How often do you guys change your bass drum pedal springs??

tangman

• Members

Hey all

I got one of those Iron Cobra "Value Packs" the other day (2 Wooden Iron Cobra beater heads, 2 Rubber Iron Cobra Beater Heads, Wristband, Keyring and 2 Iron Cobra Springs) and I was considering changing my pedal springs because I havent changed them in almost 2 years now.

• Members

How are yoiu guys finding the tension?? Recently I found that I couldnt seem to play as fast as I used to (or it was a lot harder than usual), Im not sure if this was purely psycological or whether the springs were really starting to give way because I have been playing a LOT of death metal.

I stuck on the wooden beaters that I got in the value pack and phwam I was playing as fast as I used to play with a lot of ease (Im not sure whether this is because the wooden beaters are more responsive because obviously theyre made of solid wood).

Im still contemplating whether to change the springs because I want to play faster double bass and was wondering if it would make any difference at all.

• Members

I'd do a little research on springs. From what little I know about the stuff, it seems that a new spring will have a relatively short "break in period" and then the tension will remain pretty much constant from that time forward. Anybody else experienced this?

Anyway, IF this is true (total guess) then changing springs really doesn't do much. Changing the TYPE of spring...now THAT would be significant.

Alternately, if you change heads, beaters, or even adjust your tuning, it will have a much more pronounced effect on your feel. Could it be that your slowing down might be the result of the head slowly loosening up over time? By changing beaters, you certainly changed one variable in the equation. Head and/or tuning changes would be another variable.

Anyway, I've never changed a spring that wasn't broken. If they break, you should definitely change them, but that's all I've ever done.

• Members

I think it's good to have the extra springs on hand, but no need to change them. Springs shouldn't break frequently, but if one does and it's during a performance, you'll be glad to have the extra. Although, an extra pedal would be even better - or use the slave on a double pedal.

• Members

Before you consider changing springs, you should rotate them. It promotes even wear and you get a lot more mileage out of them. First, I would just rotate them front to back (flip em around), then later on swap em from one side to the other. Aside from rotating, I usually do a full replacement every 12 months or 30,000 bass hits. For you death metal drummers, that means you'll be replacing about once a month. :o

Archived