i was raised on it and admired a lot of those types

of drummers, before i REALLY discovered Bonham

and Paice and the greats...

However, I always thought out of the 80's Hair Metal

lot that Bobby Blotzer from Ratt had some interesting

fills/grooves and was pretty solid. And then of course,

Tommy Lee and Randy Castillo

• Members

I think Tommy Lee is one of the most overrated drummers of all time. Point out one thing he did that was really exciting. And before you jump on the soap box, I don't think someone needs to sound like Dennis Chambers or Dave Weckl to be amazing. But Tommy Lee to me is Phil Rudd with a second bass drum.

• Members

I think Tommy Lee is one of the most overrated drummers of all time. Point out one thing he did that was really exciting. And before you jump on the soap box, I don't think someone needs to sound like Dennis Chambers or Dave Weckl to be amazing. But Tommy Lee to me is Phil Rudd with a second bass drum.

Meh, his kit could do cartwheels. That's about it though.

• Members

I feel there must be a delineation before i can answer fully .. .ergo:

Best Drummers of the Hair-Metal Era:

Nicko McBrain

Tommy Aldredge

Vinnie Appice

Alex Van Halen

Best Drummers In a Hair-Metal Band:

Bobby Blotzer

Tico Torres

Frankie Banalli

Blas Elias

I'm sure I've forgotten some notables in each category, but those were the ones who immediately came to mind.

• Members

Hey guys:

now this is an interesting thread, and one I think worth its due...Admittedly, the ' Hair Metal' Era was full of poseurs, but there were some good solid musicians in there....I submit some Canadian Content: Haywire, and their drummer Randy Matthews....

All the Classic Hair Metal elements are in place : Big Power Chords, Singalong Choruses, screaming Frontmen , quick edit Vids,Bass player using the Steinburger, and nonsensensical framing story....but for all that, this song is as catchy as hell and listen to what Matthews is doing during the choruses.....I saw them in their heyday and he hit like a sledgehammer....apparently they're still going, but the hair is long gone!! :eek: anyway, Haywire deserve some kudos because they tried to be more than a hair metal act, mixing different styles up on their albums.

That's my Three Cents:

:thu::thu:Peace:thu::thu:

• Members

Some of my favorite drummers from that era...

Robert Sweet

Mikkee Dee (when he was with King Diamond)

Scott Rockenfield

Scott Travis (first discovered him when he joined Judas Priest on the Painkiller Album

And let me throw my two cents in about Tommy Lee. Say what you want about him... maybe he wasn't a technically superior drummer with the greatest chops... but neither was John Bonham. Now before anybody gets their panties in a bunch thinking I'm comparing Tommy Lee to John Bonham... I'm not, so relax. I'm just saying, like John Bonham, the one thing I would say about Tommy Lee, he did know how to put down a good groove. I didn't idolize him as a drummer, but I respected what he did for his music and as an entertainer.

• Members

Honestly!.....Used to know a dude in the 80's that would sound like him note for note! The hell with the devil I say!

One dude I first heard about from a hair Metal band was from Whitesnake's

"Slide it In" CD. Mr Cozy Powell! That Album (or cassette as it were) rocked!! find and put that CD in today and it still holds up!! Was before WS with Tawny Kitten and the cheesy videos.

Y&T, Whitesnake, Aldo Nova, Triumph, Zebra, Dokken, Scorpions, Slade, DIO, and way many others before the genre started becoming a cartoon of itself!

When In doubt, I whip it out, I got me a rock and roll band, it's a free for all!:thu::eek::cool:

• Members

I agree. He is a good drummer, but during live shows he needs to keep his mouth shut. A bit of a wanker IMO. He is more famous for shagging Pamela Anderson.

• Members

I agree. He is a good drummer, but during live shows he needs to keep his mouth shut. A bit of a wanker IMO. He is more famous for shagging Pamela Anderson.

Archived