Sign in to follow this  
d0zerz

How socially liberal are you?

I'm NOT talkin' politics here punks!

I'm talking about how easily you're offended, embarassed, outraged at 'unacceptable things'...in public or in private. Like if a girl was on the rag and didn't care...would you care? If people started discussing graphic homosexual sex would it bother you?

My mother was fairly conservative in that when she saw sex or violence on tv it would upset her...though with other things she was fairly liberal. ...she started discussing her sex life, menopause, periods,.... with me when I moved out of the house (grew up) and it never bothered me ....this seems to surprise most people

Personally I'm comfortable with pretty much anything...if someone wants to start talk...I never experience that feeling of "oh I shouldn't be talking about this" but I certainly have the feeling sometimes of "this is inappropriate in the given situation"...but that's more about impression management than me being uptight.

Now that I think of it...this is a supid poll given that this is OJ....I'm not sure how anyone could survive this place as a social conservative.

depends.

it takes alot to piss me off most of the time but sometimes little things bring out the rage-ahol :mad:

Originally posted by Stocklin

It drives me nuts when my ex-wife chews food while talking to me on the phone.

Uptight asshole! :mad:

My girlfriend goes apeshit when I slurp my soup :confused: ...but she's got no problem with me tieing her up, filming her nude and then having my way with her.

:confused:

Originally posted by d0zerz

Uptight asshole!
:mad:

My girlfriend goes apeshit when I slurp my soup
...but she's got no problem with me tieing her up, filming her nude and then having my way with her.

:D

Yeah, it doesn't make any sense.

Originally posted by Tioga_Man

...as they say

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

I don't get what this is in reference to. :confused:

a side note: This poll is far less one sided than i anticipated... :confused:

In general I'm all for open conversation about just about anything and it doesn't "offend" me in itself, but I also think there's a time and a place for these things; there's a lot that I wouldn't discuss except with people I'm close to. I also think that some people go out of their way to start conversations that they know will push other people's buttons, just for the attention or to be mean spirited, and that bugs the fuck out of me. There IS a difference between being uptight/easily offended, and wanting to be treated with civility and respect (although some people try very hard to blur that line). "Too much truth" CAN be a subtle form of trying to control others. And there are some things that probably ought to outrage us (there are good reasons to be outraged) but we've become callous to them in the name of "social freedom" - I don't think that's good.

very very very liberal socially - violence, sex, swearing etc.. don't bother me, but I think my generation are very desensitized to that kind of thing now because it's just everywhere.. it's hard to avoid seeing those things on tv, in magazines, on billboards etc..

some things do offend and outrage me, but in general I think I'm hard to shock

I've seen and heard just about everything, and I'm pretty jaded about it. Not much in life surprises me anymore - except when something good happens! :D

As for nasty, vulgar stuff, it's just information to me. Which doesn't necessarily mean I want to hear it again.

Terry D.

As for conversation, I'm open to most anything. What I cannot tolerate is when someone wants to discuss some extremely personal topic in public, loudly, that might include taboo of some sort.

I am capable of talking very quietly in public, and still can be heard by whomever I'm speaking, but then that other person will just open up their big mouths and proclaim to the world that they like being tied up.

It's just mortifying to have to deal with that bullshit.

As far as how people treat me, I'm pretty liberal. I've heard every insult known to mankind and I'm able to sluff it off without being offended. I'm good at poking fun at myself. As for how people treat my wife and kid, I am rigidly conservative. I will not stand for someone mistreating them.

I am somewhat conservative when it comes to television. I don't like when they tart young girls up and send the message that at 13 years old it's good to dress like a whore.

I don't think the word "liberal" applies here.

This seems to be about how "crude" you are, or how much "crudeness" you'll tolerate in others.

Terry D.

I've lived in Iowa all my life, but my family is still has rigid Norwegian values. Pretty uptight and we never talk about feelings, or sex, or anything 'vulgar.' I have no problem talking about that stuff with friends or acquanitances, however. Something like Goatse might make me flinch.

Originally posted by Lee Flier

In general I'm all for open conversation about just about anything and it doesn't "offend" me in itself, but I also think there's a time and a place for these things; there's a lot that I wouldn't discuss except with people I'm close to. I also think that some people go out of their way to start conversations that they know will push other people's buttons, just for the attention or to be mean spirited, and that bugs the fuck out of me. There IS a difference between being uptight/easily offended, and wanting to be treated with civility and respect (although some people try very hard to blur that line). "Too much truth" CAN be a subtle form of trying to control others. And there are some things that probably
ought
to outrage us (there are good reasons to be outraged) but we've become callous to them in the name of "social freedom" - I don't think that's good.

+1, well-said, and I agree in full.

cheers,

Ian

I'm so conservative that I'm liberal, according to liberals who know me. I say take away everything that doesn't condne life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness and isn't harmful to others, That's right, no religions..I'm too conservative to be swayed by such modern ideas as those that religions spawned from.

Originally posted by Stocklin

that might include taboo of some sort.

The hell with taboo's!! WTF is that? Something you can't or shouldn't talk about? Shit, if it exists, it's part of life, and it can be discussed.

I don't go out of my way to offend people ('cept on OJ when I feel like acting the prick)! However, I can and will talk about pretty much anything. If you got a problem with that, you don't have to join in the conversation. But if I'm not insulting you or something, what's the problem?

What's un-talkable? Scat butt sex? Hey, if you wanna talk about it, go ahead, I'm all ears, but it doesn't mean I have anything to contribute. Paedophilia? Shit, that is horrible, but we can talk about it. Incest? Beastiality?

I firmly believe that the less peeps keep things suppressed, the less peeps we have in closets, the less peeps we have with skeletons in them, and the more open a society is, the healthier it will also be!

:wave:

Originally posted by MrKnobs

I don't think the word "liberal" applies here.

This seems to be about how "crude" you are, or how much "crudeness" you'll tolerate in others.

Terry D.

lib