Is there any DJ that is like the Eddie Van Halen or Jimi Hendrix of the DJ world?

Dr. Tweedbucket

• Members

...in no particular order....

Larry Levan
Richie Hawtin
DJ Three
Danny Tenaglia
Paul Oakenfold
Paul Van Dyk
David Morales
Frankie Knuckles
Ron Hardy
Merlin Bobb
Louie Vega
Afrika Bambaataa
DJ Kool Herc
Mr Magic
DJ Red Alert
DJ Clark Kent
DJ Cash Money
DJ Scratch (EPMD)
DJ Cheese (Word of Mouth)
Grandwizard Theodore
Grandmaster Flash
Frankie Crocker (WBLS)
Eddie Rivera (IDRC)
Louie "Lou" Gorbea (IDRC / Ashe)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Have any of you guys ever heard of DJ D-Styles? He put out an album made entirely from scratching

http://www.sandboxautomatic.com/abstract/phan001.html

What about Ricci Rucker & Mike Boo?

http://oishi.com.tw/articlecontent.php?message_id=153

These guys make all their compositions out of scratching. Its different from Shadow because instead of using computers, MPCs, etc., in production, everything is composed and played live strait off the turntable. Drums aren't programed, they are scratched, live, with kick and snare samples. You can actually perform the songs live with 4-5 DJs.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

paul choke n fold....you must be kidding.

frankie knuckles, larry levan... would be the hendrix's

q-bert, shadow etc. would be the eddies

all paul oakenfold did was get idoits to start
worshiping dj's like they were god's and brainwash people with trance music....

STOP DJ WORSHIP!

we just play other peoples records duh!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Hey dude...i'm not a musician or a dj....but your never going to get where you want to go if you can't get over not having the success you think you deserve because of dj's. It's clear thats what you feel even if you wont say it. Buddy....if you suck no one is going to care about you. Get over it. I dont consider DJ's musicians. But they are entertainers. People pay to see them. The good ones package music in a way they appeals to people. Why dont you rail against radio DJ's? They're not musicians either. They're just playing records. If i went to see a DJ and he played some great sample of some guitar riff...I might want to go find out who it was from...and buy their {censored}ing music. I might not otherwise be exposed to it. And If i was in that band I'd be happy somebody was led to my music and I wouldn't really care how they got there. Asshole...The first band I liked as a kid was the Beastie Boys....lots of samples. I wanted to find out who created some of those sounds.....which led me to Led Zeppelin. I thought they were greatest....which led me to the blues covers which account for about 25% of their catalog. And now I have hundreds of blues CD's. So quit your bitching, get over the fact your not going to have the success you think should, and get a job. It's over. Sell car's or something and give up the music. It will be better for your mental health I dont have to waste my time replying to your stupid ass posts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by sydfan

Hi. Larry Lujak was a DJ here in Chicago when I was groing up. I remember h9im playing Captain and Tennelle, Neil Sedaka, and Maureen McGovern.

He was on WLS 890 AM in Chicago.

DJ.

...animal stories.....

Oh, Mandy

Well, you came and you gave without taking

but I sent you away

Oh, Mandy

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
Originally posted by OneMixDJ

...in no particular order....

Larry Levan

Richie Hawtin

DJ Three

Danny Tenaglia

Paul Oakenfold

Paul Van Dyk

David Morales

Frankie Knuckles

Ron Hardy

Merlin Bobb

Louie Vega

Afrika Bambaataa

DJ Kool Herc

Mr Magic

DJ Red Alert

DJ Clark Kent

DJ Cash Money

DJ Scratch (EPMD)

DJ Cheese (Word of Mouth)

Grandwizard Theodore

Grandmaster Flash

Frankie Crocker (WBLS)

Eddie Rivera (IDRC)

Louie "Lou" Gorbea (IDRC / Ashe)

:eek:
:thu:

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I agree DJ’s are not musicians! You can’t compare 2 of the greatest artists of all time to someone who uses a computer and doesn’t play any real instruments. If the great artists like Hendrix and Lennon were still alive there wouldn’t be any room for DJ’s to exist I miss Hendrix, if only they had drug rehab back then or at least something to help he might still be alive today.

• Members

Add Kenny Jammin Jason, Farley Jackmaster Funk, and David Mancuso to that list. Farley embarrassed Grandmaster Flash head to head with a totally new style of scratching that was later adopted by ALL future world DJ champions, such as Cash Money and Bad Boy Bill. Kenny Jammin Jason perfected beat mixing, phasing, and backspinning way back in the 70's. Mancuso played at the

Loft in New York and defined the underground dance club as we know it.

• 1 month later...
  • Members
The turntable is NOT a musical instrument ...
:cop:

define a musical instrument then... i bet you never seen any dj who do more then simple beat matching.

i bet drumcomputers arn't a music instrument either... or maybe a computer? is no musical instrument either, right... unless you make rock music with it, with a virtual piano plugin or whatever.. then it is? :poke:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Z-Trip is the man for me... Him and Rob Swift.

HA! I was reading the thread, wondering if Z-Trip would make it...That dude is SICK. I have a MP3 of him Mixing 45's in L.A. that is simply disgusting.

Interesting that I hear tiesto and Oakenfold... Trance stuff. But what about the Original House guys? I see Knuckles, but not much else... There's just some great stuff out there... but also I would throw in one of My Fav's Chuck Love... great deep house, and he plays his own instruments, then goes an spins it. Not too shabby.

Todd A.

• Members

alright my spankys... I'm new to this forum... ths has been an interesting thread to read... I see two questions to answer here... Who is the inovator and are dj's musicians? The inovator..... There are different levels of dj's out there using equipment that has exploded and changed the way dj's work over the as five years or so. If you look at Ritchie Hawtins Dex effects and 909 release versus his later stuff you will hear a big difference. Why? things went from using turntables and drum machines, and effects to using laptops to dj. There are thos dj's who create loops from songs and pick them apart to put back together with other songs to make a mix seamless with the computers... these are DJ's Then there are those such as hawtin and even sasha who no one has mentioned who deconstruct songs... use parts and add samples of other songs... create new rythms and soundscapes... remix and create music live with LIVE. These are musicians. Hawtin completely deconstructs and creates new music to the point it is difficult to tell where the samples came from. He is as his style suggests very minimal. Sasha on the other hand is a bit more airy and sophisticated... not necessarily for the boys... a bit more sultry. You can't compare them directly to van halen and henrix as their moods don't fit the same mold. They are both inovators of the modern dj as musician era. By the way Hawtin is not only the man... he and john aquaviva created the first final scratch system... that's right... created it... then sold the idea to a company to produce and distribute the equipment. That's f$#%&^g innovation right there I don't care who you are. Funny but I heard them back in 91 when they were known as cybersonic... they opened for moby and the prodigy before anyone knew who they were. To say that Dj's are not musicians is correct. Some Dj's have now become electronic lap top playing musicians. Oe created his own instuments.... I didn't see Eddie or Jimmy do that. So please... there is no comparisson... you are correct to assume that.

Archived