Paiste Giant Beat vs. Zildjian K

Bastard Supreme

• Members

I'm looking to replace my {censored}ty Paiste 201s that I've had since I started drumming about two years ago. I play garage rock, psychedelic, shoegaze, and somewhat fusiony type stuff. Which would you recommend? With the Giant Beats, I'm looking at the 24" ride, 18" crash, and 15" hi-hats. I tried both the ride and crash in person, and I really liked them both. As for the K's, I'm looking at the 22" K Ride, 18" Dark Medium Thin Crash, and 15" Light Hi-Hats. I haven't had a chance to try any of these out.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

• Members

The K dark med crashes are amazing, they have a crazy amount of shimmer, and a washy decay.. one of my favorite crashes for sure. I tried a 20" K ride before and it was really crisp, just a bit too dry for me, though. That probably doesn't help, but man really a 24" ride? That's a monster.

• Members

Yeah, I know. These are really the only two current production cymbal series that I like. I might mix it up between the two. I'm looking for cymbals that are on the lighter side. A bit dark. More washy than dry. I don't know. I really like the sounds Patrick Keeler gets out of his Giant Beats, but then again I also really like the sound Carla Azar gets out of her Ks.

• Members

I"m A K guy but I like them both. If you decide to go the turkish K route you should check out Diril cymbals "Special Series". I've been a K guy for years and I played 2 notes on one of their 22" rides and said goodbye to Zildjian. They might be hard to find but on the website they say that if you are having trouble they will sell directly to you. They also worked with Paiste on the Twenty line and with Meinl on the Byzance line. Sorry but I never heard any of the crashes. I use some K crashes with my Diril ride.

http://www.dirilcymbalsusa.com/index.html

Archived