Cymbal Cleaning: It's Very Tough Work! Know Of Any Effective Shortcuts?

sydfan

• Members

I cleaned our drummer's brass with CLR and kept them near a sink full of water. It pulled them shiney real quick with no work but I was worried about the chemistry so I neutralized them with baking soda buffed them with towels and then waxed then lightly with liquid automotive wax and final buffed them with felt.

No problems so far after 6-8 months but I never told him I used the CLR.

• Members

the best way to clean a cymbal is just let it be.i might wipe the top layer of dust off but that is it. i like the dull look for some reason.

i bought a old sabian crash and it had some white stuff on it and i used a little steel wool and it did the job

cymbals are like a fine wine,let them age

• Members

the best way to clean a cymbal is just let it be.i might wipe the top layer of dust off but that is it. i like the dull look for some reason.

i bought a old sabian crash and it had some white stuff on it and i used a little steel wool and it did the job

cymbals are like a fine wine,let them age

Exactly. I like my cymbals like I like my women: sturdy and dirty.

AK

• Members

Back when I used to clean cymbals, Groove Juice was the best way to do it. But I don't follow the on-bottle directions. I spray it on, lightly run a paper towel across to spread it evenly, then let it sit for 60 seconds. Take a 2nd paper towel that's fairly wet and rub it down (the cymbal should still be wet when you're done). Then take a clean dry cloth and rub it dry. Should be nice and shiny.

I guess I'm part of the patina brigade now...which is funny. Does that mean you think I'm old?

Archived