Best way to muffle a cowbell?

Dark Slide

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Have you played it with the band at normal band volume? Cowbells are loud when played solo, but you may want that punch to cut through the rest of the band when playing live. I don't muffle mine at all and it sounds great live.

btw, I've got this one...

LP-LP009.jpg

• Members

Thanks for the suggestions. It's definitely a new deal for me. 5 piece kit compared to my normal 7. No china, 1 cowbell. Weird. Spent all day trying to figure out how the frig I was going to make my rack work with it since I don't even OWN any pearl stands.

• Members

I tape.

Best I've seen was that blue crap that people used to use hang posters in the 80's , not sure what its called , but it comes in a little box , one box worth inside pressed into place.

is this what you're talking about?

5738x300.jpg

seems i'm still stuck in the '80s :thu:

• Members

I use an old fashioned BD hoop mount. So it sits between my snare and floor tom. Perfect position. I initially bought it to spice up some of the licks i learned from the Stanton Moore DVD. I couldn't imagine playing the stuff i do with it mounted to the left of my hats.

aAJtmDQBvF8

As for muffling, do you have any moongel lying around? Stick it on the inside. If not, pretty much anything that can be shoved in the cowbell will work. Have you used it live yet? You might find that in the mix, the ring isn't so persistant.

EDIT: And for the record, my hoop has received ZERO damage from mounting it that way. Trust me, i wouldn't put the original 60's Ludwig hoops in danger.

• Members

Ok, how about this:

How/where do you guys MOUNT your cow bell?

Hey there mister!, I don't know where in the hell you're from, but around these parts we don't do NO MOUNTING of any cow's or bells! Just what kind of strange person are you?? :confused:

Anyway, I haven't had a cowbell since my first set, but when I did this is what I used: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibraltar-SCAM1-Cowbell-Mount?sku=446103

Can mount (there's that word again) on your tom arm or cymbal stand. I ususally had mine like between my toms. I think you might like it anywhere you would put a pair of second hats, it takes up way less room.

Where ever you decide to MOUNT your cowbell, just do it in private where no one's watching or has to see it, let's just say don't ask, don't tell okay?? LOL :facepalm:

• Members

I haven't played it with the band, but I'll certainly check it out tomorrow. First practice with my kit. I was actually giving the fill in drummer a hard time for the dead rings he had on his toms, so I am generally not one to muffle unless it's required. In this instance I think there really needs to be some. If I hit it and just let it go, it'll literally ring for maybe 10 seconds.

I DID have it mounted between my toms, but found a way to mount it so it just peaks out under my hats, which seems to work well for me. Allows me quick transitions with minimal effort. So good. I was GOING to mount it on the bass drum in between the snare and floor tom like I've seen done, but if I play it with my right hand, I'd rather play open handed.

• Members

I have mine mounted just under my hats to allow for that easy transition between them or I play cowbell with my left which leaves my right to play hats, snare, toms, ride etc.

It's all very personal, you could even have two, on opposite sides of the kit.

Archived