Anybody drill holes in their bottom hi-hat?

Gremson

• Members

the quickbeat's holes are the same size as the center, but I doubt there's an exact science to their reason. Probably just saving on changing drill bit size. I'd find where you want the first hole, tape or draw a line straight across and follow the lathe groove. A three hole pattern would look cool.

14_hh_bot.jpg

• Members

anytime you drill the integrity is somewhat affected, but I wouldn't worry about creating a weird overtone from a bottom hat. Honestly I doubt there is a wrong place, I've seen them on the bell, the bow, and the sabian EQ's on the edge. Holes are mostly for a cleaner chick (which I'm sure you're not used to) :)

• Members

Funny, in 45 years of drumming I've never experienced "hat lock." Maybe it's because I
tilt the bottom cymbal
with the built-in tilter designed for the purpose? It's a mystery.

Me too. I've NEVER had any of my hihats do this. I tilt mine ever-so-slighty...but even in the cases where the hithats were flat on the stand, no air- lock ever happened.

Grem, if you have extra hihats to mess around with, then I would say fine, try it, but I wouldnt drill my only hihats. The bottom of a Quick Beat cymbal is almost flat with no bell. There (might) be a reason for why they do this. Maybe to compensate for the drill holes in some way? I dunno, I'm not a cymbal maker or anything...but almost all Zildjian hihats have bells on the bottom cymbals...except for the Quick Beats. There may be a link between the holes and the flat bottom.

• Members

15" New Beat top/Quick Beat bottom has been my go-to hat combination since I bought them new in '78. The flat QB bottom is a seriously dry, high-pitched cymbal, and I believe the holes help with freedom-of-movement when articulating with the top cymbal, as there can never be even a small amount of motion-inhibiting suction. Combined, that dryness and always-free-rocking motion deliver a subtle degree of sustain control range that I just don't get with other hats.

On the downside, that dryness, (to which the holes probably even add), can, in some situations, result in a weak presence, which is why I favored the 15-inchers over a smaller size.

• Members

Why the {censored} would you drill holes in your hi hat cymbal?

You didn't mention having any problems with it.

Don't be stupid man.

I knew somebody would chime in with something like this.

I don't really want to, I was just thinking about it, and was curious what y'all thought about it.:poke:

• Members

I wonder where to drill, or how big the holes should be....

Make at least one test drill on the the lady with the irresistible urge of getting drilled. Then measure the position and diameter of the hole; draw a round plan and drill the hat accordingly. Alternatively you can staple the lady and the hat and make one free form drill all at once.

The hole on my drum&bass/hi-tec style speed hats are 1" and three of them... nothing for you because I have three dicks.

Archived