Gretsch Renown vs. Pearl Masters Custom (MCX)?

tlester

• Members

The upper drums on the Pearl Masters are more resonant. I played on a set. But I like the Renown larger drums and kick better. There are tradeoofs to each I think...

When you say "upper drums", which sizes are you referring too? Because I'm considering the 12", 16", 22" set up.

-Tom

• Members

The upper drums on the Pearl Masters are more resonant. I played on a set. But I like the Renown larger drums and kick better. There are tradeoofs to each I think...

Actually, I have to disagree... I find that the Opti-Mounts hold the drum too tight and choke it, while the RIMS-style mounts on the Gretsch kit let it resonate better.

In terms of floor toms, both kits use legs with little air pockets in the bottom, but I actually like the Gretsch floor tom legs better because they are thicker and sturdier. They are about twice the thickness of the Pearl legs.

• Members

Actually, I have to disagree... I find that the Opti-Mounts hold the drum too tight and choke it, while the RIMS-style mounts on the Gretsch kit let it resonate better.

In terms of floor toms, both kits use legs with little air pockets in the bottom, but I actually like the Gretsch floor tom legs better because they are thicker and sturdier. They are about twice the thickness of the Pearl legs.

I wasn't even considering the mounts. I tapped on a few raw not even suspended with hardware...a friend asked me to go out and take a listen...I just wasn't impressed with the Renowns...now the New Classics were very nice all the way around...

• 11 years later...
  • Members

I own a Gretch renown,10,12,16,22 and a masters complete 13,16,22,they’re both amazing kits chalk and cheese,horses for courses,I play in a black sabbath tribute and a rock covers band and use the pearl for these gigs,for the smaller venues and jazz I’ll use the gretch

Archived