Let's talk about cheap cymbals...

The Professiona

• Members

... if you don't mind, that is.

I'm looking to get some more variety around my kit without putting a lot of money into it (at the moment). Call it more of a, I'm looking to try out some new cymbal arrangements and set-ups, and since none of the local music stores will let me take home their entire inventory to try out for a few weeks, I figure I should buy some inexpensive effects. But I don't want crap.

So, my question is, of the non-big-Three (Paiste, Zildjian, Sabian) brands, what are considered alternative good brands of cymbals, that don't cost quite as much as these? And yes, I know, I know that it can be pretty subjective, so my question is not about me asking you to help me pick out good-sounding cymbals. I'm talking about (and asking for) information on well-made-but-inexpensive cymbals which are not in those higher prices. Any thoughts on the subject?

Thanks!

• Members

You can normally find an odd sized Wuhan China for $10-$30.

I have a 14" mini-china that I love and only cost me $10.

Also, keep an eye out on craigslist for people selling that sort of thing also. You can also get some broken or cracked cymbals cheep and make effects that way.

DB

• Members

Cheap cymbals sound cheap, and can only be made to sound cheaper.

Cheap drums can be made to sound like good drums.

Just saying.

There's usable tone in cheap stuff. I went through a period with a cookie sheet for a ride, a baking pan with bare wire taped to it for a snare, and a desk shelf - still on the desk, for a kick. Real sticks though. There's no substitute for good cymbals but any array of sounds will make music - if YOU can.

• Members

There's usable tone in cheap stuff. I went through a period with a cookie sheet for a ride, a baking pan with bare wire taped to it for a snare, and a desk shelf - still on the desk, for a kick. Real sticks though. There's no substitute for good cymbals but any array of sounds will make music - if YOU can.

+1 1K1

• Members

I like Saludas but I think I'm the only one who prefers them to the big three. Also everyone loves Dream for super dark jazzy stuff.

I just ordered a new 17" Tesla crash. I requested a little extra lathing on the edge and a larger bell IF he can do it. Also, I ordered a 6" Tesla bell, and a 6" and 7" V-Bells. So I can appreciate a good deal of Jamie's inventory to the big three.. I think I'll then own 5 Saluda Cymbals, two sets of Hi-Hats (one set from you I think) and the three bells. I think Jamie does a nice job I you hit on the series that is pleasing to your ears.

• Members

I have a couple of cheap Agazarian splashes (6 and 8) I got at Guitar center for next to nothing. I went through about 30 pair combinations in the store before I picked the 2 that sounded best together though. They are mounted in my set above the 10 inch Ryobi sawblade.

• Members

Thanks for all the responses! It seems Dream and Saluda are a couple brands worth looking into.

I suppose I should clarify, I'm not buying cymbals just so I'll have enough to place around my kit to rearrange things - if that were the case, I'd just cut out cardboard like someone said. I'm looking to find ways to experiment with my drumming style, and one way I want to do that is to be a bit more percussive in accent cymbals. For the record, I'm also adding a lot of percussion to my kit, but I know what percussion sounds good - the cymbals need trial and error, so I want to start with not-too-expensive.

The Wuhan 12" splash mentioned will probably be the first thing I try - what about weird effects cymbals, like the new Sabian Ozones and such - any cheaper brands doing some crazy stuff like that?

• Members

Thanks for all the responses! It seems Dream and Saluda are a couple brands worth looking into.

I suppose I should clarify, I'm not buying cymbals just so I'll have enough to place around my kit to rearrange things - if that were the case, I'd just cut out cardboard like someone said. I'm looking to find ways to experiment with my drumming style, and one way I want to do that is to be a bit more percussive in accent cymbals. For the record, I'm also adding a lot of percussion to my kit, but I know what percussion sounds good - the cymbals need trial and error, so I want to start with not-too-expensive.

The Wuhan 12" splash mentioned will probably be the first thing I try - what about weird effects cymbals, like the new Sabian Ozones and such - any cheaper brands doing some crazy stuff like that?

I just bought a new 18" Ozone, which I love. And to answer your question, yes Saluda has a Ozone copy in addition to a hexagonal in the new Tesla line very similar to Sabian's. Don't know how either sound though. I do know that Whiplash Band loved his Hex from Sabian, and I dug my EFX A Custom, but it's got some small cracks at the ends of the holes and it's paper thin.

• Members

try used on Ebay,all kinds of weird stuff for cheap.If you don't like it resale it.

• Members

I will agree with the others plus might also check out Meinl cymbals. I would also check out craigslist or e-bay for deals on the big three. I would also go by local music stores, GC and the like to see what they have on clearance. Pawn shops, cosignment shops as well. Alternative places to find and buy cymbals plus look for closeouts on entry level by the big three as well. Just meaning that you may be about to find a used Sabian B8 crash for around the same price as a new Wuhan or Meinl cymbal and then could have a decent entry Level cymbal for around the same price as a lesser known newer cymbal. good luck.

• Members

I have bought several used cymbals through eBay and this and the Saluda forum, only got burned once (small cracks I could not see so seller probably did not see them either).

Also, and I think someone mentioned this already, the big companies have some lesser expensive lines as well. I once had some Paiste PST 5 cymbals that were decent and the Sabian XS20, though not a "budget" line maybe, has some nice pies. Also the whole Sabian SR2 line of "refurbished" cymbals which you can check out at mycymbal.com

Archived