Are DJ's real musicians?

Kvlt

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Who cares?

Are guitar players huge ego whores who are usually average at best?

Are drummers bitter little buggers hidden at the back?

What about DJ producers? We can write the music, play it, record it, arrange it, mix it and then play it out in one of our DJ sets, or play it live on our live rigs. In most cases, all by ourselves.

What about that, huh?

:D

Damn stupid Troll.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

You guys are funny! :)

A musician is one who plays a musical instrument; presumably with some degree of proficiency if he/she dares to state publicly "I am a musician."

If a DJ were a musician, that would pretty much mean anyone who played a recording or turned on the radio would be too... no, a DJ is not a musician.

A good DJ might be considered an artist, or a producer, or even a composer. None of these designations are in any way indicative of lesser talent than a "musician", they are simply different things.

A lame DJ might just be considered a Disc Jockey... just another job or hobby. :)

I am presuming all DJ's here are GOOD DJ's! :D

Happy New Year all!

• Members

I think people shouldn't rise to the bait.

;)

Every once in a while, a carrot crunching farmer boy who's in a blues bar band will appear in here and start making trouble. I say 'carrot crunching', because they're usually a bit 'rural' by nature and for some reason have a hatred of most things electronic as they are not really familiar with it. Hence, most cannot distuinguish between a DJ, a producer or an electronic artist. When you are all 3 of these things (Or more), it confuses/frightens them even more.

Usually, these guys are guitarists, and as you might well know, every guitarist (No matter how {censored} they are) thinks that they're the second greatest guitarist, ever. I say second because they usually have some strange and childish obsession/fixation with some other famouser, richer and more gifted guitarist (Hendrix, Clapton, etc). They often never, ever grow out of thinking they're the second best guitarist in the world.

DJ's are certainly very valid entertainers and shouldn't be put down because they don't have big hair and are not spanking a plank.

Making less of someone's art because you don't really understand it is downright {censored}ty, narrowminded and just demonstrates that you're probably a simpleton living out in the sticks and haven't really participated in or been able to experience many different things due to your narrowminded view of the world.

It's funny how many of the toothless good 'ole boys who come in here and bash DJs are the ones who were spouting the inane redneck bull{censored} in the Open Jam forum.

Shut the {censored} up, go and enjoy your geetaws, cheap beer and chewing tobacco and leave the DJs alone until you can understand what they do, why it's difficult, why it's an artform and why people enjoy their work so much.

;)

• Members

Originally posted by Spank!

I think people shouldn't rise to the bait.

;)

Every once in a while, a carrot crunching farmer boy who's in a blues bar band will appear in here and start making trouble. I say 'carrot crunching', because they're usually a bit 'rural' by nature and for some reason have a hatred of most things electronic as they are not really familiar with it. Hence, most cannot distuinguish between a DJ, a producer or an electronic artist. When you are all 3 of these things (Or more), it confuses/frightens them even more.

Usually, these guys are guitarists, and as you might well know, every guitarist (No matter how {censored} they are) thinks that they're the second greatest guitarist, ever. I say second because they usually have some strange and childish obsession/fixation with some other famouser, richer and more gifted guitarist (Hendrix, Clapton, etc). They often never, ever grow out of thinking they're the second best guitarist in the world.

DJ's are certainly very valid entertainers and shouldn't be put down because they don't have big hair and are not spanking a plank.

Making less of someone's art because you don't really understand it is downright {censored}ty, narrowminded and just demonstrates that you're probably a simpleton living out in the sticks and haven't really participated in or been able to experience many different things due to your narrowminded view of the world.

It's funny how many of the toothless good 'ole boys who come in here and bash DJs are the ones who were spouting the inane redneck bull{censored} in the Open Jam forum.

Shut the {censored} up, go and enjoy your geetaws, cheap beer and chewing tobacco and leave the DJs alone until you can understand what they do, why it's difficult, why it's an artform and why people enjoy their work so much.

;)

you shut the {censored} up BITCH! I LIVE DOWN SOUTH AND HAVE APPRECIATION FOR DJS, i also play guitar, well! but, i don't think i am the 2nd, 3rd, 4th ,or even 100th best and i don't admire some guy from the 60s!

• Members

Who mentioned 'down south'??? Rednecks are everywhere. Drive 20 miles out of LA and you can find rednecks, if you really desire to. I've also spent a good deal of time in the South and managed to avoid seeing anybody fitting that demographic.

Redneck isn't a place, it's a state of mind.

I'm glad you can appreciate DJs and play a guitar. Awesome. Don't take offense at my crude generalisations - I'm just using them to illustrate a point and spank the simpletons that turn up here every once in a while for no reason other than to cause trouble and inflate their own pitiful ego.

I'm wondering if there's a posse being rounded up in the Open Jam forum yet?

• Members

Who mentioned 'down south'??? Rednecks are everywhere. Drive 20 miles out of LA and you can find rednecks, if you really desire to. I've also spent a good deal of time in the South and managed to avoid seeing anybody fitting that demographic.

Redneck isn't a place, it's a state of mind.

I'm glad you can appreciate DJs and play a guitar. Awesome. Don't take offense at my crude generalisations - I'm just using them to illustrate a point and spank the simpletons that turn up here every once in a while for no reason other than to cause trouble and inflate their own pitiful ego.

that's cool that you jus want to prove a point

• Members

Some have to realize that the turntable is considered a valid musical instrument. Many musicians, especially guitarists, have a problem of "going with the flow". Personally, I think some of them feel threatened of getting replaced!

I've done little mixin'n'scratchin'...and from the experience of listening to the "mixmaster DJs", they are musicians.

• Members

LMFAO... They're going to ride into town on thier stacks of Marshall cabs, the only advance warning of their arrival being the sound of squeaking caster wheels in the far away distance. DJs will be unceremoniously torn from behind the decks in their bedrooms and clubs and dragged into the town square, the final sounds coming over their monitors in the form of a sickening vinyl/needle scratch that echoes across the land.

An enormous stage will be erected where speed metal and glam rock throwback bands will play before a teeming mass of rednecks with mullets, cut off Whitesnake t-shirts, and fingers calloused from endless hours of playing the same 3 chords. The music will stop at a carefully chosen hour, and we will be lined up under a massive lighting truss. Each one with a 1/4" patch cord around his neck with nothing but our milk crates full of records under our feet to support us in our once peaceful and apparently unenlightened lives.

The crates will be kicked from under our feet, and a great roar will arise from the crowd, intoxicated with bloodlust and Miller Highlife. Records will spill to the ground, be trampled, warped and scratched under thousands of mercilous feet. A great fire will be lit, and copies of Darude's "Sandstorm" will burn next to rare James Brown LP's.

But the madness that drowned out the sounds of the last breaths taken by those on stage will end as quickly as the lives of those who just wanted to play some music, and make a few people dance. It must end, for there will always be something else to hate, another group to persecute for the nonsense they choose to value, another place to rid of the ignorance that brings the rest of the legitimate music world down. So back onto their PA cabinets they climb, riding off into a sunset reddened by the smoke of burning plastic and massive pyrotechnics displays.

• Members

Dude, there are all kinds of talent in this world. While scratching a record might be a talent and even a modern art form, that does NOT a musician make. You can think it as much as you want, but you are NOT a musician. Why not just call yourself a musical artist and be happy at that?

You guys are too funny; a turntable is considered an instrument... that is a {censored}ing riot. I suppose my car horn is an instrument too... if I {censored} around with it long enough, I can probably come up with something really cool no one has done with it, and start a new trend and call myself a car horn musician. I will play the car horn, and do cool things with it, and I will be a musician.... yeah, that's what I'll do!

I suppose the guys with their Fast and Furious Hondas with 20000 watt soundsysems at car shows are also musicians! :)

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I think a dj might be considered a musician if he is scratching in a band. It's kind of like a purcussion instrument. These djs don't really play records in full, they use small bits if them to scratch with. If you think it's easy, you'd be wrong. I have played guitar for 15 years and drums for 25 years, and I feel like a complete moron when trying to scratch. These guys have talent. An example might be Limp Bizkit or Incubus. The dj is a member of the band. A club dj is a differnet story (unless he is scratching). A club dj mixes music, which is a talent in itself. Everyone who buys 2 cd players and a mixer calls themselves a dj (we call them button pressers), but real club dj's beat mix by BPM's. I like old fashioned Vinyl myself, but you can beatmix with cd's as well.

I'm a musician and a dj. Being a musician has certainly made me a better dj. Beat mixing comes 2nd nature to me, as well as knowing musical cycles in music. Beat mixing is most effective when songs flawlessly mix from one to another during the right moment. You can't mix out in the middle of a 32 beat section of music. The flow needs to be natural.

Just an opinion...I've been wrong before, he he he!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I agree with you there, being a musician helps in alot of different areas.

I don't think I would consider a DJ a musician. However, I would consider DJ's to be very skilled composers. Producers, yes, musicians. Electronic Artists, yes, musicians.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by Bro' FF

You guys are too funny; a turntable is considered an instrument... that is a {censored}ing riot. I suppose my car horn is an instrument too...

This turntable is a legitimate instrument:

http://www.pssl.com/bitemdetail.tpl?eqint_keyiddata=43536&source=FROO

P0055508B.jpg

The whole problem is with the term "DJ". Most people who call themselves that are not musicians. That's why more advanced DJs and turntablists get lumped in with the crowd. You can't expect most guitar players to grasp the difference. Guitarists are usually much too busy trying to sound like something they heard on a CD.

:wave:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

This is really been overly-complicated.

If you are a DJ and all you do is mix/blend music, you are not a musician. You aren't CREATING music. You are just mixing it.

However, in the case of turntablists (scratch DJ's), they are bonafide musicians.

I've been at it for almost 10 years now and I can tell you that scratching is a hell of a lot harder than it looks. It's percussion. You need impeccable timing, a great sense of rhythm, loads of creativity and the ability to innovate. Not only that but since you are manipulating pre-recorded material, turntablists have the ability to pull off a more dynamic performance than "traditional" musicians because they can hand-craft the entire vibe of their set by selecting the right records.

People who slam DJ's are either behind the times or just closed-minded, musically. They will be into rock 'n roll until the day they die and would probably spit Skoal on a drum machine. That's fine.

Personally, I think it's great that one person with a laptop, a mixer, a midi controller and a turntable (me) can make an entire composition... on the fly, even.

Get with the times, you backwards Skynrd {censored}s.

• 7 months later...

Archived