Midi recording setup question, Roland SPDS

ckcondon

• Members

I've already posted this in the recording forum, but I figure you guys might also have some insight.

I'm looking to use my Roland SPDS multipad to record some demos with my band.

I'd like to use the built in midi to record a drum track and use BFD or another VST for sound.

I'm on and macbook pro with logic Express.

I'm fairly computer savvy, but clueless about how to set up the midi functions and voices.

I can get the pad communicating with Logic, but I'm not sure how to map each pad for a specific sample (kick/Snare etc.). Right now the only sounds that are coming through are misc perrcussion no matter what patch im in on the SPDS.

Thanks!

Chris

Any step by step suggestions would help me tremendously!

• Members

I haven't done this in a lot of years but isn't one midi channel supposed to br set up for one mid device instead of different tracks. One device has multiple note xapabilities so each instrument is another note number not midi channel number. In order to use one instrument per channel, you would have to map a note to a particular channel and that relies on the polyphony of the instrument as to how many cahnnels can be used for that same instrument/ module. When I used my U20 I assigned a differnt sound (not instrument in the SAME sound) to a channel. On the U20, all the drums themselves were in ONE sound source dedicated to ONE channel. You would have to be assigning the same channel multiple times and using only specific notes to a channel, which sounds ludicrous to me, but if that's what you want. Which you would have to do is take a specific sound, assign it a MIDI number. Go into your software, label an input and link it to a channel and then only have that sound on a channel. Then you would have to record one channel at a time.

It's probably not done that way any more but that's my 2 cents anyway...sorry I couldn't be more help.

• Members

You're right but he can't find the assignments. Just took a post at it. The Pad s might have fixed templates only, which the soft end needs to be configured for. Prolly with that grammar too lol. I'd say get both manuals and look under Midi, sysex, system, configurations, --- there must be a couple ways.

• Members

Thanks guys,

I looked at the SPDS manual and the midi section is a bit like calculus to me!

Just like anything, I'm sure I can figure it out with a bit of time. I was hoping to save some by getting the shortcuts from someone who knows how to do it.

• Members

Check out page 121 in the manual... Algebra to me!

I can set up the basic audio functions, but I don't have a clue what that stuff means!
:facepalm:

You do know why that is don't you. Roland manuals are notorious for being bad! WhY? because they are translated direct from Japanese...even with all the idiosycracies. I have a Roland U20 and in order to fully understand it when I had my midi studio, I had to buy a 3rd party book from Alexander Publishing explaining the whole rig for me in English...not Klingonese! I'd look for one of those books for the SPDS if I were you...

Archived