MESH HEADS on electronic drums...durable?

polarnewfie

• Members

I have been tinkering with the idea of buying an electronic kit just because.

I have my "dream acoustic kit" already, and wont be selling it. But as you all know, the "Illness" of acquiring new drums doesn't get cured when you actually become happy with your set.

So, my only real experience with electronic drums are a set of 1980's simmons with the granite hard pads.

I tried out a set of drums with mesh heads recently and I loved the way they felt to play. I am a pretty heavy hitter (not a brute, just got used to playing on stage without mics, and trying to be heard).

**What is the "lifespan" of mesh heads on the electronic kits?? Do they last roughly the same as plastic heads? More/less??? What do they cost to replace?? I just won't bother with rubber "practice pad type" pads, so if I do spring for a set, they will have mesh heads. BUT I won't buy them if I have to change the way I play (I.E. play softer) I hit hard, but have only broken 1 drum head in 25 years- that was with a stick that the tip broke off and I didn't notice, so it cut my snare batter head. I really try to play off the drum, and not through the drum so to speak.

Any light you can shed on this will be appreciated. Not much info out there on the actual lifespan of mesh heads. I have never heard of anyone speaking of them good or bad in regards to how long they last.

• Members

They're going to last as long as you let them, but don't expect them to hold up like mylar.

Just out of curiosity, we are you not willing to try different (less) dynamics when you play? You can control the volume on an e-kit, so that you don't have to hit harder just to hear yourself. To me, that is just one of the many beauties of an e-kit. It might actually become extremely beneficial for you in the long run to be able to adjust your techniques when needed.

But back on track, there are many suppliers of mesh heads, but they do tend to be a little more than a regular head. I guess you could "reinforce" them with pads or gaffer tape, but I still think that controllable dynamics is the answer.

• Members

played on Roland mesh heads for around 7 years and have not replaced one yet. Several e-kits at churches I know of and they get abuse, but no heads needing replaced. I also use wood tips if that makes a difference I don't know.

One bass drums, don't use the felt beater, it can wear our the head, I use a falam pad and plastic beater on my kits.

• Members

Thanks for all the responses. I had no idea they could last that long (with normal playing of course). I think I am gonna have to "batter up" and get a set.

The reason I dont want to change dynamics is one (pure laziness to be honest), and the fact that I will never play them on stage, just private practice. I guess I want "seamless" transitions from E kit to acoustic kit.

I definately see the point you made about using dynamics, I know that it can only help ones playing. I actually do use alot of dynamics with touch control (while practicing in my garage by myself), but the last 10 years or so, I haven't been playing alot of music that required such touch. It is mainly hard full out rock, each tune picked to maximize energy and keep people either dancing, singing out at the top of their lungs, banging on tables, or just going crazy. This in turn minimizes the chance to display any real dynamics, as the guys I play with are "balls to the wall" all the time. The only time we play any real slow songs etc is when we get a request from a guy that needs that "one good long slow tune" to seal the deal with some chick he is trying to score with. Then , out of courtesy, we try to make sure he spends max time in the balloon squishing position.

We all have been there before, you just can't seem to close the deal with a lady, until you have that embrace for 5 minutes on the dance floor. So even my talk about dynamics have alterior motives.......

• Members

I respect your motivations.

But still... you never know. Some day that dude who squished the balloons might want you guys to play his wedding. And when his MILFY mother-in-law gets all bent out of shape because the band is too loud... don't think for a second that {censored} won't come back to bite you.

The biggest complaint we're ever gotten from a bar is about being too loud... well, there was that one time we absolutely train wrecked on a Grateful Dead tune, and cleared out the remaining 6 people. Bartender was a little miffed, and even Jerry was rolling in his grave.

It's just good practice, that's all. I'm getting ready to start pricing out an e-kit as well. Keep us posted on whay you get and why. Eh?

• Members

Roland is a double-headed mesh

Hart is a single-headed heavy mesh

Pintech is a single-headed medium mesh

Percussion Plus is a single-headed medium mesh

I've played with all for years and haven't broke a snare/tom/kick head yet. As mentioned previously, you won't need to strike as hard or use heavy sticks as with your acoustics. I've actually dropped down to zildjian 7A anti-vibe sticks and have worked more on subtle dynamics. You'll find it's easier to get louder by adjusting the master volume. :thu:

Hope you enjoy the e's. WW

Archived