Sign in to follow this  
slap happy drums

I started a new band

So for awhile now I've been way into 2nd line New Orleans music, figured I should start a band......done.

We had our first practice today, and I need to fill out the band with a few more horns still, but it's happening.

I had low expectations that were blow away as soon as we started. Very excited to be making this happen.

Awesome! Nothing is more exciting (to me at least) then getting a new band up off the ground.

How did you find members?

So for awhile now I've been way into 2nd line New Orleans music, figured I should start a band......done.

Congrats on the new band slap. I'm not familiar with the genre, is it a " mardi gras/jazz/fusion/big band" type mix or am I on the wrong track?

awesome, man!

2nd line is a real old jazz style (like, probably the first). So, think of dixieland jazz and you're on the right track

Congrats on the new band slap. I'm not familiar with the genre, is it a " mardi gras/jazz/fusion/big band" type mix or am I on the wrong track?

Pretty much, it's based on the Jazz funeral and the Dirge on the way to the cemetery (the first line), then the up-tempo jam on the way back in celebration was the 2nd line. You also here people say it's in reference to people dancing behind the parading musicians, musicians being the first line and the dancer being the second.

Basically it's Dixieland w/ attitude and a funkier groove and lots of improv and call and response. Modern bands have taken it in many directions, we're staying pretty true to the basic definition I just gave.

Most 2nd line bands march, we're not gonna worry about that until we've got the music down and a fan base built.

Here's a bit o' New Birth Brass Band

[YOUTUBE]lIAU-jcAFcw&feature[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]BQuseWdKwJg[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]l5mYa4Hk1zM&feature[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]aVfUqeIP5Ak&feature[/YOUTUBE]

If you dig these guys check out their albums, friggen great.

Best be careful. . .you'll start w/ secondline. . .next thing you know, you'll be mainlinin' the Meters like a true junkie. . .

Congrats on the new group. Here's to much success.