Why is cdbaby not more popular?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

As a business major and marketing professional my opinion is that myspace and soundclick can be used as tools for people to hear our music. If they truly like the music and feel that it is worth the cost they will buy it, also CDbaby has digital distribution which also is a great benefit to the artist.

The key is that the artist or band needs to activly promote the music, if not it will not sell. People wont purcahse something if they do not know it exsists or if they do not have a sense of need. Go out play shows and spread the word about your music. Get teams to help promote you and find creative ways to attract attention. I don't sell many CD's on CDbaby but it is my fault for not advertising as much as I should.

• Members

This is intereting for me as I'm just putting my first CD out. (1st Oct)

before I did I looked at all the options & otu of all those listed above this is what I found.

Myspace : will get into selling soon, good for exposure but I'm gonna offer samples on the on-line player as the downloads are free.

CD baby. For $35 you get so much. Plus they have connections with all the major download companies in all major countries. Can't say enough for the money.

Soundclick : Hip hop based. I use it as a base to upload my mp3's. It's cheap enough. I link the songs through my website so anyone listening there is adding to my hits on soundclick, getting me good chart positions & getting more hits. It's all about exposure. Plus the back up stats let me know who likes what & what is getting listened to. I also sell singles & an album through there.

Garageband. Pretty much the same as soundclick but is more known on the net.

IAC : Expensive but the same service as soundclick/songplanet/garageband/madeplanet/ etc etc. The good thing about here is that they offer you genuine oppertunities to get your music to A&R men, films, ads, tv. Label news too.

Archived