A Question for Working DJs

engine505

• Members

when I was starting to play gigs back in my younger rock band years, we used to run into these {censored}holes that would not only refuse to pay us, but CHARGE us for our use of their stage and sound man. (a sound man who wasn't even at the board for our set mind you.) After the 2nd time of that, we never played anywhere before working out ALL of the money details.

The best advice you'll get here is to not even take your equipment out of the car until you know where you stand. It's all about the contract.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

You'll probably just have to take the loss, and consider this a learning experience. You should always have a signed agreement with all the details worked out. I've also learned to get a 50% nonrefundable deposit upfront, and/or get paid before you play. I also find it beneficial to have a deadline set for the confirmation, for example, getting the deposit and agreement anywhere from 2 weeks to 30 days before the booking date, otherwise it's no go. You'll quickly sort out who will treat you with professional respect, friends or not.

• Members

YES!!! Contracts are a must if your playing big gig's. I love to play out so sometimes I don't alwayz require a contract when its a small hole in the wall place or if its for a friend. The contract should state the date of the event, your time slot, accomodations, length of set, amount you will be paid (50% upfront is standard), this is where a manager or booking agent comes in handy. Dealing with promoters can get a little sticky, their not alwayz the most organized people....

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

the way it's worked with the small venues I've played so far is this:

venue keeps whatever the bar makes ; we keep whatever we make at the door.

Divide the door up by however many people you have working with you, after subtracting the parties expenses of course - and that's what you make.

Until or unless you're one of the few DJs out there who has a national or international following, don't expect much.

Archived