What gigs are there for a Christian Band?

bwalker

• Members

I'm involved in a newly formed Christian Worship Band. I assume that most (if not all) bars and clubs aren't looking for the type of music that we perform. We have been playing for about a year, and are really starting to get a good sound. We actually did get a call from someone who "claims" they're contracted with Sony, and they're interested in writing music with us. I'm still skeptical about that route. Anyway, we have been visiting churches at least once a month for Masses. However, I'm trying to see if anyone has any insite on other opportunities/ideas for a band like ours. I don't think that we are ready for conference type venues yet.

Right now we're 95% covers and 5% originals. However, the creative juices have been flowing and I feel that those percentages should change dramitically in the near future.

• Members

As a solely Christian music band, your gigging options are indeed limited. Generally speaking, the best you could do is do shows at churches for offerings. My church, for example, has a "showcase series" evening concert every other month. Lots of the bigger churches bring bands in for activities. Only thing is, you gotta be GOOD or, at least, better than any of their own groups in order to get the gig.

Our band, which we choose to call a "secular band comprised of Christians" rather than "Christian band", plays a mix of originals, mainstream-ish praise music, and secular covers that have a positive message. Because we're not playing only "Christian music", we are marketable in nearly every kind of venue. In fact, our biggest clients are corporations like Dell, D R Horton, and Hyatt.

There are lots of "Christian" songs that have crossover quality, like "I Can Only Imagine" by Mercy Me, that get airplay on secular radio. Incorporate those kind of songs into your setlist, as well as songs that are positive in nature. In other words, AC/DC and Marilyn Manson are out, but stuff like Creed, Kansas, or the Eagles is okay. Also, lots of stuff on the country charts is bordering on praise music, so you could use some of that (i.e. "Long Black Train", "Go Rest High On That Mountain", etc).

Another thing to think about is how you present the music. Even well-chosen, purely secular music, played by a band infused with the Holy Spirit, will be "Christian." Our originals are positive in nature, if not overtly Christian, yet have a top-40 vibe that easily sells.

Points to ponder...

Cheers!

• Members

I kinda thought so. It's ashame that Christian Bands don't have a place to build. Like you said, you have to be REAL GOOD, and it's up to you to get better without exposure. That's tough.

We do play a lot of MercyMe (in fact I saw them in concert a few weeks back), and others who would be classified moreso in the Top 40 catagory.

The rumours have it that Christian music has found a Mainstream market (I don't think that MercyMe would have had a chance on the Top 40 in the early 80's and early 90's). Hopefully opportunities that I'm talking about will surface for other bands in similar situations.

Thanks for the feedback. Anyone else have any input??

• Members

play at church concerts....or christian clubs.....dfw has like 3 solely christian clubs and church concerts all the time......

if you solely do worship, then yes, you're "eff'd", b/c who in the world needs a worship band for hire??? everyone just makes their own, unless you're blood hillsongs, darlene Zesch(whevr), or something like that...

sorry bro, there just isn't a market for decent worship bands......

now, if you're 90-100% original christian rock, then talk to me and i can help you out........but p/w just isn't anything.....

-John

• Members

My rock band has played with worship bands at coffeehouses that have a Christian bent. Anything from Jesus People hippie style to Latin Jazz. There are tons of listings for Christian coffeehouses all over the internet. The trouble is, as I have found, most of them have closed or are only open once a month. You really have to leave it up to Jah though.

• Members

as a Christian band, especially a worship band...you have many options!

For example...

Churches are always looking for bands, even if you don't get a large amount of money for playing, "Love offerings" esp. at larger churches are you best friend! I've played shows and was paid 2oo bucks up front but then recieved a 1500 dollar love offering.

Camps...Christian camps/retreats always need worship bands...you will be there for roughly a week/depending on what kind of contract you have with the camp administrators...you will usually get around 1500 for the week, but traveling expenses,food,lodging, and other amenities will be covered.

Christian Clubs...there are many Christian clubs opening across the country. that are packed pretty much every night (ie Rockettown in Nashville)

also remember planning your own events is not only a good source of revenue, but if you get a church to donate venue/sound equipment you have no over head and it gets your name widespread in that community...

and when approaching it from a financial point of view merch is your friend!!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Hey bwalker...im kinda in the same situation, Ive been involved w/ a Christian group for almost a year now, any it is tough to find a lot of gigs locally. PLaying in bars is certainly not an option in which the sole purpose of a band is to keep people drinking and acting stupid while drunk, and that is not the messge i/we want to get out. where are u located at, I am involved w/ an outreach ministry with a church in Moberly Missouri that has all kinds of bands play there, recently weve had Spoken, East West (got to open for them wahoo!!! :D ) and Royal Peiesthood, just to name a few. If you are interested in traveling to Missouri I can give you a name of the guy who does the booking who just happens to be the lead singer in the band.

Keep lookin!!! There out there!!

God Bless,

Tim

• Members

I'm located in Allen Park, MI (Detroit Area).

I have been playing local churches. We are having our first self-promoted concert on May 15th.

I will be sure to contact you when we start travelling. We are in the process of piceing together a travelling rig. Since we play at our church also, we need 2 everything. That sucks.

I'm going to be hitting some Christian Music festivals this summer. Hopefully, I'll get some ideas.

Peace,

Brian

• Members

My drummer plays in a Worship band on the side most Sunday's. He makes really good money and played a gig with them at the Houston Astrodome a few months ago...to tens of thousands of people.

if you can get in that niche...you're all set. I'll see if I can get some info out of him for you.....

• Members

I played bass in a Christian band called the Midnight Watch in the late '70's. We played Phil Keaggy and many others and our guitarist, who was 20 years old, could sound almost like Phil himself! We got to play for no money but a free stay at Glacier Lodge in Montana. We ate for free and stayed for free and played in the evenings. You might try approching some family oriented places with a similar suggestion.

• Members

You guys in the US have a lot more resources out there! In the UK, apart from Delirious? Soul Survivor and a handful of groups and songwriters, the market is sewn up. I've been playing in my uni worship for what feels like ages, and I'm craving for something bigger as I've been playing in worship bands since I started playing (16, now 21) Now, I've got my songwriting hat on along with my voice skills coming up to scratch, I wanna take things a step up, but where to get a fair shot? Anybody in the Uk got any ideas?

Archived