What's a good medium-priced entry-level turntables/mixer set?

Farmer Ted

• Members

If your looking to become a dj, and you only want to spend 2 or 3 hundered dollars, then go by 2 or 3 hundred dollars in records, come over to my house and learn how to spin properly. Stanton will not please you if you get serious. Technics are the only way to go. Try pawn shops or dance clubs that are going out of business. There are plenty of them right now. Try alltimepartytime.com, Gemm.com, and DjCity.com for records.

• Members

Numark tt200s are 199.00 each, maybe cheaper. From the research ive done, they seem pretty rock solid and far better compared to other turntables in the same price range. I havent heard anything bad about them.

Vestax mixers are good balance between price and quality.

• Members

i agree with rockprata, technics is the one and only. even if it's 2nd hand, i wud go for it over any other brand.

Clubs/pubs the world over use technics.

Vestax is good i must agree, but unless u're doing turntablism or lots of scratching, it's too price is too steep.

Behringer may not make high quality product in terms of pro audio. but my VMX300 dj-mixer has been very trusty and it's dirt cheap! and the audio quality is far more superior than my previous Gemini Pro2 626. Moreover the Gemini's knobs start producing static noise after about 1.5years of home use. darn!

btw rockprata,

did you get your name from the Indian food 'prata'?

Jalan Kayu in Singapore serves the best prata. It simply ROCKS!

Singapore.

• Members

Honestly man, for under $500 your choices are pretty limited. There really isn't much quality out there. Stanton Magnetics makes some of the worst turntables on the face of the earth so you should likely avoid those pretty hardcore.

I'm also not too sure about the Numark tt series. Have you ever played on a Numark table??? They feel like toys. Just light, flimsy and plastic, like they're going to break apart in your hands.

Stick with 1200s......

• Members

the anything under the tt1 might be crap, but i myself own a tt1+ and the thing works great. ive even heard the tt2s being said to be as good as a technics in most reviews if not better. the tt1+ that i own is a really good turntable and i enjoy the crap out of it. the thing is built pretty solid too, and is quite heavy infact.

the only problem with the tt series ive heard of is people saying the buttons and extra stuff may fail, like the led(mines never failed and shows no sign of failing) and the buttons for the extra stuff are made of plastic, which doesn't really matter, i got my tt1+s for 299 each, and i honestly dont think that i need to buy a technics, and the torque on the thing is awesome.

but whatever you do dont buy a turntable that doesn't have the feature of high torque listed, that is an important feature for any dj whatsoever that if not included can make beggining a bitch

if its belt drive also do not buy it, belt drives lose pitch and that can destroy any mix

• Members

Originally posted by Farmer Ted

Which Technics set would you recommend, then?

Are you looking to get an all inclusive package type deal? If so, most people would suggest staying away from those. There are tons out there made by many manufacturers, but for the most part the gear that comes with them is garbage. Unless there is a package put together by a specific retailer that has Techs in it, you won't find them in one of those dj in a box things.

If you can swing a little bit more money, used Technics 1200's (MKII's or M3D's) is the best way to start. A ratty old pair off ebay would be better than buying many of the models that you could buy new for the same money. If not, I still suggest you buy used and get the best stuff you can possibly afford. My first set of turntables was a pair of Gemini PT-2000's that were beat to hell, but still worked great while I was starting to learn. I would also suggest staying away from Stanton turntables. Most Numarks I've used have been pretty shoddy, but I've heard good things about the TT1 & TT2.

What needles you choose will depend largely on what you want to do with your turntables. You'll get different suggestions based on whether you want to strictly mix, scratch, etc...

• Members

but i reccomend for the begginners the standard stantons, less you plan on doing gigs with your own turntables(not likely seeing as most places supply the tables and stuff) or hardcore scratching get the cheap stantons, their cheap but they get the job done

turntables:you're gonna need 2 turtables, which out of all the stuff you have should be the most reliable, so go with either flagship numarks or technics, the numarks will naturally be cheaper. and i have heard nothing bad about the tt1 and above honestly, i love my tt1+s to death they're great as {censored}. and im one of those guys that thinks numark is slowly creeping up on technics muahahahaahahahaaaaaaaa. the main thing about turntables that you need is high torque and direct drive. without high torque manually correcting mixing(essential to mixing in general) can be frustrating due to the platter stopping at times because if the torque isn't high its not strong enough to withstand the finger being placed on the platter with slight pressure(thats how i slow records down before adjusting pitch, once again part of mixing). direct drive is necessary because belt drive being driven by a belt and not electromagnets like direct drive tends to lose pitch. my one friend uses belts and using his turntables pisses me off, they drop pitch like nuts and since you're learning this would be an unneccessary obsticle to overcome.

as for mixers just make sure you get something that has an x fader that is a fader that goes

0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10

10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1-0

also look for headphone cue, thats a good thing if you wanna do demo tapes because i dont have it and let me warn you, its necessary lol...lots of retrying...oh and make sure it has 2 phono outputs

for speakers: just use something like computer speakers or dj monitors(the latter is better) they're great for practice and wont piss people off due to loudness, they're powered(you plug them in the wall and need no amp or reciever so you save money and get a good sound and dont have to worry bout ohms and such

headphones:make sure you have damn good headphones, as it is essential for learning. just because it cost 30$ at radio shack and is big doesn't make it dj material. look for dj headphones, there is a large difference, they're stereo headphones with good quality and usually run 70$ i got mine 40$

as for records i reccomend you get 2 of the same record. it is a great way to learn and aquire the dj ear that you need to aquire to mix. make sure the song you get 2 of is simple though otherwise you'll again have unneccessary obsticles.

remember mixing in my opinion is by far one of the most expensive hobbys/instruments. 10-20$ a record and me owning 40+ and last time i checked the prices i payed over 600$ on vinyll alone, 600$ for turntables and 50 for headphones

so all in all

2pro tt1+s and up(good turntable i say and they dont make it anymore and its gone waaaaaaaaaaay down in price):400

a cheap mixer 50

dj headphones 40

powered speakers 100

590$ for good equipment i say

hope that helps!

and i reccomend this site seeing as i bought from them about 3 times

www.audiolines.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

didn't want you to make the mistakes i made lol

i got my mixer free actually, i found it 1 day after my favorite cat died at 1:00am it really made that day a lot brighter, good mixer too

my actual first turntables however were a freaken joke lol

i went to the fleemarket, 1 didn't have a pitch slider and then i brought it back looking for a pitch slider equipped turntable. the other was a sanyo that had 3% pitch adjust only, which is technically all you need but none the less it was still a joke and had really low torque, not to mention it was in no way a dj turntable.

all in all though the two cost $80 lol

• Members

didn't want you to make the mistakes i made lol

i got my mixer free actually, i found it 1 day after my favorite cat died, at 1:00am it really made that day a lot brighter, good mixer too

my actual first turntables however were a freaken joke lol

i went to the fleemarket, 1 didn't have a pitch slider and then i brought it back looking for a pitch slider equipped turntable. the other was a sanyo that had 3% pitch adjust only, which is technically all you need but none the less it was still a joke and had really low torque, not to mention it was in no way a dj turntable.

all in all though the two cost $80 lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived