Cheap Drum Riser - Buckets or PVC Legs?

dmunsie

• Members

Well, thanks to 2 awesome threads on the forum about cheap, portable drum risers, I have narrowed my decision down to 2 models. My design will be rectangular instead of circle. ;)

Buckets:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=1743183

l_a91bed5d1788d697e5de1fc8d139898e.jpg

PVC Legs:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=415051

RR1.jpg

Which do you think would be stronger in the long run? I'm a BIG guy with a decent sized kit so I need alot of strength. Any thoughts? Thanks.

• Members

Hold the phone.... a much more expensive option (but oh so cool):

http://www.roadreadycases.com/intellistage.php

Upon further research it appears an 8x8 drum riser package would cost around $1100.00.

http://www.stagedrop.com/products/ISDRUM6424.html

The cheap options (bucket, pvc) would prolly cost less than $200.00 for everything. I don't know if the added cost for a "real" drum riser would be worth it to be honest. But I am playing some decent gigs at good clubs with hundreds of people at each show. But they don't give a $hit if I'm using buckets..right? :)

• Members

May i draw you a little plan of how we built stage + drum riser in our little club here? Very simple, good looking, cheap, compact and sturdy. All wood.

I have one as well that's sturdy enough to put a tank on. The buckets don't do anything for me. The PVC has a tighter diameter which will make it stronger, but the higher you go, the weaker the support. They both look a little...um...er...um...yea....

• Members

I went to HomeDepot and talked to them about the buckets/plywood stage and they said they use them all the time for their store meetings.

2 - 3/4 8'x4' plywood boards = $40.00

12 - 5 gallon buckets = $60.00

I would have them cut the plywood to 2 84"x42" sections so I could hinge together a 7'x7' stage area. Throw in some hinges, paint, etc, and the total cost should be around $150.00. Thanks for any comments. ;)

• Members

I don't know if you checked into this or not. SPC Industrial Systems makes composite plastic grated shelves that are used for outdoor plants called dunnage racks. They are made in 66" x 24" sections with 8 12" high legs. Each section runs around $120. Three sections creates a 5 1/2' x 6' riser that will nicely hold a 4 piece kit.

http://www.spcindustrial.com/dunnage.html

• Members

I don't know if you checked into this or not. SPC Industrial Systems makes composite plastic grated shelves that are used for outdoor plants called dunnage racks.

Those are especially awesome when the drummer has bladder-control problems, or some kind of hemorrhagic fever like ebola.

/w

• Members

Ask marko46 about the plans I sent him for my platform. It was 6x6 and was made solely of 3/4 marine plywood...3 or 4 sheets. I can't find my directions but it's in a thread on the forum. It completely dismantles and is portable and strong...he was going to try and build one...I don't know how he made out...

• Members

I used some sticky-back velcro on the riser and sew-on velcro on the fabric. Velour black, looks great, hides the buckets. It's not on in that picture you posted because I wanted to show it being put together. It's still going strong without a single incident.

The problem with PVC is storing/moving it -- the buckets stack into each other, and you can use them to haul in cables/etc. With PVC unless you get different diameters for each leg, you'll be stuck with a ton of PVC to carry individually. I would also definitely not trust little skinny PVC pipes as tall as the ones in your picture! Seems like a potential disaster.

For my 5.5' diameter circle I'm only using seven buckets -- three across the center hinges, two under the throne, and one under each bass drum leg -- and it rarely even wiggles. The only times I've been worried about things falling were when I was on a shitty stage to begin with and the bassist jumping around would make the riser move, etc.

I keep meaning to spray mine black but I love the confusion I get when I roll into the club with seven buckets. ;)

• Members

Thanks for all the info guys, very much appreciated! I found out several different solutions for drum risers in various price models. I created another thread and posted them all there. I'm still leaning towards the bucket verison just because of the simplicity and the "have it today" option. :)

TheDan - Thanks for the offer! I just might take you up on that one. ;)

Archived