DRUMMERS PLEASE NOTE!!!!!

sydfan

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OK Syd, if ya really played drums for 15 years, I'll give ya some cred.

But, it can be played anyway a drummer wants. Although I must admit, I do, or did, play it full boar ride and crash all the way through.

You certainly CAN play it anyway you want. But your way would be wrong!!!

• Members

Is there really a right and wrong with music?

I play every song as if it were my own, never the same way twice.

Of course hitting the important aspects that make it recognizable to others as what song it is, but other than that, it's my song.. Figure if people want note for note of the original they could stick it in there pods..

• Members

You certainly CAN play it anyway you want. But your way would be wrong!!!

OK, you said Syd you were a drummer for 15 tears. Did you really read my post???

I was agreeing with your original post. I said, now pay close attention Buddy Richcen, I played it FULL BOAR, OR BORE, WITH CRASHES AND RIDES.

So if my way would be WRONG. then you are contradicting yourself. I mentioned nothing about playing hats Skipper. You've missed a couple different comments that have been posted in this thread as I noticed that you admitted that to one of the other guys. Did you miss your Ritalin dose today and your ADHD has flared up? Read the posts slowly and you'll be smoother on the up take and actually fully understand what our responses are to you.

Or, stop looking at every shiny thing you think you see go by your window.

Question: has anyone made a Baconhat before? If so, how many pound did it take? Sounds delisch to me and very fashionable also.

• Members

Yeah. . and I can't stand it when someone uses a doubleshuffle instead of a rubshuffle on SRV's "Cold Shot". . . :facepalm:

How esoteric is that? I mean, really. . . could we get a more useless topic? I'm quite certain both Jimi and Mitch would agree w/ the platitude "if it feels good, do it"

If the acoustics in the venue are right. . .and the band is smokin' hot. . .the crowd is primed and into the moment. . .and the whim strikes. . .Hell, I'll bang two badger carcasses together for a few bars in Purple Haze if it works during that particular musical conversation. . .

• Members

then you are contradicting yourself. I mentioned nothing about playing hats Skipper. You've missed a couple different comments that have been posted in this thread as I noticed that you admitted that to one of the other guys. Did you miss your Ritalin dose today and your ADHD has flared up? Read the posts slowly and you'll be smoother on the up take and actually fully understand what our responses are to you.

Or, stop looking at every shiny thing you think you see go by your window.

Question: has anyone made a Baconhat before? If so, how many pound did it take? Sounds delisch to me and very fashionable also.

But if you listen to the original studio recording, he's palying more of a march beat without any use of cymbals except for crashes, except during the solo during which he's using the bell of the ride cymbal. Try to keep up son!

:D

• Members

You guys keep bringing up live versions, while what I'm talking about is the studio version. I don't know how many more times I can say it, but you guys aren't going to listen to me anyway. Play it wrong! Knock yourself out! As long as you don't have to admit I'm right, even though I am!

:thu:

• Members

The studio version v.s. live version argument seems silly to me. The live version is occurring at a point in time when Mitch has had opportunity for reflection and the song has been able to evolve through practice and performance.
Obviously Mitch could've chosen to continue to play the tune w/o hats , but he chose to use them, meaning he decided that he wanted to hears some Mother Frackin' Hats , meaning the new version of the song includes hats , meaning the studio version is now the old version , meaning your whole premise is off. True statement: the studio version has no hats. False statement : Mitch didn't use his hats on Purple Haze.
Are you still keeping up?

• Members

The studio version v.s. live version argument seems silly to me. The live version is occurring at a point in time when Mitch has had opportunity for reflection and the song has been able to evolve through practice and performance.

Obviously Mitch could've chosen to continue to play the tune w/o hats , but he chose to use them, meaning he decided that he wanted to hears some Mother Frackin' Hats , meaning the new version of the song includes hats , meaning the studio version is now the old version , meaning your whole premise is off. True statement: the studio version has no hats. False statement : Mitch didn't use his hats on Purple Haze.

Are you still keeping up?

Are you guys all wives or something? You argue just like one.

• Members
You guys keep bringing up live versions, while what I'm talking about is the studio version. I don't know how many more times I can say it, but you guys aren't going to listen to me anyway. Play it wrong! Knock yourself out! As long as you don't have to admit I'm right, even though I am!

:thu:

I happened to be in the studio while Jimi was recording Purple Haze. Mitch was indeed using hats, but with his foot, playing with the backbeat. The hats weren't mic'd so they are not prominent. In fact, the whole kit was mic'd with only two mics, hence the tone.

I actually saw him hit the hats with his sticks at several points in the song, but because of the way it's recorded, it's hard to make out.

Just thought I'd clear that up for everyone.

:D:D

Archived