Are Zildjian New Beats Good Hi Hats?

accameron

• Members

I am a beginner who has been looking at some hi hats to replace my Sabian B8s, mostly at some of the Sabian AA and AAX stuff. I basicly am looking for, without knowing what this particular sound is called, but that splashy sort of open sound that you hear on a lot of rock. Like that on, for lack of coming up with a great example, but the hat work on the chorus part of Metallica's "Enter Sandman," and also "Nothing Else MAtters." I went to a pawn shop today, and found a {censored}TY drumset for sale, but they had a set of Zildjian New Beats 14" hats that come with them. Are these good ones, comparable to the ones mentioned above? Will they be able to get the sound I was describing? Thanks!

• Members

New Beats are top-of-the-line hihats and are from Zildjian's "A" line. Zildjians top lines are "A", "K", and "Z". K is generally a warmer sound. A is usually a little brighter but some models within the line are little warmer and others brighter. The Z line is meant for loud, cutting playing. New Beats are great all purpose hihats.

• Members

I think that New Beats are like the SM58's of hi-hats or the Les Paul's because it seems like they are the most common. I think that they're pretty good all-around hi-hats. I have them and really like them, but I do wish they were a little bit brighter and had a more distinct "chick" sound. I personally like the mastersounds by zildjian, but have never played on them long enough to really judge them.

• Members

I use 14" A quickbeats, which are similar in sound to newbeats but are slightly higher in pitch and have a vented, flat bottom (4 holes) to release air faster, and have a more precise 'chick' sound when played by foot. I have played both and definitely recommend quickbeats over newbeats because they have a sharper more precise sound.

• Members

Hi I'm new to this forum. Accameron... remember what you hear on disk has been processed. Go to your local drum store and play different hats. There may be something you haven't heard before that you like. I play Zildjian A Custom Mastersound 14" hats and love them. However it was a tossup between those and Sabian Evolution 14" Dave Weckl hats. Let your ears be the judge and then when you have landed on what you like then look for the best price. Just a thought. No matter what you decide the most important thing is to have fun.

• Members

14" New Beats are the standard hi-hat cymbal from Zildjian's top line, used by just about everybody. They're relatively heavy and loud, and are fine for metal/hard rock.

I own and prefer the 13", but that's a personal thing.

Most of getting a good "slosh" is properly adjusting the tilt on the lower hat and getting your foot to hold it the proper distance open. With practice you can get a good slosh even when hitting very lightly.

• Members

I really like my Zildjian Quick Beats, which someone already said are similiar to the New Beats.

My guitarist (a former drummer) actually loves them, says they're among the best set he's heard/played.

Down the road I'm considering getting another set of hats, possibly looking at the Sabian HHX hats, as I absolutely love my 20'' HHX power ride and 16'' HHX stage crash.

It's all a matter of what you like in cymbals, but Yeah! the New Beats are considered very decent hi hats.

Archived