Ankle Pain...? Drum related....?

slap happy drums

• Members

Holy smokes....i thought i was the only one with ankle pain, but I guess not.

i have serious pain if I practice for long hours, especially double bass.

It was worse and I thought it was gout. I went to the doctor and she recommended i do an ex-ray, as she suspects i sprained it.

I haven't done any ex-rays, because it healed fast, and I haven't touched the drums for a while.

I guess i know my limit now. Practice no more than an hour or two a day,which is a bummer, but its better than not being able to walk and play at all :cry: :poke: :facepalm:

PS: Slap Happy Drums: Do you play regularly? Have you tried giving your ankle some rest. A month or more? I have completely healed. I haven't touched the drums for a month or two. I am not really a drummer, so its not a big deal for me... But I feel for you. :(

Hope you heal fast. Give it lots of rest. My situation was so bad, I wasn't able to sleep at night because of the pain. Even changing pants was a nightmare because standing on my injured feet was impossible..

But i still managed to play drums because I used my left foot for the kick bass (I have double bass pedal). This allowed my right foot (bad foot) to rest. I have an ekit, so I can map the close hi-hat and open-hat to different parts of the drums. its not how you would want to drum...but it has to do when your feet is messed up like mines..

Hope you get better soon.

• Members

Hey, glad you got better.

Just to give another warning, try and avoid painkillers as much as possible, as these only masquerade the problem and not fix it.

Sometimes your body has its way of giving you the warnings, so its safer to listen and follow it's orders...if you can afford to, that is. :thu:

Good luck and happy drumming.

• Members

Glad your feeling better Slap. Longfuse, I know it's your dialect, but "learnt" and "whilest" are pretty funny in a chuckle sort of way. I imagine you type just like you talk. But when I type it here, my spell check say's it's wrong. I like it.

BTW, there's a pretty decent article in this month's MD on ankle pain, but it focuses on a sprain or strain and not what you have Slap.

• Members

Longfuse, I know it's your dialect, but "learnt" and "whilest" are pretty funny in a chuckle sort of way. I imagine you type just like you talk. But when I type it here, my spell check say's it's wrong. I like it.

Virtually all spell-checks incorporated into browsers/programs use the US version of the English Language, so I'm constantly questioning my use of the language too! ("Hmm, I was sure that was a word...")

Archived