Help, those w/ exp w/ Stanton mixers!!!

DJ Dan #2

• Members

I've found two mixers I like, both of which are Stanton. One is the SMX-401 model and the other, RM-3S. They both have kill switches, but I'm wondering if the SMX-401 can accomplish complete kill using only the nob. This is because on their website, the RM-3S specifically states that its tone control is: +9,-26 dB (Hi, Mid, Low) and I know it has a kill switch. However, the SMX-401 specifically says they have : Hi +9,-45

Mid +9,-35

Low +9,-55

For those who have this mixer or hav had experience with it, can you elucidate this for me? Also there is another model (SMX-501) which says it can accomplish complete kill, but the tone control is only +9,40 dB (Hi, Mid, Low). Does this mean this mixer is worse than the previous model? Please explicate this for me also. Thanks!

• Members

I've been playing records for a very long time and I have had the pleasure of playing on a very wide variety of equipment. So, I think I'm in a position to give you a touch of advice here.

Do not buy a Stanton product. Stanton mixers are wonky. I'm generally pretty cool with my contract, but there is always one clause that always stays on - regarless of how cool the kids throwing the party seem. This clause is my Stanton Magnetics clause - I will not, under any circumstances, play on a turntable/mixer made by Stanton.

• Members

seriously dude, kill switches aren't that important. Nice feature to have, but certainly not worth enough to be at the top of your list of demands like that. My mixer's eq knobs turn from -20db to +12, and that seems to be MORE than enough. It sounds smoother as a turn than as a flick of a switch anyway. Liken it to sharply pulling down a volume slider as opposed to just flipping your phono/line switch.

And agreed, stanton (and the pre-alesis merged numark) mixers are crap. However for someone who's just starting, get what you can. Just remember if you buy cheap equipment, you WILL want to replace it with something better in LESS than 2 years. That being said, the stanton rm3 is a nice mixer for a beginner, but don't expect it to work very well for very long.

• Members

I agree with Synery - Kills seem really cool when you don't know how to mix, but once you know what you're doing, you rarely use them. They are a nice way to save a mix and that's the best thing I can say about them.

I have a slight obsession with Vestax products - I've been playing on them for years, but I think they're a bit out of your price range.

In terms of more reasonable mixers, I have to say that there are only a few that I would consider buying. Behringer makes a surprisingly competent machine. I've been anti-Behringer for awhile, but I really enjoy their mixers - they feel nice and i played really really really hard on one and had no problems.......

• Members

just saw the stanton SMX-401 on some website.. looks just like the rm3 to me, boiling down to a different crossfader. It looks like it'd be good through the intermediate levels. Same rules apply though, don't expect it to last forever. (or even more than 2-3 years.)

• Members

My first mixer was a numark DM2002. Sorta like a stanton rm3, only made by numark, and made about 5-6 years earlier. (give or take.) It was GREAT for about.... six months. I just plugged it in the other day cause my current mixer was packed up from a gig, and it's like this: EVERY slide fader (volume and crossfader) bleeds. The EQ knobs bleed. The gain knobs have little bleed spots that makes the volume jump from greens to reds. You're so busy cringing and scrambling you can't get any mixing done.

I'm currently using a Pioneer DJM-500. I got it used for $450. The previous owner had it for about 6 years, and I bought it about 6 months ago. It still works like new. The volume sliders are a little stiff, but I kinda like that. The crossfader is still smooth as silk, and it's user replaceable. My only gripes are the lack of a pre/post fader listen knob for the headphones, no crossfader slope control (though it is good and sharp enough for basic scratch techniques) and it gives things a slight digital overtone, if you get what I'm saying. (due to the digital fx processor in the preamp I guess.) I love it though. It definately works for both home and light venues. Matter of fact, I've played a few larger venues that also use the pioneer mixers. They usually cough up the extra dough for the 600 though.

• Members
:mad: Just picked up a Stanton SMX-210 in what I thought was a sweetheart deal ($29.00 brand new)... isn't worth $5.00 to me. Two days after working with the thing (in a studio setting) it 's started bleeding and has some nice static going on the left side of the crossfader when coming out from 0. What a piece of junk... I'll stick to my Vestax 05... thanks anyway Stanton at least I can use it to hold up a few records when I lean them against something.

• Members

prolly cause it's really easy to use even if you've never used one before. Plus, who playing on the club level HASN'T played on one before? I don't think any other mixer could work on such a wide base. At least not when you take the beat linked effects into consideration.

• Members

Originally posted by platinumtouch

:mad:
Just picked up a Stanton SMX-210 in what I thought was a sweetheart deal ($29.00 brand new)... isn't worth $5.00 to me. Two days after working with the thing (in a studio setting) it 's started bleeding and has some nice static going on the left side of the crossfader when coming out from 0. What a piece of junk... I'll stick to my Vestax 05... thanks anyway Stanton at least I can use it to hold up a few records when I lean them against something.

for some reason, that doesn't surprise me in the least....

ATTENTION BUDDING DJS, read this thread over and over. We're telling you the personal horror stories of money wasted on crappy mixers. My waste of space numark: $120

• Members

Originally posted by djsynrgy

for some reason, that doesn't surprise me in the least....

ATTENTION BUDDING DJS, read this thread over and over. We're telling you the personal horror stories of money wasted on crappy mixers. My waste of space numark: $120

Amen to that... been there done that with Numark one to many times myself.

• Members

Originally posted by djsynrgy

prolly cause it's really easy to use even if you've never used one before. Plus, who playing on the club level HASN'T played on one before? I don't think any other mixer could work on such a wide base. At least not when you take the beat linked effects into consideration.

That's true........but honestly, a mixer is a mixer and anyone who is actually good enough to play live should be able to play on anything........

I remember playing at this one dodgy show in New Orleans a few years back.......The kids who contacted me and booked me seemed really cool, so I agreed to go down and play a set for them..........Anyways, I get there a couple of hours before the show was going to start and guess what kinda mixer they had us using????

A 16 channel Mackie studio mixer.......You have never seen so many DJs with their chins lying on the floor..........

After playing that show, I know that I can play on any equipment, BUT I STILL WON'T PLAY ON STANTON PRODUCTS!!!!!!

Just another pointless post from your friendly neighborhood stupidstar DJ

Archived