Pulse drums?

elevate

• Members

My step-mother-in-law has sought my assistance in picking out a kit for her 12 year old son. I'm not really sure how much she wants to spend, but I'm assuming not much as I'm thinking this is going to turn out to be one of those 'phases'. A quick search at Musician's Friend, turned up this: Pulse Pro 5-Piece Drum Set with Cymbals. I realize the drums probably aren't all that great and the cymbals most likely suck, but would this suffice, at least to learn on?

• Members

Pulse drumsets are generally crap, although that one seems like fairly decent crap. Having said that, beggers can't be choosers, right? If I was given that kit when I was 12, I would have been elated. With good heads, the drums might not sound too bad. If the cymbals are those Pulse/Paistes, they'll be good enough to get him started (if they are typical, generic, tin foil, cheap cymbals however, they'll be useless in a month).

IMO, her best bet would probably be to buy a used Tama Swingstar, Pearl Forum, Yamaha YD, etc. and some used Sabian B8s, Zildjian ZBTs, Paiste #02s, etc. That way, if this is just a passing phase, she can sell everything when he gets bored with it and get almost all of her money back because it's all name brand gear. Used Pulse kits are basically give aways.

Just my 2

• Members

My old drummer had a Pulse Pro Lacquer kit. The shells and hardware were very good. The drums themselves sounded great, and everything functioned as it should. The stands and the pedal were good too. The cymbals the set came with were {censored} though. He replaced those right away. I don't if the regular Pulse Pro is the same, so it may be worth the extra $100 for the Lacquer kit.

• Members

My Pulse kit (not the lacquer one) is working great for me. It needed new heads which I have slowly replaced, but otherwise is problably about the best deal you'll find - I got my set for $250 (without the lame cymbals) and I still find it hard to believe that I got a decent, playable drum kit for that price.

If he ends up liking it, he can improve the kit drastically with new heads. It will give him a great reason to learn all about tuning, as well.

• Members

The youth at my church have the lacquer version of this kit. It's a decent kit for the money. It was an inexpensive kit. Shells and drum hardware look good. This is the black satin finish. Bearing edges look ok.

The bass pedal is junk but I'd say use it until it breaks....but plan on getting a new one in the not too distant future. The other stands and hardware are lightweight and could esily be stripped out if not careful.

Cymbals? I'm not even certain I'd call them that. Gold toned sheet metal stamped in circles. For a first kit, it's about par.

The heads are the basic single ply clear. Some heavier heads on these make them sound alot better.

The snare was a surprise. It's got a decent throwoff.

the kit also has suspension mounts for the toms.

Overall, I still think these are decent beginner kits.

Archived