Hey! Could anyone recommend a CD player that can be operated by a footswitch?

bellehard

• Members

Hey Mr DJ!

OK. I know this is not entirely the right forum for this question, but I posted the message in the Live forum and the Recording forum without much success... so...

If any of you guys know of any professional portable CD-players that can be used with a footswitch on stage, please let me know. I need a footswitch to skip between tracks on a CD as I play the guitar and sing and won't be able to control things otherwise.

Anyone familiar with...

Superscope PSD230 / PSD350?

Yamaha CDR1000?

Sony SCD777ES? Can a footswitch be used?

Numark CDN88? Footswitch?

Thanks. Keep rocking.. oops... sorry, dancing!

bellehard

:)

• 3 years later...
  • Members

I am looking for the same set up because I do the same gig, so I'll keep tabs on answers. What I've found in my search is an out-of-production TASCAM CD player - the CD-450, which talks about footswitch control in its technical doc. You can find a couple of these on ebay. Also, the newer TASCAMs (CD-01U and 01U Pro) have RS232 connections on the rear panel. I'm wondering whether there is a compatible footswitch. Finally, the Denon DNC 615 has a RC port on the back, but I don't know if a footswitch exists that would work here either. Wish us both luck on this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

You could use a midi foot controller, several numark models have midi control support, ex. CDN90 CDN88, though those models are a bit of a overkill for just playing tracks. Otherwise if you got some basic soldering skills, just wire up the buttons on the control to basic footswitches.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

The Tascam unit uses the footswitch for "Control of Event Start Function." This sounds to me like it just acts like fader start. When the foot switch/fader start becomes engaged the CD player goes from pause/cue to play... i.e. not helpful. The Numarks with MIDI might be the best way to go, but the laptop is the easiest. Just get a laptop with a CD-ROM drive and figure out which key skips tracks (usually the right arrow key). Then pry that key off and figure out a mechanical way to have a foot movement strick that spot. BOOM! Footswitch CD player.

PS~ you can get a USB keyboard so you don't f-up the laptop's main keyboard.

Archived