What does heat do to damage a drum kit?

dinrodef

• Members

after the wood is warped...what happens to the kit? IS it time for a new one? Or do most people just live with the sound?

Thanks... I've been doing a lot of searches on here... but I know so little about drums that I really need help...

Thanks

• Members

I'm asking for a friend of mine that played drums when he was a kid and stored his kit in a garage for years in Las Vegas

The black wrapping is all bubbled

When he hits the drums it sounds like a fly swatter bashing wood so I guess that means its out of tune :idea::D

Sounds like crap to me.. but what I know ... I'm a guitar player?

He's been talking about spending a few grand on a new kit and I've read a lot around here about Conaway... I'll forward him a link

Thanks guys... any other thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

What about cold conditions? I am getting a new set soon and the only place to keep my drums is the garage. And I live in Washington so it is pretty cold up here now. And I have heard that cold can affect drums, but I am not sure how which makes me very nervous. So can someone let me know what cold does to drums? Thanks.:thu:

• Members

It's a whole lot more complex than heat/cold or humid/dry. All FOUR things come into play and can screw up your drums.

Since you started with "heat" as the topic, the number 1 issue there is that you'll ruin your finish, and/or in extreme cases warp your drums. Think about it...if you want to "unglue" something, you take a heat gun to it to melt the glue. When that happens, previously glued things become unglued. So in a hot situation, your wrap will get loose, and begin to bubble (happened to me once playing in direct sunlight in about 90 degree heat). In even hotter situations, you could potentially melt the glue between the plys of your drums...not good. Bottom line, if you're playing in the sun on a warm day, try to keep your kit in the shade and/or cover it when you're not playing.

Ok, what about cold? Some guys claim that in really cold situations, you could crack your cymbals because the get brittle. I don't believe this, myself. For you to change your cymbals "brittleness" enough for it to matter, you'd have to be playing in REALLY cold temps....like well below zero. If you're playing a kit and it's -20 degrees farenheit out, you're more likely to get frostbitten hands than you are to crack a cymbal. Still, cold temps can screw with the responsiveness of your heads, and if you put your tongue on a cymbal it might stick. :D

The "really big" issue, IMHO, is humidity, which is closely tied to temperature. Bottom line, water is bad for drums (unless they're carbon fiber or acrylic or something). Understand the following and you'll be ok: warm temps allow for increased humidity, and cold temps tend to be drier. So when it's 90 degrees out, there's probably more moisture in the air than when it's 40.

Most of the time, your kit will acclimate itself to the temp/humidity in a room with no problems. The big issue here is when you CHANGE things dramatically and quickly. Here are some problematic examples:

In a REALLY extreme example, it's possible for the water in the drums to freeze. In that case, you need to remember that water expands when it freezes. That's what causes potholes in roads....water seeps into the road, freezes, expands, and literally breaks the road up. The same thing theoretically could happen to your drums. In an "ultimate worst case scenario", water could be trapped between the plys of your shells, could freeze, expand, and break your plys apart.

Before you panic, just keep the following rule of thumb in mind. If you're comfortable, your drums will be comfortable. So unless you're dealing with real extremes, if you can take it, your drums can probably take it. The only caviat to that is with heat AND sun. If you have dark colored drums, they'll absorb sunlight and turn it into heat. So while it might only be 80 degrees outside, the blacktop in the parking lot might be 120 degrees (black color, absorbs heat, burns your bare feet). Same with drums...if they're dark in color, they'll absorb the sunlight, and heat up higher than the ambient temperature.

So watch out for direct sunlight, and try to keep your drums "comfortable". In the meantime, avoid the "igloo-to-greenhouse-and-back-to-the-igloo" gigs.

• Members

well im thinking that once my band knows about 50 or more songs, (keep in mind that were kids and that we started over summer break in '05. and we only get to practice once a week)

that we would set up a stage in my front yard (i got a big yard)

on the hill (my house sits on a small hill) right in front of the house and invite a crap load of friends and people, and do a huge concert, were thinking cabinets for guitars and im thinking audix microphones for my set. (we want it loud!!) and a big PA.

it would be really cool, but now im having second thoughts about taking my drums outside, it is the only set i have and i don't wanna ruin it.

it's a gretsch blackhawk i think the shells are maple im not shure.

would heat affect an acrylic drum set?

(i could rent one maybe)

what would be the best temperature/ conditions to take them outside.

i thought maybe low 70's not alot of humidity???? maybe 60's???

thanks,

:wave:

• Members

You should have no problems here. If you're worried, why not buy a tarp and use it over where the band will be playing? Drums aren't the only things that don't like heat... guitar amps (esp. tube amps), bass racks, PA amplifiers... none of them are fond of the direct sunlight on a hot day!

• Members

Don't fret it. Outside gigs are pretty common, so you'd better get used to the concept.

Playing outside, the biggest thing to worry about is the weather. Keep an eye out for rain storms, and watch the weather forecasters every day leading up to the gig.

As long as your kit isn't left to bake in direct sunlight, you'll be fine. Throw a tarp over it when you're not playing, or set the stage up somewhere where it'll be in the shade. Either that, or play in the late afternoon/early evening when things start to cool off a little bit and the sun isn't directly overhead.

The bigger worry is with rain. Everytime I play an outdoor gig, it always seems like there's a 50/50 chance of getting wet. Luckily I haven't gotten drenched yet, but I'm always worried about it. Aside from having a bunch of electronic stuff on stage (amps, speakers, etc.) and not wanting to get electrocuted, I don't want my drums getting ruined. To give me some piece of mind, I keep a couple plastic painting drop cloths in my hardware case. You can buy these things for a couple bucks at a hardware store, and they roll up to about the size of a beer can. If you have to use em, you can just throw them out afterward. If/when it starts to sprinkle, you can quickly unfurl them and throw them over your stuff to keep it dry.

Anyway, don't worry so much.

Archived