Moving to a trailer soon, need ideas for soundproofing

bassfisherman

• Members

Originally posted by bassfisherman

What's so funny
:mad:

It's funny because you can not sound proof a trailer. You can deaden the space so it sounds better inside but the sound will still be heard outside.

It would be cheaper AND easier to buy one of these:

444624.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by bassfisherman

{censored} NO!!!

Drums should not be played in a trailer dude - it's just not right.

What the {censored} are you moving to a trailer for? Be cooler to go live in a lockout somewhere LOL!

• Members

Originally posted by steamyz

Drums should not be played in a trailer dude - it's just not right.

What the {censored} are you moving to a trailer for? Be cooler to go live in a lockout somewhere LOL!

It's cheap and I get to pocket a lot of money from the Navy.

Also, I'll be one of the only legals in the trailer park, so if anyone gives me any lip......boom.....they're outta here :D

Ive thought about living in a lock out, but showering and internet is a must :D

• Members

Originally posted by Rain Dog

It's funny because you can not sound proof a trailer. You can deaden the space so it sounds better inside but the sound will still be heard outside.

It would be cheaper AND easier to buy one of these:

444624.jpg

Highly unlikely Ill buy that.

• Members

My lockout has a phone line in it....i dont use it though. Dude - {censored} it - ho bath it!

Actually, I just realized that we have a shower here at the hanger bay. So far Im in business. One things for sure, if I move into a lockout, the drums wouldnt be a problem :D

Come to think about it, I met a lot of dudes living in lockouts when I was renting in Hollywood. Good times! :D

• Members

Originally posted by Skr4ped

What's a lockout?
:confused::(

It's a room us people in large cities rent in order to rehearse in or record in. You rent it month to month so you have 24hour access and can leave your gear set-up!

They run about $300-$500 a month in most areas! MUCH cheaper if you are in band than renting by the hour!

• Members

Don't listen to them. You can play drums in a trailer. I did it for about 3 years, even had band practice there for 2. I had a friend that had a metal band practice in his own trailer without any big problems. The cops visited him a couple of times but aggreed that he didn't deserve a ticket.

And no, you can't soundproof it but you can make it tolerable for your neighbors, if in fact you are in a trailer park. It takes some work and communication with you neighbors. First of all, talk to the people next door. Introduce yourself and explain what's going on. Unpleasant surprises piss people off.

You'll need to build up mass inside your room. This will take some experimentation. I got away with using soundboard but something heavier like sheetrock will work much better. Soundboard is light so it doesn't block the lows much but with enough layers it starts to add up (I probably had about 5-6 layers on my outside wall). I put some up on the rest of the walls as well and even went so far as to put up crude frames to ensure that there was air between the layers. Eventually I had a wall within a wall on three sides of the room and a bunch more hung from the door. I did my best to seal any cracks as well. Keep in mind that sound will escape through the ceiling and floor which also tend to be thin in tailers. I got lucky and happened to only need to worry about the walls.

It worked well. No complaints and I didn't have to dampen my kick drum. For the band, we moved the amps off of the floor. The bassist had to turn down a bit but the room was small so it didn't really matter, I could still hear him fine. The sound could be heard outside of the house about 20 feet away but it was muffled and traffic from the street drowned it out. The neighbor on the side where the practice room was could barely hear it and only the snare could be faintly heard from the street.

This might be good enough for you, depending on how fussy your neighbors get. You might have to go so far as to muffle your drums a bit. It depends that if your neighbors complain, who they call (park management or cops). Keep in mind that the local laws don't apply in trailer parks, you are at the mercy of the management. If they start to view you as a problem, they have the right to remove you. Before I did the intense soundboarding, I had maybe a layer or two in front of the outside wall. The fellow behind me complained and wouldn't work with me, didn't matter what time of day I offered to practice. Management visited me a few times but they only gave me warnings. Each time they visited I'd increase the soundboard until no one visited or complained. I might have been lucky with a somewhat laidback management and the rest of my neighbors (a guy a couple of doors down with a loud stereo was actually more of a problem than me).

I now live in a stick built house with a half basement so it's not a big issue, I just cover the window with a layer of sheetrock. But I got this kid two doors down that plays upstairs (also a stickbuilt) and he can be heard about 150 feet away...and much, much louder than my band was in my old trailer.

Let me know if you have more questions...good luck!!!!

• Members

NEVER admit you lived in a trailer. It NEVER happened! NEVER!

What's wrong with living in a trailer? Here's me and my first wife at our wedding reception which, incidently, was just behind our trailer.

3803.jpg

Here's my lovely neighbor, Betty Joe:

9m12.jpg

• Members

I bought a DTXPress kit recently. It's great. I don't really like practicing at full volume, this way I can sample my own drums into a software sampler, and play it with the DTXPress through MIDI. Pretty sweet.

Sound proofing a trailer is going to be an arduous task to pull off.

-Sys

• Members

Originally posted by sysera

I bought a DTXPress kit recently. It's great. I don't really like practicing at full volume, this way I can sample my own drums into a software sampler, and play it with the DTXPress through MIDI. Pretty sweet.

Sound proofing a trailer is going to be an arduous task to pull off.

-Sys

Every day, Ive been considering getting a electric set just to practice with. I saw the trailer last night and saw how thin the walls were.

• Members

Have you looked into mesh heads? I heard that those are a good solution.

Before I did any "soundproofing" used to stuff my kick full of blankets....filled it way full to quiet it down and dampened my snare with duct tape and a thin book. That worked really well.

You could also check out Sound Offs, they are hell of a lot cheaper than an e-kit.

• Members

rumblebelly had a good answer. it was nice to see somebody finally took this post seriously. It is definatly doable. I am all about creating a good practice environment, which means working on the room acoustics and soundproofing. In the end you will have a much more inspiring rehursal room.

Archived