Squeaky Bass Drum Pedal

kenm

• Members

Hi All,

Put new heads on my kit this weekend and noticed that my kick pedal was squeaking really badly. It's a DW 7000 if that matters. It seemed to be the spring. Any suggestions?

Ken

• Members

an idea that is usualy a quick fix is to take a peice of duct tape and wrap it around your spring once or one and a half times. not too tight either. of course it will make a small difference in the feel but all you have to do is tighten the spring a little more or whatever to yrou liking. this has worked in all squeaky spring applications i have ever had and when guys in other bands have the same problem i suggest that and they are always happy with the results. its especially great for a quick fix in the studio. and also, dont use WD-40 on that. after time, WD-40 turns into a glue and you will have to take yrou pedal apart and clean it all out and re grease it. i woudl rather just have a little tape gunk on the spring than WD-40 on the whole pedal.

• Members

It's probably not the spring itself, but more likely one of the places where the spring connects.

Take the pedal off the drum and try to isolate EXACTLY which end of the spring is causing the problem, then take it apart and spray everything down with WD-40. Then put it back together and see if it's gone. If not, try the other end.

Springs, alone, are usually silent. To prove this to yourself, take the spring off and tie some heavy string to each end, and then stretch the spring...should be silent. That means the problem is most likely where the spring connects to another part of the pedal.

Minor squeaking isn't really a big deal unless you're in the studio. Live, it'll be almost impossible to hear.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

wd-40 is a penetrating oil, not the best thing to treat moving parts with unless you want to apply it repeatedly. It's more for lubricating parts you cannot gain access to or to help back out bolts, etc. I say you take it apart and give it a real good cleaning with some solvent then put some white lithium grease on it. You won't have to do anything to it after that to maintain it for quite some time. You can get solvent/degreaser and white lithium grease at an autoparts store real cheap. Maybe 99 cents for solvent and $2 for the grease.

PS. Petroleum jelly will eat through rubber, so i wouldn't recommending using it in case you have any rubber washers or bumpers.

• Members

Originally posted by stapes2260

PS. Petroleum jelly will eat through rubber, so i wouldn't recommending using it in case you have any rubber washers or bumpers.

heh heh - you said petroleum jelly and rubber - heh heh

Rubber!?! Washer?!? Bumper!?! I hardly even know her!!!

• Members

Originally posted by ulank

you joke about it, but there's a lot of people who let one slip past the goalie cuz they dont' know vasoline eats through rubber.

• Members

you joke about it, but there's a lot of people who let one slip past the goalie cuz they dont' know vasoline eats through rubber.

Slip past the goalie! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Man, you're killin me!

• 17 years later...
  • Members
On 4/22/2003 at 2:37 PM, ulank said:

WTF🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣!!!!

• Members

seriously, wtf....   this thread is 17 years old...  ??    

some of the regulars get a little testy when folks resurrect necro-threads...  threads old and moldy with little redeeming value...  i find some of them entertaining, but not enough to seek them out for a re-poast...  ymmv...   

Archived