12" question

greg reeves

• Members

There is a difference sound quality wise, but it's pretty small. If you take a 33 and a 45 with the same music on them, the groove on the 45 will be longer. With that increased length comes the ability to get more imprinted information on the record within the same amount of playing time. This leads to what is supposedly a more round, detailed sound. I think the difference is slightly audible if you're paying attention to it, or my ears could be fooling me, who knows....

I can only assume that a similar difference would exist between a 45 and 78 rpm record as well. Someone told me that there were once lots of experiments with trying to press records to turn at slower than 33 rpm in order to make their play time longer but the sound quality dropped off to much if you went any slower, which seems plausible enough to me.

As for the way they're handled by a dj, I don't know that there's really that much of a difference. A 33 rpm record may be a little bit easier to scratch on than a 45 because you wouldn't have to move the record as far to get the same sound, but I don't know for sure as I don't do too much scratching.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

It is based on time constraints. A 12" 45rpm can hold only 8 minutes or so per side, a 33rpm can be around 12 minutes. Now that is at full levels, back them off a few db, the grooves become tighter and you can fit more on a side.

33 and 45 are the same bass-wise unless the cutting house or mastering house pulled some volume out (bass grooves are the widest).

Archived