FearMeWithMyLP

are the Sabian B8's good cymbals? I know nothing about cymbols.

I'm a beginner. Many people have said that the best way to get cymbals is to just buy the good cymbals now and skip the whole beginner cymbals. I wanted a reasonably priced cymbal set and was wondering if these are pretty good cymbals. I don't need top notch, just not junk ones

Sabian B8 Performance Pack

B8's are junk. But they're the best junk for the money. 42% off list price isn't bad, but you can get better (though not by much, maybe 50%).

If you want to save money, get all your cymbals used.

If you want to save money but buy new cymbals that you'll have for a while, get B8 pro.

Zildjian and Paiste are better in some ways but noticeably more expensive, especially in Canada.

My advice to you is to shop around and head immediately to the pile of used cymbals in each store after educating yourself about the price range you're looking for and what sound you want. If you want crap cymbals, get B8's. They're good for crap cymbals and I have a friend who made an entire set from them, hats, ride, china, and at least two crashes. Didn't sound amazing but didn't sound bad.

The B8 pro is probably your best bet without going to the AA's etc.

I use Sabian AAX cymbals. Great sound, bright with great tone. I tried a Sabian B8 Medium crash but it was to dark and to much sustain, for me. It would be excellent for heavy metal.

I have to disagree with the B8 Pros. Trust me, I've had a complete set ever since Sabian put them on the market...probably going on 10 years. They were fine for practice and while I was in high school (even college). But now that I'm playing out more, I'm going to invest in Sabian HH cymbals. As was stated, they are VERY dark sounding. The ride gets a lot of undertones, even when playing straight 8ths on it. The hi-hats are ok, nothing special. Crashes seem to ring forever. My china doesn't have that abrupt trashy sound...it sounds like a cracked crash and rings just as long as the regular crashes. About the only cymbal I really like is my 10" china splash. It's fast and cutting. My main gripe with these cymbals is that they are impossible to keep looking new. In as little as a few months they started to look like crap, no matter how much I cleaned them. They start corroding almost as soon as you touch them. They are also coated with something like a lacquer. That's why sabian says to use their spray cleaner instead of paste cleaner. The problem with this lacquer is that it chips and flakes easily. It doesn't take long for your sticks to do a number on it. You see stick marks all over your cymbals and you can't get rid of them.

Just my opinion, but STAY AWAY! It's worth the extra $40-$70 per cymbal to get the AA or AAX...not to mention you'll be much prouder to own them. I'm always a little embarrassed when I have to play somewhere with my B8 Pro's. Everyone else I see has AA/AAX or Zildjian K's or A's. At least I'm going to spoil myself now with HH's!

i have been playing for a little over 2 years. i have b8's. they are ok, but i wouldn't suggest them. at the minimum get b8 pros, but i would suggest getting some sort of b20-type cymbal instead of the b8-type. i just got an AAX crash and it sounds worlds better than any of my b8's. not to mention the b8's break very easily. my set came with b8's so i had just added a couple more to make it complete for the time being (and also i was broke :p). they do the job decently, but that's about it. do yourself a favor and buy a better set from the start...you'll be saving money in the long run.

look at it this way, you can buy a crash for $125 now -or- buy a $50 crash now, and end up buying a $125 crash in the near future($175) :)

I wouldn't go with b8's. You will surely grow out of them, and you will end up saying to yourself "why didn't I get really good cymbals to begin with?" By the way, I see you corrected your spelling of cymbals in your post. Bravo!

Originally posted by dogxray

I use Sabian AAX cymbals. Great sound, bright with great tone. I tried a Sabian B8 Medium crash but it was to dark and to much sustain, for me. It would be excellent for heavy metal.

Not a chance. For heavy metal I need AAX and HHX. HH or AA, if you want a more vintage sound. But B8's? Not a chance.

But you have to admitt, B8's work best in loud situations where cut is as important as tonal qualities; metal being one of these.

Side-sticking quarters on the bell of a B8 ride in a metal band just fits better than say, holding a tastful swing pattern in a jazz situation. Don't cha think?

Originally posted by Mofishes

But you have to admitt, B8's work best in loud situations where cut is as important as tonal qualities; metal being one of these.

Side-sticking quarters on the bell of a B8 ride in a metal band just fits better than say, holding a tastful swing pattern in a jazz situation. Don't cha think?

I don't have to admit anything because the AAX series has way more cut to it than anything I've played besides an Earth Ride.

If you've been using a B8 to do metal, I recomend you go out and buy yourself a 22" AAX "Metal" Ride.

93967n.jpg

No question B8's are crap. And no, I don't own any B8's nor do I play metal. If you would have read my post carefully you would understand that I was speaking about B8 cymbals and applications where they might work. I was saying that B8's are at their best in loud situations not that B8's are the best cymbals for metal. That would just be foolish.

And yes, I have had the opportunity to try all the AAX series when they were first introduced. In fact, I own a few AAX dark. As far as the "Metal" series goes... not my bag.

My friend uses all B8Pro series cymbals. They're not bad. I like the 16" medium crash. The 18" rock crash is eh...it doesn't sound right to me. The pitch just doesn't work well amongst the others, but that's just my opinion. I don't like the ride too much. But it does have an OK bell. The hihats I absolutely abhore. Closed they're decent, but open they are just overtaking and uncontrollable.

I've been borrowing 2 of them for my doom/stoner band...a 14" thin crash and the 16" medium crash. The 16" is cool, but the 14 is just too thin for my uses. But they do their job. I certainly wouldn't say they suck.

Ernie

Originally posted by FearMeWithMyLP

I'm a beginner. Many people have said that the best way to get cymbals is to just buy the good cymbals now and skip the whole beginner cymbals. I wanted a reasonably priced cymbal set and was wondering if these are pretty good cymbals. I don't need top notch, just not junk ones

Sabian B8 Performance Pack

Having searched all these low dollars sets not to long ago for my nephew, I still think the best sounding all purpose entry level pack on the market is The Sabian B8 PRO Performance Set, which includes (1pr.) B8 PRO 14" Medium Hi-Hats, (1) B8 PRO 16" Medium Crash, and (1) B8 PRO 20" Medium Ride. However, a little heavier and cymbal with a bit glassier and longer wash is the Paiste 802 Standard set. Both of these are a little more money.

Now, considering I

icky stuff.. when i began drumming i bought some and the crash sounded bad (also cracked after a couple months), the ride sounds total and complete poo (im talking about the bundle by the way) ..spend a little or a lot more money on them and you'll be a hell of a lot happier, even if all you know is like a 4x4, you'd know the difference between crap and good

Originally posted by FearMeWithMyLP

I wanted a reasonably priced cymbal set and was wondering if these are pretty good cymbals. I don't need top notch, just not junk ones

The B8's would qualify as that. They're considered a "Student" or "Entry level" cymbal, but do sound better than the "no name" cymbals you find that come with a number of the $300 drum kits.

For their price, their sound isn't bad, but you could do better for a little more $.

The B8 Pro's have a much better sound than the regular B8's, but cost a little more.

The Zildjian ZXT and Wuhan S series are two other sets that have a pretty good sound for their price as well, so I'd also try to look into those.

Originally posted by Kyrrinstoch

The Zildjian ZXT and Wuhan S series are two other sets that have a pretty good sound for their price as well, so I'd also try to look into those.

take this mans advice.. you'd be better off

I have two B8 rides; both 20" one each pro and reg. The pro is on the bright side. I prefer the regular one. The hats are kinda dead but they come standard in the "newbeat" configuration so they aren't that bad. Given all that, they function as cymbals should.