Evans E-Ring Problems

WWPD

• Members

I have a brand new Ludwig Element Retro SE 4 piece kit, and bought some E-rings to eliminate the ringing. The one on the 14' snare sounds GREAT, but the rings on the rack and floor tom keep buzzing, creating a worse problem (sound-wise) than the simple ringing. Any ideas?

• Members

Possibilities include some combination of: loose tension, uneven heads/tuning, bad edges -this one is bad. It means the drum isn't cut perfectly straight and should be redone or replaced.

^ this, one of the above probably, try re-tuning the batters and eliminate any creases in the heads, doesn't take much of a gap between the ring and head to cause buzz.

• Members

Just to mention the obvious, over which I have an extremely firm grasp, the rings need to be perfectly flat to work without buzzing. No creases. They're too light to lie flat under their own weight, so even a little bit of a bend in them can cause this.

• Members

Here's a trick I've been doing personally...

I take that little piece of cardboard you tear off on the Kleenex boxes, and tape it to the underside of my batter. I use painters tape, so it doesn't leave residue.

It sucks if you're one to constantly change your toms sound. But I pretty much love my sound right now and don't anticipate changing it anytime soon.

Archived