Which instruments do i really need from the beginning to play Eurodance/Trance?

Halide

• Members

Originally posted by Halide

What is a Kazoo? I need more specific answers please

Don't waste your time listening to that guy... I'm not really too experienced in what you're asking about, but I can certainly give you better advice than what you've gotten so far.

There are a couple different roads you can travel down when you're starting off composing music like the kinds you're interested in. Up until a few years ago, if you wanted to make this stuff it meant buying loads of expensive pieces of individual hardware to accomplish the various tasks involved in music production. Drum machines, synthesizers, sequencers, compressors, eq's, effects units, and tons of other things were basically stand alone pieces of equipment that were networked together by the user and used in conjunction to create the music. This is road A.

Road B is sitting right in front of you. Recent growth in PC music production capabilities has been nothing short of staggering, and everything that all that gear listed above accomplished can now basically be done on your computer with fairly limited extra hardware. Software is available in very comprehensive packages that will allow you to compose a piece of music from start to finish all in one place. Take a look at somethig like Propellerhead's Reason for an idea of what these programs are all about. Some programs are preferred over others for certain tasks, but as my experience with them is pretty limited I can't really get into specifics. Basically this has leveled the playing field between the composer using a laptop in his living room and the composer sitting behind a giant mixing board in his big expensive studio.

Most people that start out nowadays go the PC route as it's cheaper, easier to find the equipment you want, takes up a lot less space, and produces basically the same product. Of course there are people out there who still swear by the old methods, preferring the sound of the analog gear and the traditional knob twisting, physically intuitive interface. I think most of those people already know who they are, but who knows...

This is over simplified a little bit of course. There is a middle ground between the two where PC's can be used in conjunction with outboard equipment, but if you're looking for a starting point you'll probably want to focus on one of the two directions.

And just for argument's sake, you hum into a kazoo, not just blow...

• Members

I started off mucking around with really basic programs like ejay. I made some fairly decent stuff surprisingly, not so surprisingly, my abilities and ambitions outgrew the capabilities of ejay.

So for a while a tried Magix Music maker 7. This was not a bad stepping stone, it enabled me to see more clearly what I was actually doing, instead of just trial and error like on ejay.

Before long I outgrew Music Maker, so I picked up a demo of Cubase SX. This was my epiphany. Unfortunately the demo was limited to no exports and no saves, but I could see its huge potential. So I got myself a copy, wonderful.

So with all this new potential I got loads of VSTis (Virtual Instruments), started playing around with the sounds and composing in midi. All great fun.

The last year or so I've invested heavily in hardware synthesizers, just to beef up my sound and to get a bit more hands on. The sounds aren't any better than the best VSTis, but they respond much better. It is far more fun twisting the knobs than moving the mouse, believe me. Also it means I can control all my VSTis from the hardware unit.

So right now for me, the sequencing engine is Cubase SX on the PC, I run several VSTis when needed, sample all my beats, and use the hardware stuff for fun and for my 'sound'.

Best of luck, it's a long, expensive path, but if you take it easy you won't go far wrong.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

mul, have you ever played with Reason?

I'm interested in hearing some of the major differences between that and cubase.

Where did you pick up the demo of cubase? Was it for mac or windows?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by Halide

Im a noob...I just want to get a stepping stone on what instruments should i aquire first to play Eurodance/Trance...I do not know how to play them yet though but i jus wan an idea on what i really need....thanks
:)

Start off by taking some piano lessons.

• Members

Reason is all anyone needs. I have been using it for just over a year now. It rocks. I think it is one the most computer friendly music programs out there, meaning its no RAM hog. You can make any music you want with it too. My pops uses the Redrum to make rock drum beats, and lays bass lines with the NNXT. BUT then again, I am biased I'll be honest. I love Reason (still need to pick up 3.0 upgrade)

Cheers

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Originally posted by DJAW

I'm interested in hearing some of the major differences between that and cubase.

Hi DJAW, sorry it took so long to reply, i don't tend to look at this forum too much, spend most time on KSS.

Reason was recommended to me as the best when I was first starting out, but I've never tried it. I like Cubase, it does everything I want at the moment, and I know it pretty much inside out. Plus it's an absolute breeze to sync all my hardware equipment to it.

The demo I got was actually off the Steinberg website, as far as i can remember it was fully functional except no saves and no export.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Originally posted by DJAW

REASON I'd have to agree would be an excellent program to start with. Alot of these TRANCE/EURODANCE producers aren't really playing instruments though. They're using SYNTHESIZERS AND PLUG-INS off of computer audio programs. To try and play the piano you'd have to be like SPEEDY GONZALES or something unless you got some recording tricks up your sleeve.

BT, if you've ever heard of him, uses nothing but plug-ins, plug-ins, and more plug-ins to make his AWESOME trance sounds.

Archived