Phil Collins announces retirement

jorhay1

• Members

retirement...again?

Before he had just left Genesis and was still performing solo and had started film songs for Disney. I found out recently that the memebers knew that the 1992 tour was going to be his last tour with Genesis (until this last tour). They didn't announce it until 1996 (by then the band was normally recording a new album about every five years with a tour afterwards) I thought this last tour was to signify the end of something.

I guess they really were trying to bring back the classic five line up (Collins, Gabriel, Hackett, Rutherford, Banks). Hackett even said he was in if Gabriel was on board, but Peter declined so there went that.

I can kinda understand, Phil is approaching 60, His hearing is not what it used to be (viral bacteria infection that caused him to lose some hearing in one ear a few years back) His chops not being what they used to be. He has kids from the 70's to as new a five years old! He's a multimilliore, Oscar winner, Performed and produced with tons of other musicians, acted in films, etc

Not that I'm obsessed with the man, just that as I was getting into Genesis' music, he was going through the emotional divorce that led to the "Face Value". Genesis had kinda seperated then while Phil struggled to save his marriage before it ended in divorce. His drumming was a big influnce on me so whenever I would see headlines or news about him, I would check it out. that is how I know he has had at least three wives now. Like the retirement stories, that was news at the time.

I get the feeling he's a workcoholic, gets bored when things are the same after awhile, can pour his heart into a song but can't say it in person. (Listen to the other songs on "Face Value" and "Please Don't Ask" off Genesis 'Duke' CD plus the liner notes on many albums)

I haven't really kept up with him these past ten years, but I've heard that his last wife was much younger and now even they have hid the skids so my guess is that may be one the reasons he's focusing on family and home life. But no, I don't know really know what he's thinking or the real man so I can be WRONG.

Songwriter, performer, solo artist, producer, actor, film scores, Oscar winner, #1 hits, sold out arenas and stadium tours, drummer, pianist, percussion,.....sounds like a pretty full life. I don't think we've heard the last of Phil yet!

Archived