Anyone try 2-ply heads on top AND bottom of toms?

jenksdrummer

• Members

I'm curious if anyone has used 2-Ply Heads (such as Evans G2) on both the top and bottom, and what their results were.

I'm looking for a low, sustained (with controlled overtones) type of sound, and I figure matched heads would be a step in the right direction - but, with them being 2-ply, I figure that would probably shorten the sustain.

• Members

I'm curious if anyone has used 2-Ply Heads (such as Evans G2) on both the top and bottom, and what their results were.

I'm looking for a low, sustained (with controlled overtones) type of sound, and I figure matched heads would be a step in the right direction - but, with them being 2-ply, I figure that would probably shorten the sustain.

Of course you can do that, but you will not get much out of your drum as far as tone or projection. I would concentrate on tuning the drum correctly with the (say, G2 or even a Pinstripe-type head). If you want a lower sustained sound, tune the drum at lower register with a regular resonant head. You still want the drum to project. I really believe you can get the sound you want without choking the drum itself with two thick heads on it.

I believe Steve Smith use the configuration you are talking about on the Frontiers album...Emperor top and bottom heads. They had a really round sound...no attack. This may be ok if you are mic'ed. If not, your toms will get lost in the mix with the music.

Good luck!

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Well dude, i think i might have some good info for ya. It seems that you have been on a little bit of a tone quest with heads for a while. Well, i was too back in the day. But i found the perfect head for what you are talking about. An aquarian studio-X coated or clear should do the trick. I can tune the head to sound like a single ply coated, and then tune it down to sound very punchy and warm. I never have had a prblem with these heads. If you have any questions about these heads, feel free to send me a PM. Good luck with the search. :thu:

• Members

Well dude, i think i might have some good info for ya. It seems that you have been on a little bit of a tone quest with heads for a while. Well, i was too back in the day. But i found the perfect head for what you are talking about. An aquarian studio-X coated or clear should do the trick. I can tune the head to sound like a single ply coated, and then tune it down to sound very punchy and warm. I never have had a prblem with these heads. If you have any questions about these heads, feel free to send me a PM. Good luck with the search.
:thu:

I have studio-x on top of my kit now. I am waiting for the 6/8/10" sizes.

• Members

How do you like them so far?

So far, they have some of the best low end I could get from my floor toms. They are not designed like other heads with that initial bright attack. I want my big toms to sound big and low.

Loose-ish tuning accomplishes the type of low end I was getting from the ec-1 coated, but without the dry/papery sound.

The response is good, and they don't slaughter the tone.

Archived