Mapex Mars Pro, any good?

Bro' FF

• Members

Hi, I am usually posting on the amp forum but dropped by for advice please...

I have a jam room that will eventually become a studio. I play bass and guitar and am well-equipped to have guests over to play with my gear; they just bring their guitar or bass. That being said, it is all but impossible to get a drummer over for an evening jam because of the setup/takedown hassle factor. I play in a band that rehearses at another location where the drums are...

Anyway, all that to say that I am not a drummer, but want to buy a good quality kit to set up in my jam room so I can have other drummers over to play and make it convenient for everyone. Show up, play, go home. No hassles. I found a Mapex Mars Pro kit, a big kit (double bass, four mounted toms, floor tom, standard snare, piccolo snare) that includes all hardware and 10 cymbols (Zildjian and Paiste) as well as all the associated stands, cases, and "throne." I already know this is extreme overkill for what I need but also know I can part out whatever I may not need/want and get some cash back. That aside, my main concern is quality. I know the cymbols are right up there, and would move easily if I ever decided to sell, but how about the drums? Where are Mapex made, and how does this "Mars Pro" kit stand up to other brands, quality and tone-wise?

PS the reason I am considering this particular kit is that the guy needs a guitar amp and I can work a sweet trade deal and get in at what I feel is a bargain. What value (ballpark of course) would you place on the above kit, assuming excellent condition? He says he just installed all new Remo heads too.

Thanks in advance for helping me to make an informed decision. ~Tim

• Members

Thank you... I found an old post with this link:

http://www.drumguru.com/aboutbuyingdrumsets.htm

This page seems to contain unbiased opinion and info that would put the Mapex on par with other semi-professional quality drums. I'll see if I can snag the set at a reasonable price. He wanted $2K for everything, but I think I can get in on trade at around $1,200.00 actual cost.

• Members

Well, I did the deal... I ended up getting two bass kicks, four mounted toms, one floor tom, the matching Mapex snare, and a Pearl "piccolo" snare for drums. All hardware, kind of a blackish-gray finish (transparent ash is what I think it was called), all with padded cases, all just like new with new Remo heads. DW5000 double-kick pedal, Gibralter high-hat, throne, and 8 other cymbals (Zildjian A Custom and Paiste HH or something like that) from a 22" and 18" ride down to a 10" splash. All with stands, hardware, etc. and gig bags for the cymbals and stands.

They have maple liners and are the thick 8-ply shells so they should last too. He is bringing them over on Wednesday to set them up for me. Cool guy, and he got just exactly the amp he was looking for so it worked out for both of us.

Thanks to those who helped.

• Members

Ok, got the kit into the music room and set up. I am surprised at how many pieces can fit together in a reasonably small footprint!

Once again, the transparent black Mapex Mars Pro kit consists of two 22"x18" bass kicks, 8", 10", 12"x10", 12"x12" and 16" toms, 14"x 4" Pearl maple piccolo snare, matching 14"x7" Mapex snare (not pictured), DW5000 double-kick pedal, Gibralter high-hat with Paiste 13" cymbals, Paiste and Zildjian 8" splash, 14", 16", 18"(thin) 18" (thick) crashes, 20" ride (also have 22" to interchange), and 18" trash cymbals. The stands are mostly Mapex with a couple of other lighter stands for the two smallest cymbals. Roc-sock throne, padded soft cases, sticks, bag, cowbell, and hat trick. Also an additional bracket to mount two toms on a stand in lieu of the other kick if I wanted to set it up that way.

That Pearl snare sounds killer, really bright and tight. Overall, the kit seems of very good quality, and rocks hard. It was given a thorough beating for a few hours this evening and asked for more! Here is a pic for your viewing pleasure.

26488875-5a5a-02000180-.jpg

26489750-8c3e-02000180-.jpg

Archived