Pearl super pro GLX

HIV

• Members

ok no responses , more info , im currently playing a set of Granstars, im just wondering if the GLX kit would be much of an up grade the dude selling them is comparing them to the masters MCX of today but i cant find anything to back that up , any help would be nice

• Members

That would be why -- before my time in retail. I would definitely PASS -- Pearl hardware in the 80s was not reliable, and as you can see from the link, no suspension mounts. I wouldn't care if the tom mounts were the Ludwig or Tama style with just a few screw mounts, but the big 7/8 hole of the Pearl arm has always bugged me when drilled into the shell.

• Members

I remember a neighbor/mentor of mine had a set of GLX drums. They didn't sound any different than the pearl World series I had. The only real difference was he actually had a fair amount of trouble with those quick detach lugs. They would rattle , rarely held tension for more than a set of music. He tried in vain to correct it with all sorts of "jimmy fixes" but ended up selling them because he said he couldn't be bothered trying to track down replacement lugs that were from other lines that had the same hole pattern. If the drums came with {censored}ty lugs, he said they had a curse and sent them packing.

I'd definately pass, as if they were {censored}ty lugs a year after they were new, I doubt they got better 25 years later.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I realize this is an older post, but I wanted to comment on the Pearl Super Pro GLX series since there are so many comments from people without first hand knowledge of this kit.

Yes, Pearl put out this kit in 1985 (1985-1988). This was Pearls top of the line kit at the time. The link above shows a metal kit that is not even in the same category as the GLX.

The GLX has a six ply maple shell, with excellent hoops, quick release lugs that are made with solid brass parts (yes they were expensive) and superb hardware. Pearl built this exceptional kit to break into the US market of high end drums.

I talked with a Pearl representative in Japan several years ago. He told me that Pearl discontinued the GLX series because the production cost was too high and most buyers, at the time, were looking for a middle of the road, inexpensive set like Tama or Ludwig was offering.

I bought my kit in 1985 because the quality was obvious. I still play it and have never had issues with tuning or rattling.

Eric Singer, the drummer for Alice Cooper and the current drummer for KISS, has used his Pearl GLX kit since the 80's. In 2010, Singer had his GLX kit refinished (after 25 years) so he could use it on the 2011 KISS tour (google it!).

Today, the closest kit to the GLX is the Pearl Masters Series and those come with a hefty price tag. If you can find a GLX kit that has been taken care of, and someone who is willing to part with it (I'm not), I highly recommend you buy it. You won't be sorry.

• 7 years later...
  • Members

Ive got a kit from 1985 which I picked up in the early nineties.... I didnt want a metal snare so I had Schuh custom drums in Albequerque wrap a six play Kellar shell in matching Piano Black and use it with a Pearl free floater system with puresound snarewires

As I understand it these are the only Pearl drums where Pearl used Kellar shells. This set has three rack toms.... I never used the 10” but I mounted the 13 and 14 On isolation rims...

Ive had numerous sound guys complement me on the sound.... Ive now retired from touring so theyve been in their cases for a couple of years....if theres some cat out there who really has to have them and is prepared to make me a serious offer because they know what theyre worth and how they sound Im prepared to part with them..... the drums are currently located in Toronto Canada I can be contacted at 416-801-1776 or criscob321@gmail.com..... Crisco

Archived