"Must Know" Songs for Acoustic Solos and Duos

jauen

• Members

I teach guitar in Baltimore (www.BaltimoreGuitarSchool.com). I have a few students who are ready to gig. They want to do solo or duo acoustic gigs in bars, pubs and small clubs. Since my duo specializes in comedy stuff and doesn't do requests (usually), I thought I'd put it to the great players at Harmomny Central.

The question is: What are the "must know" songs (maybe 25 or 30) for acoustic players who are just starting to play out?

Here's the criteria:

1. Solo or duo players (not bands)

2. Bars, pubs and small clubs (not raves, dance clubs or arenas)

3. Well-known crowd pleasers that would most likely be requested.

4. Emphasis on "Must Know." Let's avoid the "It would be nice to know"s.

5. Ignore your personal opinions. What will the audience like? (I'm sure Jimmy Buffett doesn't particularly like Margaritaville.)

6. Songs that hit a large cross section of patrons (21 to 50)

Here's my starter list:

1. American Pie - Don McLean

2. Brown eyed girl - Van Morrisson

3. Margaritaville - Jimmy Buffett

4. Take it Easy - Eagles

5. Leroy Brown - Jim Croce

6. Southern Cross - CSNY

7. Teach Your Children - CSN

8. Amie - Pure Prairie League

9. Country Roads - John Denver

10. Dock of The Bay - Otis Redding

-Whaddayathink?

- Jeff

• Members

Eric Clapton - Tears in Heaven

Eric Clapton - Layla

Metallica - Nothing Else Matters

Eagles - Hotel California

Led Zep - Stairway to Heaven (well not really for bars but whatev.. )

Jewel - Wild Horses (well she did the acoustic guitar version)

The Verve - Drugs Don't Work

It's not really a list of songs I like, but everyone who listens to acoustic guitar stuff knows em.

:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by jauen

I teach guitar in Baltimore (
www.BaltimoreGuitarSchool.com
). I have a few students who are ready to gig. They want to do solo or duo acoustic gigs in bars, pubs and small clubs. Since my duo specializes in comedy stuff and doesn't do requests (usually), I thought I'd put it to the great players at Harmomny Central.

The question is: What are the "must know" songs (maybe 25 or 30) for acoustic players who are just starting to play out?

Here's the criteria:

5. Ignore your personal opinions. What will the audience like? (I'm sure Jimmy Buffett doesn't particularly like Margaritaville.)

Here's my starter list:

4. Take it Easy - Eagles

6. Southern Cross - CSNY

-Whaddayathink?

- Jeff

I don't do any of those, never have. I don't think there is such a thing as a "must-do" list.

• Moderators

I teach guitar in Baltimore (
www.BaltimoreGuitarSchool.com
). I have a few students who are ready to gig. They want to do solo or duo acoustic gigs in bars, pubs and small clubs. Since my duo specializes in comedy stuff and doesn't do requests (usually), I thought I'd put it to the great players at Harmomny Central.

Here's the criteria:

Here's my starter list:

4. Take it Easy - Eagles

6. Southern Cross - CSNY

-Whaddayathink?

- Jeff

so much depends on the abilities of the musicians, the nature of the venue and the leanings of the crowd. I would not do 'Brown-eyed Girl', for instance, if the venue doesn't allow dancing, and I wouldn't play any John Denver for a Civil Air Patrol gathering, right?

There are tons of great songs that singles or duos can cover, and I suppose there are some that invariably get requested. I think however that many of the songs you listed there are fairly well played out...and for younger players, you might want to find some newer material.

• Members

Originally posted by daddymack

so much depends on the abilities of the musicians, the nature of the venue and the leanings of the crowd. I would not do 'Brown-eyed Girl', for instance, if the venue doesn't allow dancing, and I wouldn't play any John Denver for a Civil Air Patrol gathering, right?

There are tons of great songs that singles or duos can cover, and I suppose there are some that invariably get requested. I think however that many of the songs you listed there are fairly well played out...and for younger players, you might want to find some newer material.

Agreed. There is not one list for every performer and every venue. For purposes here, assume slightly better than average strummers and singers and your average bar/pub environment with your average bar/pub patrons (whatever that means to you).

"You might want to find some newer material..."

Like what? The whole point here is to give examples. What newer material qualifies based on the criteria listed. I'm sure there are many (John Mayer and Bare Naked Ladies comes to mind).

I've been playing since 1982 and have yet to play a Civil Air Patrol gig. Do they have that? ;-)

I don't think a song can be "played out" generally speaking. Classics are classics for a reason. Keith and Mick are still selling out the biggest venues there are. My gig-ready students are ages 14 to 24 and they're seriously into Dylan, Chuck Berry, Buffett and Neil Young.

A song can certainly be played out in a venue though. The third time through "Friends in Low Places" will usually chase them out. Good technique for clearing out at closing time. Copacabana has the same effect first time through :-)

I don't want this to become another one of those mindless threads where people argue about who's great and who sucks.

Just suggest some great stuff. There's no need to even defend your choices. I'd really like to hear from full-time players. What songs do you play that are guaranteed crowd pleasers?

- Jeff

• Members

Agreed. There is not one list for every performer and every venue. For purposes here, assume slightly better than average strummers and singers and your average bar/pub environment with your average bar/pub patrons (whatever that means to you).

"You might want to find some newer material..."

Like what? The whole point here is to give examples. What newer material qualifies based on the criteria listed. I'm sure there are many (John Mayer and Bare Naked Ladies comes to mind).

I've been playing since 1982 and have yet to play a Civil Air Patrol gig. Do they have that? ;-)

I don't think a song can be "played out" generally speaking. Classics are classics for a reason. Keith and Mick are still selling out the biggest venues there are. My gig-ready students are ages 14 to 24 and they're seriously into Dylan, Chuck Berry, Buffett and Neil Young.

A song can certainly be played out in a venue though. The third time through "Friends in Low Places" will usually chase them out. Good technique for clearing out at closing time. Copacabana has the same effect first time through :-)

I don't want this to become another one of those mindless threads where people argue about who's great and who sucks.

Just suggest some great stuff. There's no need to even defend your choices. I'd really like to hear from full-time players. What songs do you play that are guaranteed crowd pleasers?

- Jeff

okay, here are some of mine that go over well.

(One criterion that I have is that it has to be a song I like, too, or I don't play it. )

Bob Dylan:

Don't Think Twice, One Too many Mornings, Everything Is Broken, I Shall be Released, Rainy Day Woman

Stones: Ruby Tuesday, Wild Horses, Under my Thumb

Beatles: Saw Her Standing There, Lady Madonna, Oh! Darling, Maxwell's Silver Hammer, Eight Days A Week, Rocky Raccoon

John Hiatt: Lipstick Sunset, Thank You Girl, Just Like Your Dad Did, Feels Like Rain, Alone in the dark

Buncha other stuff....:thu:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I take a different approach to this. I do gigs with a partner (both of us on acoustic guitar). We play three 45 minute sets, which for us means 32-35 songs. Like bluestrat, I only play songs I personally like and quit playing them once I get sick of them.

What I do that seems to be a bit different is I break my songs into four categories: Folk, Country, Rock and Alternative. I try to make my setlists balanced between the categories, balanced between older and newer and balanced between uptempo and midtempo (slow songs don't go over well).

It works well -- I might go from Neil Young to the White Stripes to U2 to Hank Williams!!! I think the secret is that the styles are so different that it keeps it fresh. The same voice/guitar doing a bunch of midtempo John Mayer/Jack Johnson/Dave Mathews songs will lose people's interest very quickly, no matter how good you are. That's why it's a good idea to mix up the genres and tempos.

• Members

The same voice/guitar doing a bunch of midtempo John Mayer/Jack Johnson/Dave Mathews songs will lose people's interest very quickly, no matter how good you are. That's why it's a good idea to mix up the genres and tempos.

Well said. I do the same thing you do- a Dylan song, a Shawn Mullins tune, an original, a 40s tune, a Stones song, and R&B song...I like to be versatile.

Archived