new member from HB Drums

hbdrums

• Members

Remember you are not comparing these drums to Drum Workshop or GMS be as fair as you can be. I don't want to mislead you into thinking that I regard these drums as the best money can buy. BANG FOR THE BUCK BROS!

Of course. I'm not silly enough to compare a $400 kit to a $4000 kit. But I will compare it to upper-entry level and lower-mid level kits. My buddy has a brand new Export kit about 5 feet from where my present buckets sit. That'll be a good starting point for comparison purposes, I should think. :thu:

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh yeah Crash, I was using your mom's panties to dampen the resonant head overtones, but they were staining the inside of the shell and I don't even want to go into the problem I had with seagulls! Sooo, I opted for the towel...chump.

Thanks for the info, poser. I knew you were bull{censored}ting from the first badly written post where you did a terrible job of trying to sell me on something I already bought. 30+ years drumming and you're playing bottom end gear and putting linens in your drums? And you clown my mom? I sincerely hope you're not associated with the company I just dropped my cash with, because I'm already starting to regret my decision.

And I doubt you'd say that in person, sweetheart. :love:

• Members

Hey guys,

You all really need to get outside and smell some fresh air:)...Thanks for the welcome. I probably won't be posting very often due to a busy schedule...I'll try to check in weekly and answer any questions you may have. I didn't see much in the way of questions other than where we get our wood for shells - N America - mostly northwest US and Canadian birch.

Just a few words from a guy that's been in this business a long time,...drums have changed just like everything else in America with imports from China at an all time high. We could make our drums here in HB and price them about 4-5 times higher. We choose to cater to musicians that do not have big budgets. You will find most of the brands coming from overseas now yet some will still carry fairly high price tags due to the supply chain, advertising, etc. I am amazed at how folks that have been in drums for some years have forgotten that a basic 5 piece Rogers or Slingerland made in the US sold for $1500 back in the late 70's. Some of the same folks are looking to put our sets under a microscope and compare with sets that are selling for many times more....the point is if you are on a beer budget, you're not going to be drinking Dom Perignon. Some of the DW and top line US boutique brands are incredible quality and we don't pretend to compete with these. On the other hand, go out and look at any plywood no name kit or even the entry level brand names and then compare if you get birch shells at our prices.

We are simply not into $5000-$10,000 high end kit sales as my business has always dealt with the enthusiast or gigging musicians on budgets. To date we have sold over 10,000 HB sets and feel we offer a very good value for the buck. Thanks for the nice compliments James,...how much do I owe you?:)Thanks again guys and I'll drop in later.

PS Thanks for your order Crash - apparently we are sending you a Duke- right on!

Dave

• Members

:freak:I'll end it there. Didn't mean no harm or disrespect:D Will post pics of my kit refinished tomorrow. Peace to all.

All good. Was just goofin' with ya til it got personal. You sounded like a corporate shill for a minute, so I was throwing some light jabs. I actually use a rolled towel on my reso head as well, and my backup hats are some of the crustiest B8's on the planet. No harm, no foul.

Right on, Dave. I'm definitely looking forward to receiving my Duke.

*looking at the pic again, looks like your kitten was chillin' in the bass drum on the towel. that'd make an even better picture, lol.

• Members

hbdrums, I'm a little confused. You said you use North American and Canadian birch for the shells but the drums are made in China. Now, do you buy the wood here and ship it to China, or does China buy the wood here and have it shipped to them. I'm not trying to be difficult, I just don't know enough about the drum production industry to understand how that works. I do know that in China, Northern China, I believe Mongolia has tremendous forests of birch. I could be wrong but I thought I read that somewhere. Thanks in advance.

• Members

Helluva coincidence, ain't it? A new member with the moniker "HBdrummer" just happens to sign up soon after we get an infomercial from other new member "hbdrums," whose only posts here have been to sell HB drums. And, coincidence again I'm sure, HBdrummer's first posts are a sales pitch for HB drums.

Remarkable.

Not.

They think we're stupid, lads. Wise up.

• Members

I think I'll just wait until Crash gets his drums and make an educated question to him. Far too often have we seen someone showing up promoting a product, and then another new user talking about how great they are. Basically sales stuff right there.

This seems more legit, though, and probably just odd timing. We'll find out -- does HBDrummer use the forum, or only use it to pump up HB Drums? That'll end that matter...

Quite curious to see how this goes!

• Members

I think I'll just wait until Crash gets his drums and make an educated question to him. Far too often have we seen someone showing up promoting a product, and then another new user talking about how great they are. Basically sales stuff right there.

This seems more legit, though, and probably just odd timing. We'll find out -- does HBDrummer use the forum, or only use it to pump up HB Drums? That'll end that matter...

Quite curious to see how this goes!

HBDrummer has 10 posts, most of which are in this thread.

I think that speaks for itself...

• Members

:blah:No Problemo Dave..and this one's on me! I am truly a believer in your products! Thanks for offering us working Joe's a real quality birch drum set at doable prices-kudos Mr. Moody.
:thu:
I recentely viewed a website on "how to" refinish drum shells. I had a week off from my gigging schedule so I decided ..what the hay? As soon as the clear coat sets up on one of the toms, I'll be posting before and after pics. Crash..You made a good choice in your purchase of an HB drum kit. I know how sceptical I was before I took the chance and ordered my Duke snare over a year ago:eek:

I have to say that My Dukes sound better to me than my former Pearl SRX kit that I recentely parted ways with. I don't think I have to say, make the small up's with heads and snares and stuff and tune-tune-tune! I bet your buddy starts to wonder why he dropped 8 bills on his EX's! No dis to Pearl drums, I love that company. I just couldn't justify dropping 1800.00 schmolies on a BRX shelly when the sound I was looking for could be had for less than 1/3 the price! I am on my way to ordering my second HB kit soon. A Predator elite in ebony mist-to use as a rehearsal kit. I do way too much set up and tear down. Any way folks, Isn't drums why we're on this forum?? just play what you love and love what you play:thu:

HB Drummer can you tell me how the Predator elite is when you get it please?

• Members

No prob dude. I gotta be really careful as it is... you see...alot of the other guys that had posted on this thread think....well dude they think..they think I work for Huntington Beach (HB) drums and that in some perverse way...dude i was labeled a corporate shill!! lol! well, the flaming truth of the matter can be read in my previous posts. but..yeah,,I will give you the skinny
:deadhorse:

Thanks and be sure to post some pics! When are you getting the set?

• Members

Ok, a little more info on HB Drums. After some research, I found that they are made in Taiwan or China by D.B. Musical Instrument Co., LTD. Their website is www.db-musical.com. If you look on that site you will see the set that HB calls GoldRush on their website. If you compare the kits, you will notice that the DB logos are missing from the drums on the HB site. Also missing are the vents. They've been airbrushed out. Also, if you look at the kick, the HB logo is not done very well, probably hand drawn.

I'm not sure what this means. I realize HB wants to brand their own drums, but this makes me uncomfortable. There is also no mention of wood type on the D.B. site. This is not meant to be a slam on HB or a estimate of their quality. This is simply what I found when I did my research.

• Members

Good work Mr. Cutter! Here's one of their pics. A lot better than what's on the HB site. Notice the translation, it's a riot :lol:

"Lacquer finish drum sets are through handicraft at manufacturing process ... Ensure you could enjoy the performance of which you are playing with"

Chinese to English never seems to come out right :lol:

db_china.jpg

Anyway, they seem to be cheaply made. But that's just my humble opinion. I'd be very interested in hearing the reviews of the couple of drummers here who have purchased kits from HB.

• Members

Did some recording with them. They sound fabulous

Hey there HB, was wondering if there was any chance we could get a sample of your recordings? I'm curious as to how these tubs really sound...

What kind of heads are you using on them, and how are they tuned?

Thanx ~ Ski

• Members

Hey there HB, was wondering if there was any chance we could get a sample of your recordings? I'm curious as to how these tubs really sound...

What kind of heads are you using on them, and how are they tuned?

Thanx ~ Ski

Yeah man, I'll be getting in touch with the recording tech at the studio and bump up a sample for ya! I am using an Evans EMAD for the kick, Evans ST snare batter/ Evans Hazy 300 snare side (TAMA Starclassic 20 std wires) Evans G1 coateds on the 8", 10" 12" and 16" floor. I kept the stocker HB reso heads on the toms. As far as tuning, I"ve been messing with a new toy the drumdial...still kinda experimenting with that. I have been tuning up the reso heads like a half step higher than the batter side. With the G1 single plys I get gobs of attack and due to the tonal timbre of the somewhat thin (6.5mm 6ply) birch shells some punchy lows. The kick drum is amazing! thanks in part to the EMAD! For the money I spent, I couldn't be happier. More later.. I'll post some pics tonight. Peace:thu:

Archived