The first gig you ever played - what was it like?

brassic

• Members

Just before Christmas I started jamming with a few other girls, nothing too serious, just hanging round at home and bashing out a few songs. Fast forward to the present, we've got nine songs, four or five of which are pretty much spot on and now the other girls are talking about gigging properly. Cue small-scale heart failure on my end. When we started I never thought we'd actually be doing this in public. :eek: I've only ever played in a small setting amongst friends, not in a situation where people will be paying actual cash money for entertainment in return. Another one of the girls is a total gigging newbie like me, while the other three are more experienced (our keyboard player is in two other bands and was in a reasonably famous indie band a few years back). But I'm going to give it a whirl. We're talking about doing our first one in May.

Anyway, I'd like to hear some first-gig experiences. Where was it? In a bar or club, or at a party? Did you invite a load of your friends, or did you sneak off to some far-flung outpost where no one would recognise you in case it all went horribly wrong? Did it all go horribly wrong, or were you so astonishing that you spent the rest of the evening drinking your rider off the thighs of virgin groupies? How long had the band been together? How experienced a player were you at the time? And how old were you? (I'm 31. Late starter or what?)

(edited for typo)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My first gig was when I was 16 (4 years ago). We were actually opening up for the Liars just before they became popular. It was in a gym at a university in my town. My band was a horrible punk band at the time, and half of our set (which was 4 songs) was covers. We had the worst gear you could possibly gig with. The turnout wasn't all that great (around 30 people I'm guessing). A good portion of the crowd was my friends, so that helped to calm my nerves a bit. Fast forward to 150 gigs later, and I'm in a band that's completely opposite. We're getting headlining gigs. We're about to record our first full length. We have a couple tours lined up as soon as summer starts, so there's all sorts of opportunities ahead. It sure was one hell of a journey to get to where I am now.

• Members

I put on the gig myself. Paid to for everything from security to promotion. Got a radio band out, and all and all had a 4 band bill. However my singer got too drunk, and since he wasn't the greatest singer anyways, we sounded like {censored}. On the brightside we made $250 for our band. But we learned that we simply didn't have the right singer. Got a new guy now, Million times more talented and creative. I'll report back when we gig with him. You really learn alot about how well your band is rehearsed, and who is really about the music, and whose about being a f**kin rock star.

• Members

Nothing any of us can say will effect how you will feel as the gig approaches.

You will have butterflies, you will pace the floor a day or two before the gig. As you're driving to the gig, you'll wonder to yourself if it wouldn't just be smarter to take the next right instead of left and just leave town now.

Your palms will sweat and, in extreme cases, you may get the dry heaves in a public toilet for a couple of minutes before you go on.

Know these things, learn to recognise when stagefright is creeping up on you and just go do it.

When you start gigging, time changes completely while you're on stage. Time moves very slowly and, while you're terrified you'll miss the next change, it'll feel like you have hours to make the change.

When the gig is done, you'll have a huge adrenelin rush; it's a total high. You'll float off the stage, you'll want to talk over every second of the gig with your bandmates. You'll want to chat up folks at the bar. You'll laugh too loud, dance too much, have the best time of your life and want to get right back up on stage as soon as possible.

My only advice in preparation: When you practice, don't just rehearse the material. Learn to listen to your bandmates. Make eye contact and learn to pick up on their eye signals. Having that bond, that psychic communication, will help you all out of problems that will inevitably arise when performing.

• Members

Thanks for the advice. I've spent my entire professional career on "the other side" as a journalist, promoter, pr person - you name the music biz job, and I'll have done it - and after years of swearing blind I'd never get on a stage (I've never even done karaoke), I'm actually looking forward to it. But I'll certainly be dry-heaving for at least two days beforehand. :rolleyes::o

• Members

i have many first-ever gigs with several different bands. the one thing in common they all had was that we sucked! but, after a few shows, most of the groups pulled together. at one of the first-evers, we were asked to leave from swearing on stage too much. one had a turnout of 4 - my dad, my uncle, my sister, and the bass player's girlfriend. another was at a classmates bachelor party. they got drunk and stiffed me on gas money (drove 500 miles to get there)!

• Members

My first gig was an outdoor party on Memorial Day in 1976 when I was 19 years old. I had a Rhodes stage piano and a Traynor bass guitar amp that would shock me every time I touched it. I remember we played among other tunes Stairway to Heaven and Freebird which my current band also plays. There were many cases of beer, and a lot of people dancing. My tall blonde girlfriend was sitting in a chair next to me all evening giving dirty looks to any girl that came within ten feet of me. I didn't really have any jitters because I'd been jamming with several garage bands for years and had played piano for my high school stage band.

KeysBear :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I was 15, and worked as the "sanitation engineer" at a nice restaurant that had live music on the weekends...usually solos and duos.

One evening, the act booked called about 45 minutes before "show time" to cancel...the owners were in a panic, and called everyone they could think of, but everyone was booked...as I was clocking out to go home, my D-18 in hand (I'd stuck it in the mop closet because I was teaching the owner's daughter how to play), the owner called me into his office and asked me to play him a song, which I started to do...about halfway through the 1st chorus of "Time In A Bottle", he stopped me and asked me if I knew enough songs to play 3 45-minute sets, and when I assured him I did, he said, "OK, you're tonight's entertainment" and he sent his wife out to get me a nicer shirt.

Went over well enough that I had a regular gig every Friday night for the next 2 years...and I went from making $75 a week (as janitor) to $125 a week ($50 extra for Friday nights + tips)...still, decent bucks for a 15 y.o. in the early 70s :)

Been pretty doing it ever since...unfortunately, some gigs STILL pay $50 a night + tips! :p

• Members

Originally posted by KeysBear

Arrrrgggghhh!!!! How true that is.

KeysBear
:cool:

Fortunately, now I have a few CDs released, so selling those can make for a much more profitable gig.

But, still a lot of the problem is folks who'll play for free, just to get "exposure"...and venues who'll let these idiots do so! :mad:

• Members

Originally posted by Terry Allan Hall

But, still a lot of the problem is folks who'll play for free, just to get "exposure"...and venues who'll let these idiots do so!
:mad:

There's a lot of this in London, and if you're a "name" promoter that has a reputation for getting lots of A&R and media down to his/her gigs, then there's not much you can do to stop it. It's filthy, but it's paid off for more than a few people (bands) I know. Still, the promoter is making thousands on the night, while the bands are lucky if they get some pissy lager and enough money to cover the van hire for their trouble.

• Members

Originally posted by Locky

Whats wrong with playing for free?? I'll play pretty much any gig I can get paid or not. I'm not relying on music to pay my bills. Thats why i'm in 3rd year system engineering.

For precisely the same reason that you'd probably not appreciate someone willing to do your engineering work for free...it devalues your craft.

And if enough "wannabe" engineers are willing to do so, you're screwed.

Or, do you feel your music has no value?

• Members

Thats the nature of music. Anyone can do it. There are not requirements. I offer to play for free when I really just want to play. If I'm taking a gig away from another band who wants to be paid. Well screw em. I don't need the money i'm playing for fun. With engineering you have to be the very good at what you do, and create a demand for your skills. Same as in music, if you are good, clubs will pay you to play. If not then just keep at it and create a demand for yourself.

• Members

Thats the nature of music. Anyone can do it. There are not requirements. I offer to play for free when I really just want to play. If I'm taking a gig away from another band who wants to be paid. Well screw em. I don't need the money i'm playing for fun. With engineering you have to be the very good at what you do, and create a demand for your skills. Same as in music, if you are good, clubs will pay you to play. If not then just keep at it and create a demand for yourself.

I really hope you live a long way away from me. You just don't get it. I have my own financial services business and that pays the bills. I love to play, but I won't haul the gear and set it up for free. The free audition I did a couple of weeks back bugged me and I don't think I'll do something like that again.

I used to work as a music minister. After a shakeup at the church where I was employed the local association sent me to a big church across town sitting on a two million dollar piece of land in an affluent neighborhood. I told the pastor my salary requirements which were modest and really no more than paying my gas and dry cleaning bills. He said "music is free" I can get my daughter to lead the singing. I got up and left him in mid-sentence with him chasing me out to my car telling me I was a greedy scum. When I sing, play piano, or play sax it is truly something special that you are not going to get from some kid. I've practiced for what must be thousands of hours, bought quality equipment, and treated my music as a life long love affair that has made my life beautiful and worthwhile in every way. My performances have value. My time has value.

If you really feel that "anyone can do" what you do musically I wouldn't walk across the street to see you perform.

There are plenty of musicians who feed their families from their gig money. You are part of the problem for the rest of us.

• Members

Problem #1. I'm sorry but if you are seriously relying of music to feed your family then you aren't a very responsible person. The music industry has its risks like any other. Deal with it

Problem #2 I meant anyone should be able to perform music, whether they are terrible, or the next coming of Mozart. If they want to do the show free or ask for money its up to them

I am part of a problem because I am willing to play some shows for free??? I fail to see the problem with that. Sure its a bitch to haul around all the equipment. But playing a few shows here and there for free really isn't a big deal. I play music as a hobby, if I can get a paid gig great, if not i'll still play the show.

• Members

I know you didn't say you do. But you did mention that it happens, which I pointed out is a ridiculous point.

Thats really sad though. I thought most people on here cared a little more about music and a little less about making money.

• Members

Well... the first gig I ever played keyboards at with the band I've sorta been playing with for the past 4 years, we put on for our friends at someone's barn and we played for like 2 hours or some such, playing a couple originals but mostly just all covers.. and covers for the most part which I couldn't play on.. (and I only had a piece o' {censored} casio keyboard to play on at the time too)..

Fast forward 4 years later, and maybe about 10 gigs later.. and on our third name change.. I've got a significant keyboard set-up now, and we've finally gotten a satisfactory recording that should mean we're going to be playing more shows soon..

• Members

I know you didn't say you do. But you did mention that it happens, which I pointed out is a ridiculous point.

Thats really sad though. I thought most people on here cared a little more about music and a little less about making money.

How dare you be so condescending toward me! There is nothing sad about me or my attitude. One day I hope you outgrow your kingly opinion of yourself.

I believe you just don't understand the level of the show we put on. It's way out of your "free" league. You can blather on here but I'm not wasting more time on you.

• Members

Like bringing in your own lighting, fog machine, mixer, soundguy as well as all the band equipment. Yes I do that when I put on a show. Big deal. Obviously the extent depends on the venue. Funnily enough I just booked another gig for free and club for a buddy's birthday party.

You see the exposure is far more valuable then the money gigs usually dish out aways. Because exposure gets you that little extra when you do play paid gigs. It also creates that demand for you talents.

But best of luck to yah

• Members

I don't think people should have to pay to play, which is essentially what many bands are doing when they play for free.

It's the same thing when I DJ. Yeah, I'm doing it for fun, but I'm bringing people down to the club, the promoter makes a few grand from the door cover and the bar, yet I wind up £30 out of pocket because I have to take a taxi to and from the venue? (I live in a city where it doesn't make sense to own a car, and try lugging 200 records on a night bus full of drunkards and see how you like it).

I really enjoyed DJing in clubs, but I just simply can't afford to do it anymore. Greed has nothing to do with it. Playing music shouldn't be the preserve of the cash-rich. It's not a country club.

• Members

My first gig was a benefit concert - at a local college, four other bands on the bill. The band had been playing together for a couple months, we did a full hour set of originals. I wasn't terribly nervous, because we had rehearsed well. I invited family and a few friends and it went very well... and for me, 45 minutes on-stage usually goes by in about 5 or 10 minutes... zip, it's gone.

As far as playing for free, I, too am an engineer, and music is my hobby. I will play benefit concerts, but will NOT play for free. I value the product I deliver too much to give it away. It's not about greed, it's about self-respect and value... sure, 'anybody' can learn three chords and bang away, but it takes more than that to deliver entertainment to people - which is what we try to do - and we value what we do too much to just give it away.

• Members
I value the product I deliver too much to give it away. It's not about greed, it's about self-respect and value... sure, 'anybody' can learn three chords and bang away, but it takes more than that to deliver entertainment to people - which is what we try to do - and we value what we do too much to just give it away.

:D :D

Archived