I get really tired while playing drums...

Bopshuwadi

• Members

... how can I stop that? Its really hard to play drums because I have been getting super tired and about 20 minutes into playing my arms are like rubber and I am trying to catch my breath.

This wasnt the case before I got my double kick pedal. Since I got it and I changed my set up I have been super tired.

Is there any exercises or anything to make me able to play for longer? Its mostly my right arm (It does most of the work because my only cymbal is on the right side of the kit and I use it for blast beats) and my legs that get really tired.

Any ideas?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You are doing a physical activity and like any other physical activity you are going to have to build up endurance. A lot of my students are suprised when they have to play songs for the first time and about halfway through just one song they are having trouble keeping the beat because their arms and legs are tiring. Then I tell them to imagine playing 40 or more songs in a night. You are going to have to practice beats for even longer than you would normally play them. Practice fills around the kit not just once, but over and over till you can do them without thinking about it and your body just does it naturally with ease. Learn to relax as you play and you will use less energy to do the same amount of work.

• Members

Might be calling BS, might be noobish.

Muscle memory and repetitive motion help to cut down on fatigue. If you're used to doing it, its a walk in the park.

Far as Bun goes...Charlie Watts hits harder than he does....and there is a slight tiny difference between 'Surrender' and most Black/Death/Extreme Metal songs. Just sayin, its in the eye of the beholder.

• Members

^

Add morbidly to that.

I'm still pretty hefty, and I don't have the problem of "tiring out."

If you're using your whole arm(s) to do blast beats, there within lies the problem. All you're doing is flailing around behind the kit like a retard without any technique. Use your wrists. And don't play blast beats if you're just starting out. Learn to crawl before you can walk, or run while screaming rape (those are blast beats).

• Members

It's drums, not the flute right?

Now ya know why rock stars are always soaked in sweat back there behind the kit. They got hot lights beating down on them, and they're getting a work out back there.

It's ok to work up a sweat, it's ok to get a work out. I keep a towel with me. BUT.. Listen to these guys, and watch the DVD's man. If you use proper technique, and relax, and let the fingers, wrists, and stick do the work for you, the masters will look like they are sitting still, but blazing across the kit, because the mastered the skill of efficiency.

I been a heavy smoker 17 years, I eat like crap, and never drink water. I can last a 3-4 hour set no problem, but am soaked, and drained when we are done. But I also use the arms a lot, cause I want to, and also cause being efficient isn't as easy to do as it sounds.

Practice practice practice..

• Members

This wasnt the case before I got my double kick pedal. Since I got it and I changed my set up I have been super tired.

and my legs that get really tired.

Any ideas?

try shifting your centre of gravity, lift or lower your throne whichever applies to you and practice more....and what all the others said too.:thu:

• Members

Take some light 5 pound weights and do that exercise where they start down at yr hips and bring your arms all the way out and up like yr some bird flapping its wings or some {censored}, bring em back down, repeat until you cant anymore. do this a lot.

• Members

Everyone saying 'play more', that's really it, isn't it?

You want to be able to play for 30 minutes straight without getting tired?

Learn how to play for 60 straight.

Work on technique, try to use more wrist than full arm, but yep: play more and more on a REGULAR basis to build up your stamina.

Archived