DRUMMERS PLEASE NOTE!!!!!

sydfan

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What about 22 seconds in right before he starts crashing it sounds like an open hi hat (although it could be a crash)? and if this is so im pretty impressed

I'm talking about whatMitch plays during the verses. He doesn't play a regular 4/4 beat using hi-hats, and EVERY drummer I've ever heard does use a hi-hat and it drives me nuts!

• Members

Thanks for stopping in to bitch in broad, general terms about every drummer who ever plays Purple Haze. It's so nice to see you're keeping with your regular practicing of posting here.

I forget how sensitive you guys are. I know it's hard to feel so inferior being just a drummer and all. I'm just trying to help!

:)

• Members

I think you need to go look at the woodstock video again...either hats or cymbal, he's playing them...do lots of intermittent fills, but still playing them. Just cause you can't here them doesn't mean that they are not there...

Yeah, live it was always different with Hendrix, but I'm talking about the studio version. I'm really surprised that no one has agreed with me! I would think that someone here would know how to accurately play Purple Haze!

• Members
I actually just noticed this...yesterday?... myself.

I found it interesting, but I think I'll still continue to play it with hats so the rest of the pep band doesn't look at me with judgmental eyes.

Just tell them ahead of time! Honestly, I think it would give the song the proper flavor!

• Members

i don't think i've ever played a song the same way twice. if that's what's expected, they can get a drum machine. if i'm gonna play a cover, i'll listen and play what i think is appropriate. unless i'm going for a tribute-thing.

(side note: the only drummer i tried to play note-for-note had been "puffy," in a faith no more cover. that dude has such a strange style. very cool.)

• Members
Then prove us wrong.

Or it'll sound ridiculously out of place as I try to fill up a basketball stadium with ghost notes on a snare drum.

I joke around and everyone takes it so seriously, which is why I kinda feed it. I just re-read and realized it'sa pep band and not a rock band. I don't know. But it does amaze me that I've never heard it covered properly.

• Members

...it does amaze me that I've never heard it covered properly.

Well, you should have been in PA at the Freeland Park Pavilion in 1978 when I played it with proper crash-riding and sang it too, as part of a medley that included Fire and Wind Cries Mary. Now quit yer bitchin'! ;)

• Members

Well, you should have been in PA at the Freeland Park Pavilion in 1978 when I played it with proper crash-riding
and sang it too
, as part of a medley that included
Fire
and
Wind Cries Mary
. Now quit yer bitchin'!
;)

YOU are my new Drum Forum hero!!!!

:love:

• Members

Syd, you've NEVER heard me play it either.

I assume you play every cover note for note also.

And I'm guessing your a lead guitarist.

It never ceases to amaze how much you guys know about how drums should be played, but couldn't play a double paradiddle/flam tap if your whammy bar depended on it. You guys are true freaks of musical nature.

But I get it, no hats.

• Members

Syd, you've NEVER heard me play it either.

I assume you play every cover note for note also.

And I'm guessing your a lead guitarist.

It never ceases to amaze how much you guys know about how drums should be played, but couldn't play a double paradiddle/flam tap if your whammy bar depended on it. You guys are true freaks of musical nature.

But I get it, no hats.

I played drums for 15 years before I switched to guitar. And of course, I don't play everything 100% accurate. It's just something that's always bugged me when I hear a band do Purple Haze.

Archived