Ankle Pain...? Drum related....?

slap happy drums

• Members

hell it's to the point where I'm walking around like and 80 year old man , my feet and ankles hurt when I think about them , let alone walk or stretch or move my feet in any way.

Oddly it's the worst in the morning and evening , I think my brain might just be coping during the day so I can get on w/ my work day , today was all day long though.

• Members

Due to existing health problems, I get trouble with my ankle and calf muscles. Means I can only play simple stuff with the right foot (not a big deal for me), and heel down. To make life easier I bought a 2" rubber block and stuck it under the heel of my kick pedal. Assuming correct posture, it means that my muscles are totally relaxed when not in use. Helps enormously. Not much use if you don't play heel down, though (or if your pedal won't allow the use of 'high-heels').

Massage the area after playing. Definitely helps.

• Members

My feet and ankles have been swollen and crazy sore for a few weeks now , I'm not sure if it's drum related or not.....?

I may have pulled something in both ankles while woodshedding double BD , but it seems unlikely.

Any of you guys ever mess up your feet or ankles while drumming?

how old are you?

Is it mostly joint pain? like toe joints or deep bone pain?

have you tried to elevate them? results?

• Members

Agree with Wellhung, both feet and both ankles could very well indicate a circulation problem. The fact that mornings & evenings (probably your least active times) are the worst would be another indicator. See a doctor as soon as your situation permits and in the mean time try to sleep with your feet above your heart to help drain the accumulated fluids, avoid sodium as much as possible and late in the day, as pain permits, walk for 30-45 minutes as fast as possible to get that heart pumpin'.

Hope you feel better soon.

• Members

Agree with Wellhung, both feet and both ankles could very well indicate a circulation problem. The fact that mornings & evenings (probably your least active times) are the worst would be another indicator. See a doctor as soon as your situation permits and in the mean time try to sleep with your feet above your heart to help drain the accumulated fluids, avoid sodium as much as possible and late in the day, as pain permits, walk for 30-45 minutes as fast as possible to get that heart pumpin'.

Hope you feel better soon.

I'd been thinking of trying to walk it off , hadn't thought to elevate though.

Also oddly enough it lines up almost exactly w/ when I quit smoking......weird.

Thanks guys.

• Members

I'm 30 , the ankle pain feels like tendons the foot pain feels like bruises (thought there are no bruises)

.....no problems peeing , and not a fan of organ meat....

Gout isn't about the volume of pee, it's about how well your body rids itself of uric acid in the bloodstream. And the cause varies with the individual. For me, I have to severly limit intake of asparagus or brussel sprouts, or any kind of dried seafoods like squid or octopus....and beer! A friend of mine can't eat ham.

My first attack happened when I was about 33 or 34. Came on at the end of a week of excessive beer consumption (I'm talking a 12 pack a day). My foot started feeling like I had sprained it, and by midnight, it was so painful I couldn't think straight.

However, with Gout, it will hurt whether you are on your foot or not. No matter what position you put your foot in, it still hurts.

If your foot only hurts when you're on it, then it's probably not Gout.

Hope you beat this thing.

• Members

I had the same thing about two years ago. A bad case of the 'cankles', take my shoes off & even my socks and I could see the depression where the fabric had been. When I would fly (occasionally in the air for a total of 10 hrs on one day) I could barely walk when I got off the plane. Started using an 'excercycle' in the mornings also using light hand weights (looked totally fem, but who cares! lol) and playing drums again which gave me well over 15 hrs a week of low to mid cardio and I haven't had the problem since.

make sure to elevate the feet above the heart after your walks or exercise too. Gravity + blood flow=good!

• Members

Today is actually worse than normal so I buckled and set up a Dr. appointment (that I can't even nearly afford) so hopefully I'll get to the bottom of it on Monday.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I'm gonna pop some I-bU , drink a {censored}load of water , and try to walk my dog , then elevate and ice.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

hell it's to the point where I'm walking around like and 80 year old man , my feet and ankles hurt when I think about them , let alone walk or stretch or move my feet in any way.

Oddly it's the worst in the morning and evening , I think my brain might just be coping during the day so I can get on w/ my work day , today was all day long though.

Can you tell what the outcome was? I'm in the same situation now for almost a month. First I thought maybe a sprain but, it's not. I have gone to doctors, had some blood work done and an xray and they don't know what it is. So can you tell me did you find out what it was you had? Thanx

• Members

Very common problem.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/medical/IM00939

I got some shoe inserts that were made specifically for Plantar Fasciitis at Wal-Mart and they did a world of good , that mixed with stretches , mixed with an anti-inflammatory(Naproxin) , and ice (20 oz soda bottles that I rolled my feet on) , wrapped up in a big healthy burrito of foot care seems to have made the problem go away......it still lurks in the shadows though , I'm too lazy to stretch 3 times a day......sad to put that thought into print.....I'll have to procrastinate doing something about it.

• Members

A good tip I learnt from an osteopath is to roll the sole of your foot on a golfball: support your upper body whilst standing, then place your weight on the ball. Hurt like hell at first, but it really keeps inflammation down.

Massages is nature's healer, better than any drug...

Archived