Sign in to follow this  
pjb

OCDP vented snares: WHY?

I like OCDP drums.

But can someone please tell me why they drill enormous holes in the shells of their snares? Surely this would kill whatever resonance the shell would have had.....

If this topic has already been addressed, excuse my ignorance:(

But can someone please tell me why they drill enormous holes in the shells of their snares?

To sell drums because it's "different".

Some may not remember in the 80's when Ludwig had their "Slotted Coliseum" snare that had a separated top and bottom half of the shell with the slot around the middle. Same thing.

spaun does them now.

and if not mistaken, spaun seems to know what their doing so i guess these things work, i have never heard one before though.

I've got a 5x14 OCDP vented snare (I got it for free...sort of). The sound can be described as loud, dry, loud, and with a lot of crack (not the butt type...nor the kinda ya smoke). Most of all, it's loud - it can cut through about anything.

Originally posted by chops

spaun does them now.

and if not mistaken, spaun seems to know what their doing so i guess these things work, i have never heard one before though.

And OCDP knows what they are doing as well. If you listen to rock/metal/punk you have most likely heard one on a cd or at a live show.

it's a fad like anything else. The fact that they make it sound like some kind of engineering marvel is what pisses me off. It's not like they did all kinds of acoustic analysis on the shells, they just used a hole saw and went to town. They are marketers at OCDP, not engineers.

I really hate it when there are all kinds of truly innovative products being made out there and everybody pays attention to ocdp because of who they endorse. Companies like arbiter and Rocket shells are the truly innovative companies.

I don't care who uses them, I like the sound of the thick ply vented snares for my music.

BTW, I just got a 6x14 rocket shells snare on WED and its SWEET! I have it tuned nice and tight with die cast hoops . Very nice snare!

Originally posted by stapes2260

it's a fad like anything else. The fact that they make it sound like some kind of engineering marvel is what pisses me off. It's not like they did all kinds of acoustic analysis on the shells, they just used a hole saw and went to town. They are marketers at OCDP, not engineers.

Ageed. The Ludwig Colesieum snare accomplished the same thing.

IMHO, when I buy a drum shell, I want to hear the shell as part of the sound of the drum, so removing large portions if it seems counter productive. It seems like if you want no shell sound, you could just invent some sort of shell-less roto-tom snare to accomplish the same thing, and save some bucks by not buying shells in the first place. Instead, guys are taking 20 ply shells with very little resonance, and putting multiple vents in them, essentially rendering the shell useless except as a place to mount the lugs, strainer, and butt.

Anyway, to each is own.

Although I don't own one, I'd list the Pearl Free Floating snare as another innovative design. Someday, I hope to get one and start collecting dozens of shells to use with it...steel, brass, bronze, maple (various thicknesses), birch (various thicknesses), etc., etc. Very cool that you can buy 1 drum and swap out literally endless combinations of shells.

earl free floaters are awesome. i have a couple different shells i use on mine and it been awesome. i do get many complements on that drum when i use it. but also, my friend has a 5x14 ocdp vented snare and he sucks at tuning and he always manages to make it sound not to its full potential and everyone always comments on how my much much cheaper conaway 5x14 snare sounds 100 times better than his. sooo...unless you have the know how or a tech who has the know how, its not about the tools you have, its how you use em'.

unless you have the know how or a tech who has the know how, its not about the tools you have, its how you use em'.

Wouldn't how you use them be part of the know-how? And it is, in part, about the tools you have.

Originally posted by unicorn princess

earl free floaters are awesome. i have a couple different shells i use on mine and it been awesome. i do get many complements on that drum when i use it. but also, my friend has a 5x14 ocdp vented snare and he sucks at tuning and he always manages to make it sound not to its full potential and everyone always comments on how my much much cheaper conaway 5x14 snare sounds 100 times better than his. sooo...unless you have the know how or a tech who has the know how, its not about the tools you have, its how you use em'.

That's because it's the same drum shell, ocdp just marks it up 500% .

I have a 6.5x14" pearl free floating maple and it's the best snare i've ever played. I got it in brand new condition on ebay for $180 and i'll never give it up until it's pulled from my cold, dead hands.

Originally posted by deathgrindPA

loud snares. Also you can get like a 30 some ply or so snare by ocd with vents. They do almost anything.

They will do up to 40 ply. I have an OCDP 7x12 30 ply ported maple with three 2-1/4 vents. Excellent snare for applications that require a loud snare with an enormous amount of crack. You can get a similar amount of crack from a steel shell but its alot more harsh and has alot of ring. The 30 ply maple has a very warm sound and no excess ring. It worked so well i got rid of my Bell Brass.

Granted, its NOT for applications that require a more muted snare sound. Vented snares are great, if used in the right application. If your always playing the same style of music, great, but if you are all over the place with your music style, avoid them. Versatile they are not.

Originally posted by Black Frog

To sell drums because it's "different".

Some may not remember in the 80's when Ludwig had their "Slotted Coliseum" snare that had a separated top and bottom half of the shell with the slot around the middle. Same thing.

At least the slotted shell was original!

I don't even have a vent in my snare shell.LOL!

Tim