How old is my kit ? (Looking for Yamaha serial number info)

Mackin

• Members

Hello,

After thinking about it for a long time now, I finally bought a used kit (to learn to play drums, I'm a guitar guy). The kit is a Yamaha Stage Custom : rack toms 10" & 13" with 16" floor and 22" bass drum (I think). I know very little about the specs of this kit (well, about drums in general :D) and I would appreciate some help in finding its age and the particular specs for it.

The small name plates on the shells say Yamaha Stage Custom "Made In Indonesia" and a serial number. The 10" tom has 5TT-610 POP12441 and the snare has 55D-065 POM05280 (I haven't looked at the other shells yet).

Any information appreciated :)

Thanks for reading,

- Mackin

P.s. Here's a pic (never mind the vintage carpet). And by the way, the snare & hi-hat on the left belong to my drummer.

yamahascdrumkit.jpg

• Members

You sure that tom doesn't say TT-510? The 5-series is the Stage Custom. The 610 comes up as the Power V. That's a different kit completely.

With those full-length lugs the kit is no older than about 1990. Could be brand new. If you email Yamaha the serial number they can tell you. I've done it before. It may take a day or two, but they're very helpful.

• Members

Yep, it's a 90's or early 00's. Worth more to hang on to than to sell, good, solid sounding drums.

I concur. I have a Stage Custom set with the same lugs and badges, although my toms are sizes 12" 13" and 16" floor tom. I got my set new for Christmas of 2001. Although I think the set might be older since the local music store got it from their sister store in the next town. They talked about it "sitting there" for awhile if I remember. Also when I tried to match up my serial numbers, I got matches for the year 1999. SO I reason that my set could've been "Made" in 99', Shipped and warehoused in 00', got at the music store and sat for 00'-01' ???

From what I've seen, the early 90's Stage Custom have a "flatter" style ball clamp casing. From what I can see, I would say more than likely it's from the 98'-01' Era. I don't really see it being older than 95'. I think the writing on the badges were slightly different then too.

I know it's not newer than 01'. For Christmas of 02', I got the add on 8" and 10" toms. By then, The Stage Customs came in the SC standard and SC Advatage name (I think the Advatage was they had more matte colors) AND they went to a split lug design, PLUS came with YESS tom arms (arms didn't go through the shell) ALSO the bass drum tom mount began having three holes for mounting an extra cymbal stand or whatever.

I wonder if originally your set had a 12" 13" 16" set up along with the 10" and maybe somthing happened to the 12" because 10" and 13" are odd to come from the factory that way, unless it was ordered that way? (You could order add ons and pieces that were already premade, not "custom" order stuff).

I remember when I tried to match my numbers up they didn't except for one and that showed 99'. I think is because Yamaha in Japan, contracts or sublets the making of them to Indonesian factories so is not fool proof.

The Stage Custom line was dropped in 04'-05'? Later came back as the All Birch Stage Customs in around 07'-08'?? Your set as well as mine is made of inner layers of Phillipine Mahognany and Falkata woods with outer layers of Birch. Also DO NOT over tighten the ball clamps, tighten the mount tubes first. I cranked the crap outta mine and they stripped after five years. Also may take off the heads and tighten the screws that hold the lugs on snug tight,(on the inside of the toms) helped my sound.

Yes I agree is better to hang on to the set than sell. Can open up the sound of the drums with different heads. (I imagine they might sound kinda "thuddy" with the black Evans heads on the bottom heads). Also save up and get a newer boom cymbal stand when you can. That way you position the ride cymbal anyway you want. I would "suggest" that you lessen the angle of the crash cymbal as well. Will get better response from the cymbal and hit the cymbal with "glancing blows", meaning recoil your hand back and don't "Beat" the cymbals, Etc.

Sorry this is so long! I was just gonna make a few points and then would remember something else. GREAT first set! Hope this helps, now find another guitarist to jam with and ask him to describe his favorite beat to play along with and try not to laugh! (Be op....Ba-dum, ba-dum, dat-dat-dat......) :confused::lol:

• Members

Wow, that's a wealth of information ! Thanks for taking the time write all of that down :)

It feels pretty special to begin playing a totally new instrument when you're used to being pretty decent on your main instrument (which is guitar in my case). I've got some intense practicing to do (I suck :D) !

Lots of fun ahead !

On another note, I spoke with the original owner while I was in town today (he happened to be the second owner of the kit, making me the third) and he told me the very first owner had purchased the kit around 2001 - 02. Next time, I'll ask him about the 10" tom, you got me wondering too :lol:

About buying hardware and new stuff now, I am probably going to live with what I have at the moment just to learn. Maybe in a few months I'll start shopping, but not much earlier. My drummer also told me I should choose the hi-hat I like best (I have two) and build my future cymbal set around the sound of the chosen hi-hat.

Just in case you are wondering which hi-hats I have, I have (possibly from the 80's) a mint Meinl Streamer "Made In Germany" 14" medium (the alloy is very grey/silver-looking : nickel ?) and an old Zildjian (no idea how old) of the same size.

Thanks again for all the replies everyone :)

- Mackin

• Members

I'm lucky enough to know a few seasoned drummers in my city, so I can always ask them my questions. I will eventually consider lessons, especially (like you said) to learn about ergonomics and correct playing posture.

I'll have pics of the hi-hat cymbals up in a few minutes ;)

And thanks a lot to drumnhands for the #serial and date matching :)

• Members

Cool !

So, nothing new regarding the hi-hats ?

I don't know about the Mienl Hats, But I'm 98% certain that the Zildjian hats with what they call "the hollow logo" (ink is only on the border and doesn't fill in the middle of leaving it hollow) is from the 70's.

Is fairly collectable and you should hold on to them unless you truly hate them. In the 80's and on, Zildjian and others went with a "full" ink stamp of the brand. More important is starting in the 80's, Zildjian's lathing and hammering was done more by computers and machines hence a more uniformed sound. With knowing only a limited amount of guitar knowledge, would be close to an older amp that was made before almost all amps came with solid state technology.

In a nutshell, you seem to have a pair of 14" Zildjian 70's era Hollow Logo "New Beats" hi hats. While they are not "rare" they are very collectable and harder to find everyday.

The 70's New Beats have that great vintage sound and should provide a lifetime of playing provided you take care them. From your pics, I don't see any cracks along the center hole or edges. No keyholing from the center hole. This happens when the center peg of the stand starts wallowing out a niche in the center hole of a cymbal making the center hole look more like a keyhole. Hence is also why playing a cymbal at extreme angles on a stand is discouraged. Especially without a cymbal stand sleeve.

There used to be a thing with cymbalholic.com where you could look at different engravings on Zildjian cymbals over the years, but I keep getting a "web failure" whenever I post a link. Hope this helps...

Also hold the cymbal under a lamp light. On the outer edge of the cymbal should be a stamp. This will look like light engraving on the cymbal. It may be hard to find if the cymbal is older or not been cleaned in awhile.

• 1 year later...

Archived