Cheap Drum Riser - Buckets or PVC Legs?

dmunsie

• Members

Well my day job is in structural design and if I were given only those two choices I would definately go with the buckets.

If you are worried about the appearance, just get some black fabric cut it slightly wider than your riser is tall and Velcro it along the edge of the platform, covering the sides and hiding everything underneath. And this will work for any shape of platform.

If you can, later on perhaps (I know you stressed cost being a concern) you could make your own cases (which will save money too) and make them all the same height that way you can place the empty cases under your platform. And they can store extra cables and such. Here's a rough example I threw together, it's for a 9' x 8' platform.....

drumplatformoncasesay4.png

Of course you could configure this type of setup in any way you wanted but it gives you an idea of what's possible.

For example, to get a smaller platform only put the drums under the plywood and place the cases closer together.

I would highly suggest a minimum of four points of contact (4 legs) more if you can, the more "legs" the better the weight displacement.

Also try to have a direct path of the weight to the ground such as a bucket or other support directly under the Bass Drum. Don't make a trampoline out of the thing =P

Anyway, good luck, I hope it all works out for ya.

Let me know what you decided to do and how it works.

-Loog

• Members

Heh didn't see the previous post about the Velcro =P

And as for the buckets, try a few paint shops like Sherwin Williams or Kelly paints, something like that.

Almost ALL their products come in 5 Gal buckets and they don't keep most of them. Also you could try Home Depot (although I hate that place) you can get some there. It's really easy to find free if not cheap 3, 4, & 5 gal. buckets just gotta look around =)

• 12 years later...

Archived