new member from HB Drums

hbdrums

• Members

I bought my son a 7 piece HB Predator set a couple years ago. He's used them all the time and they have held up well. I haven't had any issues with the drums or hardware, pedals, etc. My son plays everyday on this set at home. He is 16 now.

Are they the best drums on the market? Of course not. But for the price I paid ($450ish) they are better than the other name brand drums I looked at. The local music shop sells a big name brand (L brand) for slightly more that is crap.

As far as the shells, they are birch. I inspected the inside of the shells. Smooth. The workmanship was good on the set. We still have the original heads on the set. The sound is decent. The hardware is good enough. Again not the best but sturdy.

The cymbals in the kit are terrible as would be expected for a set priced in this range. Quality cymbals alone cost many hundreds of dollars so I had low expectations for the cymbals. No problem. I've since bought him some sweet Zildian hi-hats on eBay. I've drilled the HB crash and ride and put a few rivets on for the time being to get some decent sound out until the decision is made to upgrade.

As far as service let me tell you about my experience. The drums arrived well packed. Nothing loose or banging around. However the ride cymbal was dented. I called Surf City and the guy (I forget his name this was two years ago) shipped me a replacement at no charge. I didn't have to return the damaged cymbal. I'd call that good service. Response was on time.

I hate to see a business get trashed if it's not warranted. Maybe some of you guys had a bad experience. It happens with any product. The guy at Surf City made it right for me. I've bought cars for $25K that had problems. The big thing is did the guy make it right? In my case he did.

So while many of you are kicking this guy I'm putting in a good word for him.

In similar situation with similar $$ to spend I would certainly buy these drums again.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

One more thing. There was a post about shipping North American wood to China for production.

It happens all the time. They ship iron ore and scrap iron to China too and that weighs a heckuva lot more than wood. All the scrap is going to China. I sold an old car to a guy for $500. He's taking it to the scrapyard to crush. Guess where it's going after that?

China.

China has a huge steel industry.

They import loads of raw materials from North America, wood included.

• 11 years later...

Archived