short stack toms

Earlster

• Members

Has anyone played a kit with short stack toms like those made by DW and other custom drum kit manufacturers? If so, how did they sound? Were they as full sounding as a normal sized tom? John Blackwell was playing them with Prince the other night at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ceremony, and they sounded thin. But, that might have been a mixing problem.

• Members

The kit John Blackwell used at the RNRHOF looked like this same one pictured at the Tama website:

Blackwell.jpg

Those toms aren't quite as shallow as the Short Stack toms which look like they're only 5 or 6 inches deep. According to Tama his setup is Starclassic Maple 16X20, 18X22 Bass Drums, 8X8, 8X10, 8X12 Mounted Toms, 14X13, 14X14, 16X16 Floor Toms and 5.5 X 13 Starclassic Maple Snare. I know for sure the kit was a Starclassic Maple beause I caught a glimpes of the painted "badge" at one point. I didn't think he sounded bad, but I may have been distracted by his flashiness. That dude is a showman!

• Members

up until about 10 or 15 years ago, basically ALL drum kits came with shorter toms (like the posted JOhn Blackwell kit).

at that point "power toms" started getting popular and are now the "standard"

if you want to know how they sound... bascially any drum you hear recorded on any record before the late 80's was a short tom. (maybe not quite as short as the DW kit you attached though)

all the manufactureres still sell them, and many drummers still use them. they probably will not give you the same sound you hear on most recording today, but they still sound good (depending on what you like of course)

you should listen for yourself... as you can usually find a kit or two with standard tom sizes in any of the big chain stores.

Archived