Pearl Masters Custom (MCX)... is this good?

tlester

• Members

Hi all -

I just saw a Pearl Masters Custom (MCX) kit in a store that my son and I both really dug. It was a 5 piece shell pack and was the Gold "glass" finish. It was very sexy!

Sizes were 10", 12", 14", and 16" with a 22x18" kick. Sorry... I didn't catch the depths, but the 14" and 16" were floor toms.

The price tag said $1900. Is that a good deal? Is this is a good kit? It's always so hard to judge sound quality in a noisy store, holding the rim and playing a poorly tuned shell with the stock heads! However... it sounded pretty good even with that. My son fell in love with them.

-Tom

• Members

Hi all -

I just saw a Pearl Masters Custom (MCX) kit in a store that my son and I both really dug. It was a 5 piece shell pack and was the Gold "glass" finish. It was very sexy!

Sizes were 10", 12", 14", and 16" with a 22x18" kick. Sorry... I didn't catch the depths, but the 14" and 16" were floor toms.

The price tag said $1900. Is that a good deal? Is this is a good kit? It's always so hard to judge sound quality in a noisy store, holding the rim and playing a poorly tuned shell with the stock heads! However... it sounded pretty good even with that. My son fell in love with them.

-Tom

I cross referenced that kit with www.massmusic.net who usually has some of the lowest prices. That works out to about right.

The basic kit is $1,499 + $409 for a 16" floor tom.

• Members

it is a shit kit. get something with balls (i just don't like pearl...) if you are going to drop big bucks, why not get American or European?

HA!

http://www.pearldrum.com/sst-video.htm

Best made mass produced and custom made Asian made drums you can buy IMO! MCX is a Pearl Masters kit bro!~ I don't think you know what you're saying!?!?! http://www.pearldrum.com/whybuypearl/index.html :thu:

Lifetime shell warranty and Pearl manufactures the whole drum! Where do you get saying Masters maple drums are $*@t??:lol:

• Members

Not true! The MCX is a 6 ply North American Maple shell that is the same as the 6 ply Masters kit or MRX. They sound great and have some of the best hardware around. Toms dont slip or drop but stay in place. Pearls CS is tops in the bis. Something made in the US is great, but will cost a lot more for the same size of that set. Most of the US made stuff is made with Keller shells. Nice stuff for sure! Jst depends on who's building them. The only other that I can think of is some of the upper end Ludwig. I perfer US made stuff but just dont have the money for a kit that is equal to what mine is.

• Members

The only thing I have to say after watching that pearl video is that there was a piece of Bull{censored} in there with the hummer resting on the drumshell, and their statement that their drums are the strongest in the industry. I have a piece of physics for you. A CYLINDER shape is super strong no matter who makes it. Have you ever stepped on a perfect condition pop can? It will hold your weight until a slight pressure is applied to the side of it, then it will crush like a grape. Almost ANY drumshell will withstand a hummer resting on it, until you play with the integrity of the cylinder column. So yes they have strong drums, but so do tama, ludwig, sonor, and everyone else who makes round drums. I just wanted to say that as it makes my blood boil when I see ads that make out like BRAND X has the strongest this or that, you didnt see them placing a tama or sonor drum there alongside their drum and it getting crushed , Did you? Thats because it wouldn't be , unless they tampered with the side of the competitors drumshell before testing.

• Members

it is a {censored} kit. get something with balls (i just don't like pearl...) if you are going to drop big bucks, why not get American or European?

Generally speaking I think we maintain our own credibility better, and are of far more help to the OP, when we try to make a better distinction between foolish opinions ("it is a {censored} kit") and actual facts ("I just don't like Pearl").

Kind of like this:

I'm not a fan of the thicker shells and cast hoops, but if you're playing heavy rock or metal or like higher pitched, loud, short sustain drums, should be fine.

That's how it's done.

Then when the OP asks for a specific recommendation, rather than a picture of Keith Moon's kit, why not post "I like Premiere kits better, check out this one" and provide a link to an actual product?

Just saying.

• Members

Can someone point me in the direction of an under $2000 DW kit?

Also... My Son and I were talking today. He'd rather get a smaller kit w/ better quality than a big kit of lesser quality. I.e. like a top of the line 4 piece opposed to a pro-line, but not tops 6 piece kit.

So... what about a 4 piece DW or Gretsch USA? Anyone know where I can get get the best prices on those?

• Members

I have a set of Pearl Master's Custom drums, and the kick drum sound is the fattest, punchiest, and deepest sound I could find. I could probably use it to play small bar gigs, unmiked. I think the toms have great, tone, projection, and just the right amount of sustain. They are very well made and good sounding drums. I compared them to DW's, and they seemed very close in quality of sound and build, but I liked the Pearls better. I also play on an old set of Ludwig drums (circa, 1968) that sound great.

There are many variables to drum sound such as head choice, tuning, muffling, etc., that need to be considered when shopping for a drumset. Point is, it all boils down to personal preference, not what other's think is best. The budget thing is important, but you should settle for something that the drummer will be happy with in terms of the instrument's sound, look, and function. After all, he is the one who will be playing on it for years to come, not someone else.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

hopfully I am not too late. I did as You have been doing and told and have been researching for well over a year and there are so many brands to choose from.how do You know which is best? PEARL,DW,TAMA etc. all those so called shell packs are usually discontinued models is why the "good-deal". I have looked on e-bay and found much better deals there for what was offered but finally went with a drum maker in oregon called ALLEGRA. they can and will build You a custom kit in any way You want in the color of Your choice and before they apply the color to Your kit You chose ,will send You a sample drum (minus hardware of course) to make sure it is the color You want. if You change Your mind they will be more than happy to help You and also I ask any of You DW,TAMA,PERAL ETC. fans this question.... if for ANY reason You should pop a lug or have a problem with one of thier drums the OWNER himself will fly to You with a replacement drum (if needed to keep You playing if You are on the road) while he either repairs or calls in and orders an EXACT drum replacement. now would any of those "other" for mentioned brands do that? go to thier web-site and check it out as You can also e-mail or call them... allegradrums.com

and as Your Son's ability to play improves they can even help to upgrade His current kit with exact macthing drums if He should ever have the need to add on to His current kit.

Archived