new member from HB Drums

hbdrums

• Members

Greetings,

Thought I would introduce myself and offer any input to members regarding the drum industry. I've been in the musical instrument biz since 1976 having operated a retail music company in socal for over 20 years and most recently the founder of HB drums - 1999. I am the designer of our products and use birch shells throughout the line. We have been favorably compared to Mapex and other more mainstream brands with MMR reviewing our HB predator drums as one of the best value drum sets in 2005. Our most successful niche has been in the larger double bass drum kits as we offer a lot for the price by shipping direct to consumer. Our most recent entry has been the retrophonic cocktail drums which are pretty cool and patterned after the old Slingerland cocktail drums...birch shells with two snares and custom bag set. We have several artists using HB and also welcome any drummers to apply for endorsement that are in a touring signed band. We offer a pretty complete line of percussion products, parts and accessories and ship directly from our facilities in Huntington Beach, Ca to the US & Canada. I'll be happy to address any questions that you have or you can post on our site for a faster response, thanks.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have seen you selling kits on ebay a year or two back. I went to your websight from there. I seriously thought about getting one of the huge 12 piece kits I saw on your websight. I didn't go through with it though. I had never heard of your brand before and didn't know what to expect for quality. A 12 piece kit for less than 1500.00 seemed to good to be true. I chickened out. I really did like the red wine finish though.

• Members

Welcome to the forum from one of the Geezer Guild. Checked out your site; kits look nice. I've been away from the drums for about 50 years and I'm looking to get into it again. I'm in Central CA and I might stop in your shop when I get down that way. I'm looking to pick up kit to get me started again. Best of luck.

• Members

I just ordered a 5-piece Duke shellpack yesterday. With the labor day discount the price was killer, and I figured "what the hell". This was a total blind order based on specs vs. price, and I need a new kit badly. We'll see how these things work. When they get here, I'll take mad pics and review these things. I can't seem to find anything about them online outside their own literature and corporate family. If they rule, I'll definitely let everyone know in detail. The same goes for if they suck and are a ripoff.

Hit you guys back in a week when the kit gets here and I drop some real heads on it.

• Members

I just ordered a 5-piece Duke shellpack yesterday. With the labor day discount the price was killer, and I figured "what the hell". This was a total blind order based on specs vs. price, and I need a new kit badly. We'll see how these things work. When they get here, I'll take mad pics and review these things. I can't seem to find anything about them online outside their own literature and corporate family. If they rule, I'll definitely let everyone know in detail. The same goes for if they suck and are a ripoff.

Hit you guys back in a week when the kit gets here and I drop some real heads on it.

I cant wait, i was about to get these but wasn't so sure.

• Members

I look forward to you review CrashStitches. I have been curious about these for a long time. I even signed up for their HB newsletter quite a while back hoping to hear more about their line. I was kind of hoping that hbdrums would be back to tell us what kind of drum lines he was trying to compete with. I hope he didn't read all the monno tonno stuff and decide he didn't want to come back anymore.

• Members

I have seen you selling kits on ebay a year or two back. I went to your websight from there. I seriously thought about getting one of the huge 12 piece kits I saw on your websight. I didn't go through with it though. I had never heard of your brand before and didn't know what to expect for quality. A 12 piece kit for less than 1500.00 seemed to good to be true. I chickened out. I really did like the red wine finish though.

Same here. Ended up going Pearl instead.

• Members

guy sed he's using birch shells.

the hardware looks to me to be the cheapest possible anywhere.

best of luck with 'em!

I wasn't about to buy unknown hardware. I ordered a shell pack. Don't worry, the results will be known publicly. I know there are others like me looking for information on other options for gear, and there are some companies out there making decent gear for killer prices. I've ordered a handful of lesser-known brand gear (Legion Sound PA, Seismic Audio bass cab, SteelSound bass cabs and guitar cab, etc), and I always try to review it somehow, somewhere.

Ya heard, Dave? LOL. :wave:;)

The Duke kit's specs look impressive, and I ordered it in Pacific Coast White. The pics on the site are horrible quality (mostly bad photoshops of the same kit in different colors), so I'm not sure if it's a wrap, a clear finish, or what. Like I said, this is a gamble for me. The toms are suspension mounted with pin mounts, but I don't know if a tom arm is included in the shellpack. Guess we'll find out.

• Members

:thu:Hey crash, I am here to tell you that hb is the real deal! I have been playing for over 30 years and have not come across a better dollar value in ANY drum set! I was a real sceptic at first. I thought, How can they be selling an all birch shelled drumkit for a plywood shell price? There HAD to be a catch! Well, about a year ago, I took the plunge and ordered a Duke snare drum. Believe me, I really didn't know what to expect. I finally got the drum delivered and to my amazement and after some tweaking, this thing is GREAT! It soon became my #1 snare! Late last month, I took another plunge and ordered a 7pc Duke shell pack. Other than Fedx kicking the carton they were shipped in down a couple flights of stairs, The drums were everything I have come to expect from Dave Moody and HB. in a word THEY ROCK!!!

I swapped out the nasty batter heads on the toms with Evans G1 coateds and EMAD on the kick and an Evans ST on the batter side of the snare/Hazy300 on snare side along with a fresh set of TAMA'S starclassic 20std. snappy snares and POW these drums sing! They are the best sounding set of drums I have ever owned! Even with the G1's on the toms, I don't have to use my moongels. The sound is deep and punchy with loads of high end attack (due in part to the Evans single ply coated heads) But the shells are fabulous! I have used this kit in both of the bands I play in and have gotten compliments from both studio engineers and sound techs alike:blah: I will recommend these drums to ANYONE! YES EVEN YOU GUYS THAT HAVE BEEN AROUND THE DRUMMING BLOCK as I have! They would even work in a pro situation! Don't just take my word for it... Take the plunge and order a set! They come with a one year warranty and Dave Moody is a Great guy to deal with! Remember.."When everyone else's claims fail, HB IS THE REAL DEAL" Tell 'em James from Milwaukee WI. sent you! Peace and rock on with hb! I play them exclusively after 15years of Pearl drums!
:thu:
Any questions about my experience with hb feel free to ask!

are you {censored}ing kidding me?

I wasn't about to buy unknown hardware.

I'm talking about the lug casings/rims/BD spurs/shiny stuff attached to the shells.

• Members

Hi Crash! I look forward to your review after you get the kit. Hopefully it's all it's cracked up to be. I read somewhere that the shells are made in China but I could be wrong. Hey, a lot of drums are now coming out of China. Let us know how it turns out. Good luck.

• Members

:DWell, Mr. Hofmann.. I kid you f'ing not! I have had alot of experience with other "major" brands...and I must say again that dollar for dollar Hb is the real deal! I will continue to recommend these drums to all drummers who don't have a f'ing swiss account and want great sounding birch shelled drums. From the use of the expletives i can bet that I've been playing seriously since you had your first big wheel. As far as the lug casing and rims and such that you mention, time will tell. Finish inside the shells isn't first rate, but all in all you can't beat the value! I know it may be hard to believe, but these drums are among the best sounding I've personally owned!
:rolleyes:

Are those...

...Metal bass drum hoops?

Archived