So whos jaded?

joestanman

• Members

Again, didin't realize it was an old thread!! LOL

Anyone every figure out what happened to the original poster? Would love to hear from him 9 years later!!

Just realized I've been on these forums 11 years now!!! I just turned 41!!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've been here since '96 I believe. I spent a long time away from music, but still discussed it more philosophically and about song writing and stuff. I never really posted in the Music biz or BWTB before . When I re-entered the scene in 97-98 I began talking in BWTB about taking a coverband and molding it into a success, and that was where BS stopped me in my tracks and laid down what I'd missed over the last 15+ years. I think I went through all 5 stages in one thread lol, but in the end, it's ALWAYS been somewhere in the back of my mind that someday... someday I might find a way to at least have enough success with music that it would heavily supplement my current income to give me something of a more comfortable lifestyle.

So I guess I'm still in the compromise stage :idk:

• Members

I had serious dreams of making it when I was younger, but they petered out when my last band split up. Ultimately I just realised that I was never going to get anywhere with having to rely on other people, so I went it alone and haven't looked back. Even when I was doing 120 mile round trips to London just for gigs and rehearsals I didn't think I was working hard enough and now, recording eight hours a day five days a week, I'm really putting a shift in and am finally on the way.

• 2 years later...
  • Members
That’s why I started my own project. I know I can’t control everything but I can make it that some of the stress and BS is a little less prevalent in my own band.

I find it to be six-of-one/half-a-dozen-of-the-other for the most part. When I'm just playing in somebody else's band, it sucks that so little is to my liking. But if I'm running things, then there's all the stress that comes with herding cats and running the operation.

It's always work. And work that doesn't usually pay all that well. You gotta love it to do it, for sure.

• Members

I am beyond jaded. I don't want to play in a cover band haven't written anything in almost 2 years and have no faith in the Nashville machine. If I had any other expertise of worth, I'd be out of this business completely. That said there's good opportunity for $$ gigs near the beach with my skill set while I build up my private events production business....thinking about jumping outta here next year if things don't improve measurably. The quickest I can hire my own replacements from any band I have to play in while I get this thing up and running the better.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • Members
If we didn't love it, we wouldn't be in here moaning about it...;)

There is some truth to it. It's just hard sometimes to keep your head above water because there are always things in your way. Your married to 6 people in a band essentially. You have to deal with drama, money, personal issues and sometimes tragedy and keep the project moving at the same time. One thing I learned to do is accept that is it not a perfect thing. It helps me to navigate through things and become less jaded.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Interesting article. I like how it mentions that musicians have been on the cutting edge of economic developments. I had never thought of it that way before, but it's true.

And its conclusion is one I've been saying for awhile: the only real way to monetize music going forward seems to be (at least right now) live performance. Because you can't duplicate that a million times over the way you can a recording. It's a one-time event.

The onus is then upon the musicians and the performers to come up with new ways to excite audiences and make attending their live performance something worth their time and money.

• Members
Interesting article. I like how it mentions that musicians have been on the cutting edge of economic developments. I had never thought of it that way before, but it's true.

And its conclusion is one I've been saying for awhile: the only real way to monetize music going forward seems to be (at least right now) live performance. Because you can't duplicate that a million times over the way you can a recording. It's a one-time event.

The onus is then upon the musicians and the performers to come up with new ways to excite audiences and make attending their live performance something worth their time and money.

And, once more there's agreement that the middle man is the culprit and should be removed. I like your onus assignment. It seems to me it's the talent (source) people are seeking so that's where audience appeal (stage presence) needs to be practiced and nurtured. Maybe it's been too long in the hands of meddlesome money-grabbers ensuring the gig schedule instead of real audience demand.

• Members

Well, there are always going to be middle men and managers. If, for no other reason, because musicians and other artists are notoriously horrible businesspeople.

But whenever and wherever you can cut the middle man out---then by all means do so!

In addition to being on the cutting edge of economic developments, musicians have always been on the cutting edge of technology as well. For whatever reason---and maybe its just because we are still in the early years of the development---musicians seem to be a bit slow in getting the hang of not only how to monetize with new technologies but how to entertain with them as well.

But there is just too much of a natural demand for music and musical entertainment for this to go on forever. Musicians just still seem to be too stuck in the old paradigms of the live band and the recorded song. It's a decades-old format so it's not all the surprising that new generations don't seem to be all that excited by it. Something will break loose soon, I predict. In the next 10 years maybe? We'll see people doing stuff with live music performance and technology and getting people to pay for it that we haven't even really thought of yet.

• Members
Yes but will it be good, will it be concrete and something worth having? Face it musicianship and actually playing an instrument is not popular with kids. Kids don't dedicate themselves to anything anymore.

wasnt that exactly what people said in 1954 at the dawn of the rock era?

"Worth having" for who? You? Me? Nah. What could anyone possibly come up with that we'd prefer to our old Pink Floyd records? I don't need to like it.

A new paradigm means the rules need to be changed. If so, then you can't judge it based on the criteria for "good" of the old paradigm.

• Members

A Point of View: Why it's time to turn the music off - BBC News

This. I don't know about anyone else but I prefer to choose my own aural entertainment. The mindless profiteers convincing people, of even less cranial capacity, that piped-in music in every aspect of public life is a good thing, with complete disregard to those within earshot, get my Irish up. Muzak was the first of the privacy invaders. Yes, minding your own business and then having someone throw whatever music they choose to throw at you is an invasion of privacy. I think the practice should be halted immediately. I don't care that it will greatly reduce royalty revenues. The practice was started and remains extant without the consent of the public ear.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived